You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Where can I get some of the Lucas Art's Classics?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Default Where can I get some of the Lucas Art's Classics?

I'm getting back into adventure games after a long time. I haven't played since I was a kid and I'm looking for the classic Lucas Arts games without spending $50 for the "collector's price".

I just downloaded Beneath A Steel Sky from ScummVM and I'm loving every minute of it. Just playing it makes me remember my childhood. I want to finally play all the great games that I missed over the years.. like Day of the Tentacle. Scummvm was a tease, I didn't see it on that site.

Where can I get those games, (preferably free ), but I am willing to spend money on them as long as I'm not getting ripped off for games a decade old.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG.

You can't really get them for free (except for BASS) because they haven't been designated as freeware (we don't allow links to illegal downloads-sorry). Where do you live?

They've released the Lucas Classics line in the UK (not all of them):

The Dig

Full Throttle

Sam&Max: Hit the Road

There's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAY-OF-THE-TENTA...3286.m63.l1177

That's relatively cheap for two games.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekZero View Post
Where can I get those games, (preferably free ), but I am willing to spend money on them as long as I'm not getting ripped off for games a decade old.
Those games are usually better and more valuable than the newest ones.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Wherever you end up finding the games, be sure to e-mail LucasArts and tell them about your interest in buying their old adventures.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #5

I suggest the Lucas Classics collection of games. They're only $10-15 each here in Australia and that's how I managed to bag Full Throttle, The Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango (although it doesn't really work properly on my new PC) and Sam & Max: Hit the Road.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Adventurer

I got Sam and Max Hit the Road, DOTT and indy new for cheap off of ebay, by accidently ordering MAC-only versions of the game. Fortunately you can run these games on your PC using ScummVm. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Adventure Game Researcher

I buy many of the games i study including the classics from Lucas which i have all of now, some in several editions, and many came from Amazon, which has very good policies and follow up and many fine dealers. The older edtions are far better and all the classics can be played on DosBox or in the case of the Lucas older ones, on ScummVM as you have discovered, very nicely indeed.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #8

Orient, hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I suggest the Lucas Classics collection of games. They're only $10-15 each here in Australia and that's how I managed to bag Full Throttle, The Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango (although it doesn't really work properly on my new PC) and Sam & Max: Hit the Road.
1. If you have a Pentium IV, or dual core, you need to turn multi-threading off for Grim Fandango only. Follow the link in my sig and visit Steve's XP Games corner for instructions on how to do this.

2. If you have the latest nVidia card (8800 family), then you need to run Grim Fandango in software rendering mode, or the characters appear all striated.

Either one or both of those should get you up and running.

Regards,
MetzO'Magic
Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. It's a shame that they aren't freeware by now, but I can't really blame them for that. I'll just hunt for bargains then.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekZero View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's a shame that they aren't freeware by now, but I can't really blame them for that. I'll just hunt for bargains then.
I don't see any shame in that. They're not that expensive.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzomagic View Post
Orient, hi,

1. If you have a Pentium IV, or dual core, you need to turn multi-threading off for Grim Fandango only. Follow the link in my sig and visit Steve's XP Games corner for instructions on how to do this.

2. If you have the latest nVidia card (8800 family), then you need to run Grim Fandango in software rendering mode, or the characters appear all striated.

Either one or both of those should get you up and running.

Regards,
MetzO'Magic
Cool, thanks for the help, metzomagic. I've actually already created a separate partition on my harddrive without multi-core support (I have a quad-core) specifically for adventure games, because of Broken Sword 4 -- so I'll try Grim Fandango on that