You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Games similar to Safecracker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #1

Default Games similar to Safecracker

Hello gamers,

New to this site, but I felt my question would be best answered here, not sure.

Looking for some advice on games that are similar to Safecracker. For those old enough to remember, my favorite games were Zork I, Zork II, Zork III. Zork Inquisitor was very good as well. Myst would be another example. In other words, games where you look, find, objects, that are useful for solving other things as well. I found safecracker to be similar in nature. While it consisted of just solving puzzles on a safe in each room, you still got objects that worked in other places, etc.

For years, it seems as though it's very hard to find games like this. Again, for those of you who remember, the ZORK games were perfect. Hours of fun, and very very challenging.

I'm hoping that I can get some ideas/tips as to other games that are out there that are similar in nature.

Thanks for everyone's input/time on this matter...

Scott
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Sounds like your description would apply to most adventure games

If you want a game that just focuses on puzzles and have a DS, I can recommend Professor Layton. You to collected things like pieces of other puzzles and stuff for your room, but nothing in broad term like standard inventory items like most adventure games.

Return to Mysterious Island might fit the bill as well, there is a demo on the net. It is in Volume 1 Adventure Collection by Dreamcatcher Interactive(edit: actually I think it is the Adventure Company) as well, at least in North America

I've never played it, but since you are a Zork fan have you played Zork Nemesis?

Last edited by PhoenixWrong; 01-07-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Easily amused

Here's a few:
the Rhem games (3 of them)
Alida
Aura
Sacred Rings
Black Dahlia
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #4

Thank you all so far...

(Phoenix): Yes, I have played; completed Zork Nemesis.

Have you played them? Zork II is my all time favorite.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Your average crooner

The other games I can think of that are similar to the Safecrackers (you played them both, didn't you?) are Ripper and Black Dahlia. They have use of objects, many mechanical puzzles, and some obscure enigmas. And are very well written.

Though their engine is quite dated
Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #6

Hi Scott, try Return To Ravenhearst. It's filled with strange locking devices:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...rst/index.html
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsgolf View Post
Thank you all so far...
Have you played them? Zork II is my all time favorite.
Actually I've never played the original Zork games. I do have Zork Grand Inquisitor which I enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
The other games I can think of that are similar to the Safecrackers (you played them both, didn't you?)
Wait, there are two safecracker games?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
Actually I've never played the original Zork games. I do have Zork Grand Inquisitor which I enjoy.

You would really enjoy the original Zork games. Play them in order. I, II, III.

You will need an older computer (operating system) to play them. You aren't spoiled like we are these days with visuals and graphics. Just words and imagination, but loaded with challenges. You need a large notepad. You can find a map online which will help a lot, but also takes some of the fun/challenge away. Let me know if you try them. Again, I am willing to bet, you will enjoy it very much. They are tough in spots.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-09-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
Wait, there are two safecracker games?
Yep. And I still prefer the first one: it has barely a story, but the puzzles are more fun.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/safecracker

But I don't know how it will run on modern systems ...
Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #10

Default 2 safecrackers

The first is a 2000 release. Daydream (Swedish) / Dreamcatcher. My copy reverted to a Swedish inventory which is unusable (handle not defined error message). This was played (partly) under VM, Win95. Managed only 50% before use of inventory became obligatory. Uses Macromedia and Quicktime.

The second is 2006 release. Kheops studio (French)/ Adventure Co. Playing this now. Works fine.

I preferred the earlier release, but the error is a bummer.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I removed the link you posted, Statsgolf, since I highly doubt that the download there presented is totally legal. It's true that Infocom is no more, but Zork rights weren't made free, as in the Beneath a Steel Sky case, for example.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I removed the link you posted, Statsgolf, since I highly doubt that the download there presented is totally legal. It's true that Infocom is no more, but Zork rights weren't made free, as in the Beneath a Steel Sky case, for example.

Actually it seems that they were, Andrea, but only EDIT:there is allowed to have it.

EDIT: allowed by activision, don't remember the reason exactly

Last edited by Risingson; 01-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The games were made free for a limited period of time for the launch of Zork Nemesis by Activision. As far as I know, neither the Zork games nor the other Infocom's adventures are downloadable for free.

Here's an in-depth discussion upon this particular subject.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Your average crooner

Yep, you are right, I've looking for this through threads, and the typical abandonware problems arised: freeware is not the same as abandoned, and "included with zork nemesis" isn't the same as freeware. I though that it happened like many other games (Red Alert, for example): you can download the game for free but only from some allowed sites. Now I see it isn't the case.

Anyway, people. Just google zork and freeware, and you will find something.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsgolf View Post
You would really enjoy the original Zork games. Play them in order. I, II, III. You will need an older computer (operating system) to play them.
Statsgolf, you can download DOSbox (free program) to play most DOS adventures. For Infocom games like the original Zork games there's an even nicer solution: the older emulator Winfrotz, also free. I don't know if it works in Vista, but it works like a charm with all the previous Windows versions.

Other suggestions for puzzle games in the vein of Safecracker:
Jewels of the Oracle 1 and 2
Shivers 1 and 2
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Clandestiny
The Neverhood

PS: All of them games with stand-alone puzzles, so more like Safecracker, not much like Zork.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #16

Have you tried other games in the Myst series, like Riven and Myst III: Exile?
The most recent "puzzle" game I know of is Azada. But most of the puzzles aren't very difficult -- at least I didn't find them to be very difficult.
An older game that hasn't been mentioned yet is Milo
Obsidian is great, if you can find a copy.