You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Games that you never played but always wanted to

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
Schattenjäger

Default Games that you never played but always wanted to

For years I would read about how great Grim Fandango was. I thought I would never play it, since it was not supported by ScummVM.

Yet only last year it was miraculously rereleased in Australia, along with several other LucasArts titles as part of the classics series. One game in my narrowing list down.

However, there is one title on my mind that still eludes me. It is a game that I have constantly seen praised in this forum, and often listed among people's top ten adventure games. It received a perfect five stars from this website.

I have been unable to play Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. For some reason I have encountered issues with DosBox despite carefully following tutorials. One issue was that my slash key would bizarrely appear in the wrong direction when writing commands. I somehow got it working a while ago, but several annoying aspects made it unplayable, unfortunately.

If only Sierra games could be easily emulated and run on my Vista laptop.

A special off-topic mention goes out to Planescape: Torment, which failed to run a few hours earlier after I mounted it with Daemon tools.

Alas, some day I will experience it...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizman View Post

If only Sierra games could be easily emulated and run on my Vista laptop.
They are! A bit of DOS BOX (and Collector's Installers) and they'll run without any problem!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #3

I just recently bought a new laptop with Vista, and one of the first things I did was attempt to get Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 running on it, which I was able to do with a minimum of effort.

Go to this site here: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/gkpatches/
and save the Gabriel Knight XP Installer. Put the Gabriel Knight CD in your computer, and if auto-run causes it to start, close the window that comes up. Instead, double-click the Gabriel Knight Installer and follow the simple steps. Hopefully it will work for you, and if it does you'll be able to play GK1 without needing to have the cd in your computer. You can also find the patch for Gabriel Knight 2 and it does the same thing, which is great, as it's on 6 disks.

Good Luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I didn't know that Endroz patches work even for Vista! And Collector alredy told me that GK3 runs in Vista without problems!

I'm so happy... Considering that my PC recently died (I'm currently on my old laptop), now I can consider a new PC with Vista!

Thanks Kazmajik for the info!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #5

I have always wanted to play Tex Murhpy games. So many people praise them and detective themes are my favourite. But they are FPP and I am anxious I will lose my way or get dizzy as it usually happens when I atttempt to play FPP.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
The Quiet One

That Gabriel Knight XP Installer isn't 100% stable i'm afraid. Shame, because the Windows version of Gabriel Knight is the one i'd rather play. But i keep getting a crash during the cutscene at Lake Pontchartrain. 2004 was the last time it was updated and it doesn't look like it'll be updated anytime soon.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
handsome

Someone should make a thread like this in the General Section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
I have always wanted to play Tex Murhpy games. So many people praise them and detective themes are my favourite.
Yup, I've always wanted to play Under a Killing Moon.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Schattenjäger

It seems like there are really different experiences with the GK1 XP installer, since i know some others who had problems with it, while it worked perfectly on my own pc.

By the way , now that the Tex Murphy games were mentioned i´ll post this link, just in case. On this page you´ll find patches, tools and whatever you need to get the Tex games to work. (And lots of other Tex Murphy stuff like the Tex Murphy Radio Theatre for example)
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/MAIN%20PAGE.swf

But coming back to the topic of this thread, i probably would have to say that I have no mouth and i must scream is something i wanted to check out for years, but it never happened ( i´m sure it will happen sooner or later though).
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #9

Let's see Sam and Max 2, and Leisure Suit Larry 8.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Dread Pirate

I own it, and I keep meaning to, but *gulp* I've never played Day of the Tentacle.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #11

Either Full Throttle sequel...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #12

Full Throttle sequels?!?!?

I always wanted to play the Tex Murphy games, or Leisure Suit Larry series. I'l get to em when I get to em. Have to leave SOME stones unturned....right?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #13

I never got around to playing Tex Murphy Overseer, but I loved Pandora Directive and Under a Killing Moon.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Are You Afraid of The Dark.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #15

I'm playing many old classic titles for the past time so I'm catching up.
I still have to take a look at the Tex Murphy series and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Oh, and maybe some Sierra titles like Conquests of the Longbow.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Many Sierra quests still await me. As well as most of Interactive Fiction - both old an new.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #17

I really should get to play Shadow of Destiny one day; I keep hearing good things about it. But finding where to buy such an old game is probably going to be a drag, and therefore can wait some more.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
The Quiet One

I guess the FMV Tex Murphy games means they've been praised and talked about a lot here. And also Sam & Max - Season Two, if it ever gets released in retail stores.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #19

Tex Murphy FMV games ...

Is there a way to get them for a moderate price ?

EDIT
Other than e-bay, that is ...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #20

Toonstruck is probably one of the hardest games to get to work properly. That being said, I have played it and gotten it to work because I've kept my old PC with Windows 98, just for the games I can't get to work with DosBox or ScummVM. Even so, my PC was still a tad too fast for Toonstruck, making a couple puzzles really difficult, but I managed to get through it somehow.

Other than that, I haven't had a problem with getting older games to work. Where there is a will there is a way, and I usually find a way. Unfortunately though, my laptop has Windows Vista which simply will not run certain games no matter what I do, but then I have a backup because my dad's PC has XP, so I use that. I think it pays off to have several computers that will run different generations of games.

There's almost no game I wouldn't be able to play. The ones haven't played yet, I simply haven't gotten around to, like for example, the first two Gabriel Knight games.