You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So Still Life 2 got released in German

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
Banned User

Default So Still Life 2 got released in German

... for German customers only though. It's available via download (and for those with an extra 30 dollars to spend) on the official website. Have any of the German members here started playing Still Life 2? Any good?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Hi! My first post here, i've been following the forum for several months and decided to register today

I'm a fan of Still Life, and was surprised to know that was released today... only in Germany. Anyone knows when will it be released in the rest of europe? Is the german version only in german language?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #3

Welcome Roper. I'm really looking forward to Still Life 2 myself. I would assume the German version would be in German only but I understand the English version should be released soon.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Stalker of Britain

Welcome to the forums, Roper!!! Love your name/avvie. He rocked!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Schättenjager

Is this game still have ps2 graphics or these screens for April 1?:

Unbelievable, graphics worse off than Still life so bet atmosphere too and they asking for 30 € for it. Show some respect to adv.gamers who forced you make rt 3d while obvious you have no assets up for it.Btw I dont want to spoil "possible great plot"that fans longed for and only valuable aspect of game left .

Booo:

Aw that's hurt me eyes(Remind me GK3,what wait a minute)

Last edited by Gabe; 04-02-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
handsome

ew!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #7

Just awful
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
In an evening of July...

This is a joke, right? Still Life was beautiful as far as I remember, what the hell is this? Also, I haven't been following the news too closely, but the release seems a little sudden to me.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #9

Looks awful
Why did they moved to 3d?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #10

Na, it´s not THAT bad.
Definately NOT state of the art, but it´s an adventure game ...

If the game should deliver story & puzzle wise I´d get it nonetheless.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #11
Schättenjager

Fienepien playing this game right now,i wonder can she give some hope for devastated fans?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

Why did they switch to 3D is beyond me but I still want to play it badly
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Banned User

must b some early screens...
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Fienepien playing this game right now,i wonder can she give some hope for devastated fans?
I will let you know how I feel about it, but I've hardly played it at all. And since I got myself a new computer it's like I'm having technical problems with almost every game I play...

I don't like 3D in general and I much preferred the graphics of the first Still Life. The inventory system is a drag. The story seems fine to me at this point.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #15

So, at first the obvious:
Yes, the graphics are that bad. And those tiny production values are reflected in a lack of either fluent animation or animation at all, and the fact that the only thing GameCo associates "polish" with is probably that country to the east.

Further fun facts:
1. timed sequences. Apparently, they aren't even rare or anything.
2. death sequences. See above.
3. the inventory. Ever wanted to see how you can really drive away the player? Add an inventory system with limited space.
I mean, yes, I understand they are going for realism, and it would be ridiculous for a character to stuff a ladder in her pocket, but couldn't they just prevent you from interacting with anything unrelated as long as you are holding a ladder? Or a fire exstinguisher?

I took a break from the game now. In fact, since the time I started it at six o'clock, I took several breaks. I loved Still Life. Still Life 2 is not my kind of game, at all. GameCo didn't make an effort to create something that feels similar to the predecessor. I understood the choice of Microids to give the player a clear direction as to what to do, and therefore not create too complex puzzles in Still Life 1 (let's not debate cookies now. And I still find the lockpick one ingenious), Still Life 2 in that respect might appeal to many others, because it puts puzzles far above narrative. The puzzles are... allright. The problem is the lack of immersion and the frustration with the navigation that takes away from the fun it could be to solve them. Plus, I really don't feel that this kind of story really fits into the pacing of an adventure game. This kind of story also doesn't fit into a game with such a low budget. This game heavily borrows from Saw (and the killer talks like he just swallowed Jigsaw), and the game is divided into segments that are reminiscent of what the characters in Saw have to go through. But in my opinion, a game needs to have you suspend your disbelief, like fiction in general, not show you health bars, give you a cumbersome inventory, have you stash items in crates to make room for other items to use them to get your old items back to use them somewhere else..., irritate you with its camera, have you squint at the screen because of its utter blackness (the game does not have a gamma adjust-option...)...
There are so many flaws, so many wrong turns taken... But anyway, truth is, the game is fine. I'd probably rate it a 6.0 or something. Maybe the story will blow me away.
In fact, GameCo, so far, apparently did some attentive research into the story of Still Life 1, tying up several loose ends that were quite subtle. It's still no continuation written by Mathieu Lariviére, and the game does not really take time to reveal what has happened after Victoria shot the killer, but rather progresses the story quickly through newspaper articles, amongst other things, but it is a strong motivation of mine to continue Still Life 2, just to get to the end of GameCo's interpretation of the story of Still Life 1. Actually, I am begging for a walkthrough to come out, soon, so I can fast forward through the game part of Still Life 2 and enjoy the narrative. Hopefully. The writing is alright (in German), but certainly not the best, and awkward at times. "Hey Claire, what about Mia? You know, Mia, Mia, the last victim of the killer, Mia? You know which killer, right? The "Masked Killer" (great pseudonym, by the way)!" The exposition kind of sounds like that. Well...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
In an evening of July...

Oh man, what a disappointment. Now I won't even touch it.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #17

Hummm, at least i hope the story is ok.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #18

I found this gameplay video for Still Life 2 posted on another site
http://www.vimeo.com/3996435
The person who uploaded it didn't think much of the game.

He's also got a gameplay video for Book of Unwritten Tales, which he liked much better.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #19

Thanks for the insight Lacrima, much appreciated. I wasn't sure about this one after enjoying Still Life but hearing about the plans for number 2.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Banned User

I don't think it looks cheap or that the budget was low. The inventory and that call function seems quite advanced. Anyway, hopefully I'll like it. I was really expecting a lot of it.