You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just finished Rhiannon and loved it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior *female* member

Default Just finished Rhiannon and loved it

Adventure in the vein of Dark Fall and Barrow Hill... spooky but not scary, 1st-person, lonely exploration, lots to read. Strong story, good puzzles, and good writing. Nice music too, I wish there had been more of it. For senior citizens like me, there are also a few nostalgic trips down memory lane. That 1967 diary with John Lennon on the cover could have been mine.

Cons: You cannot pick up items until they're needed for a specific task. Even so, finding an object in the very large inventory is tedious --click item, click next item, repeat, repeat... I realize Rhiannon is a low-budget game, and I'm no developer, but this is the worst kind of inventory management.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Easily amused

Thanks for mentioning it. I think this is one I would like.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #3

I feel kind of bad because i think I'm sort of shallow, i absolutely hated the game for one main reason: The controls. I hate the click to look to the left click to look to the right i wish it would have 360 rotation. Also the graphics could of been better. Im a bit spoiled by 3d adventure games .
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

It sounds like my cup of tea.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
Adventure in the vein of Dark Fall and Barrow Hill... spooky but not scary, 1st-person, lonely exploration, lots to read. Strong story, good puzzles, and good writing.
Yep. exactly what makes a good game. I liked it a lot too.

If even 20% of the adventure games released reached these heights we'd have a much better base to stand on to snub our noses at the dreadful shotgun and machete genre... sadly these good adventure games are few and far between. You've named 3 of maybe 10 that qualify as really, honestly good... in the past 5-6 years.

A very good game.

Yes, even with this game, we're still stuck with supernatural (or some other nonsensical) themes. And, as you pointed out as well, there is still a bit of frustration to be had at the understandable linearity/triggering-of-hotspots (and this game had no red herrings either, IIRC, which is a little disappointing).
Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
It's just me

Oh nice! Thanks for posting your opinion Fienepien. I'm holding my breath for AG's review, but in the meantime I'm glad to hear the game is well written and not too scary.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #7

I want to be able to say great things about this game. Barrow Hill is one of my all time favourites and this game has a lot of obvious things in common in terms of format, setting, story line, type of puzzle... in fact the game is so similar to Barrow Hill, I'm having trouble identifying what made the experience so different and left me feeling bored.

The puzzles were, at the same time, obscure and completely predictable. You learn very quickly where most items are and you can easily figure out what you are going to be doing with them, really it's just a matter of figuring out the order of events so that the game will let you pick things up and combine them. There's not a lot of direction as to what you are doing though, so a lot of the time you only know it's time to do a certain task because the game lets you collect a relevant object. There's no other indication when your character might suddenly develop an urge to collect flora or start baking.

I thought there were a lot of good ideas in this game, but it wasn't executed very well. They tried to give it a lot of backstory, but with so many "branches" it still wound up feeling kind of thin. I'd encourage people to play it, if you like this sort of game, but just don't expect too much.