You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Strange Girl

Default Why all men?

Why is it in most of these games, the main character is always a man? Why never a woman? Women tend to be second, still a main character but second. The only game were I've played a woman or women as the main character(s) is in Agatha Christie's Oriental Express as Antoinette Marceau and of course, Kings Quest 7 as the Queen and the Princess (forgotten their names?).

I'm bothered by this I'm a girl and playing a middle aged man all of the time is...well..a little disturbing. But it won't stop me playing great games! I'm just curious...very curious!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

There's also Still Life (play as Vic McPherson), The Longest Journey (play as April), Dreamfall (play as Zoe and April, mostly Zoe), Journey to the Center of the Earth (play as Ariane), Tunguska (play as Nina). Those are the games off the top of my head.

Granted, male characters are likely more plentiful, but the female characters are out there. I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Also A Vampyre Story and Mata Hari are coming which also have female leads.

And welcome to AG too!

P.S. Check out the games A-Z page for info on all those games.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #3

hmm... syberia 1 and 2, the longest journey, dreamfall, fbi art of murder, still life 1 and 2 are some off the top of my head where you play a woman... maybe try one of those
Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Grue Master

Paradise, Phantasmagoria, Culpa Innata, Legacy Dark Shadows, The Messenger, Nostradamus

Last edited by GreyFuss; 10-20-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Another great albeit old title is Lost in Time.

Also, in Gabriel Knight 2 & 3 and later Broken Sword games you play both as the male and the female lead (OK, maybe the men are still the main characters in those titles, but they are not that much more important). Personally, I see adventure game heroes and heroines as my companions rather than people I impersonate, so I have to say I usually prefer women as the main characters.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Third Guy from Andromeda

Also King's Quest IV...

FWIW, at Sierra, we did extensive marketing surveys on this very topic. What we found (and granted, this information is now 15 years old or so) was that males cared a great deal about playing male characters, and females cared much LESS about whether they played a male character or a female character. So, to please the greatest possible number of players, we tended towards having the main character be male.

--Josh
Old 10-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
FWIW, at Sierra, we did extensive marketing surveys on this very topic. What we found (and granted, this information is now 15 years old or so) was that males cared a great deal about playing male characters, and females cared much LESS about whether they played a male character or a female character. So, to please the greatest possible number of players, we tended towards having the main character be male.
That's very interesting, and parallels similar experiences filmmakers have had regarding the perception of female leads in movies. I'd therefore say it's not so much a problem with games per se as it is with society at large still favouring men over women, as it has for thousands of years.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

I think "favouring men over women" in such cases has nothing to do with considering one superior, and doesn't reflect a problem of any sort. It's simply about identification, and it's just easier and more comfortable relating to your own gender over the other.

Personally, I think it depends totally on which fits a role best AND what the writers are able to write better. I'll pass on men writers butchering a female role because they can't write it decently.

In any case, yeah, I'd say there's there's probably as many female game leads as males in adventures these days. Six games on the Hype-o-Meter alone have either a female lead or co-lead, including Three Cards to Midnight and Heavy Rain. There's also Memento Mori coming, the Carol Reed games, the Blackwell games, Nancy Drew, etc. Lots to choose from.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #9

I'd say that the majority of adventure games that I have played in the past few years have female protagonists. It makes no difference to me. I am much more drawn to a strong narrative and good game play than I am worried about some false sense of pride or gender identity nonsense.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I'd say that the majority of adventure games that I have played in the past few years have female protagonists. It makes no difference to me. I am much more drawn to a strong narrative and good game play than I am worried about some false sense of pride or gender identity nonsense.
I have make the same note. Today's Adventure games tend to have female lead. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but for example so blonde's Sunny was very annoying prep. The game's humour was pretty good, but the main character's self-indulgence and constant longing to her home (I mean in almost every sentece) and "eek-i-broke-my-nail" -crap overshadowed it sometimes.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #11

Adding to the list...

-You play as both Passionate Patti and Larry Laffer in Leisure Suit Larry 3 and 5
-Pepper's Adventures in Time lets you play as both Pepper (a kid) and her dog
-Goblin's Quest 3 lets you control multiple characters, including the main character's love interest, Wynonna

I also recall a fun little AGS game that starred a female kangaroo, which I thought was a great idea -- if you're going to make a game starring an animal, why not use one with a naturally occuring pocket to carry its inventory?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #12

From the above posts it seems the title of the thread must change
"Why all women?" seems more appropriate
Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #13
A Servicable Villain

Don't forget Zanthia in The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate. A very funny and powerful heroine! Loved playing as her. I don't really care whether I'm playing as a man of a woman, as long as it fits the story and he or she's an interesting character.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #14

Almost have to wonder where Sierrai is finding all these "male dominated adventure games". LOL
Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
LA-S-LE

the best solution is still behind Rex Nebular, where you could always change the gender of Rex, back and force
Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #16

Are the Laura Bow games that obscure?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #17

I'm a guy and I always liked playing as a female.. well, I never minded it, anyway.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I'd say that the majority of adventure games that I have played in the past few years have female protagonists.
Seems that way to me too. It's always a young woman though -- never a middle aged or older woman. No Miss Marple type characters. No fat women either.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Seems that way to me too. It's always a young woman though -- never a middle aged or older woman. No Miss Marple type characters. No fat women either.
Never say never. Ever heard of the game called Dementia aka Armed & Delirious and Granny?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #20

adding some more to the list...
Keepsake, The Watchmaker (co-starring), Fennimore FillmoreĀ“s Revenge (co-starring)