You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your Favorite Inventories?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Your Favorite Inventories?

What is your favorite inventory in an adventure game?

Here's mine--from King's Quest VI. Mostly because you could talk to some of the items.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
I changed my title

The Luggage from the first two Discworld games. Both an inventory and a character!
Also because you could change the size of the inventory box and move it around the screen.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

I agree with Luggage!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
QFG

Maybe the red herring from the Secret of Monkey Island demo.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

I always liked the way Kate Walker could hide anything, no matter how big, in her tight-fitting outfit.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #6

This thread is more than a little obscure. Nothing wrong with that, though...
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Inventory? Uhm...

I guess I'm saying the one seen in Tex Murphy's game from Under a killing moon to Overseer
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
3rd person fanatic :)

Definitely the one from Black Mirror and NiBiRu! Clear, sophisticated, always open, easy to interact with the gameworld. And extra plus comes from two different sounds when taking and placing items in the inventory. That's the best!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Pixiehunter

I can't do anything but agree with the above. The Luggage was fantastic also because it was always in animation. The chatty inventory in KQ VI was also sooo funny
And the inventories in the MI series, so much as fitted in there, and then his animations when he was adding some of the more big stuff to his pants

I also am quite fond of the inventory in Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father. The options to open and read items really fitted the items in the inventory, and so were a very good choice I think
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
George Stobbart

Send a message via MSN to sultanbadza

Well, I liked the inventory in The Sinking Island... Every new day he has to opens it, and then you have access
Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
3rd person fanatic :)

Well I didn't like the luggage a one bit. It was always on my way and sometimes I had to wait for it to arrive. Also, when you put something into it, incidentally double-clicking gave description about the luggage. It was unpractical and annoying, but.... somehow legendarily innovative .
Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #12

Monkey Island 2. Come on, the way Guybrush puts dogs and monkeys and stuff down his pants, hilarious.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #13

I might have to go with Sam and Max Hit the Road. You collect an odd assortment of items there, not to mention the car bomb game, coloring book, and paper dolls.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #14

I liked the dirty rag and the sexy panties in BS 1&2. His willingness to carry these rthings around and show them to people is part of what made Geaorge so likeable
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I'm going to have to add another vote for UAKM here. Combining items, examining them were all so easy. The 3D views were top and to put the cherry on the pie, there was Chris Jone's vocal description of every object.

Class.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #16
Easily amused

I like the innovations that Return to Mysterious Island had. The tabs were great to organize stuff, and there wasn't always only one solution.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I like the innovations that Return to Mysterious Island had. The tabs were great to organize stuff, and there wasn't always only one solution.
Yes, I liked that way to organize the inventory, and the options it opened up for combining items, un-combining them, and recombining them again for solving different puzzles. And a lot of alternative solutions available - Now, that is a feature you don't see too often in adventure games!

Don't know how much they've used this innovative type of inventory in Kheops Studios' other games...I think they did it to some degree in The Secrets of Da Vinchi", also an excellent game.

Kheops have settled for first person perspectivewith node-to-node based navigation in all their games as far as I know.
Normally I avoid games like this, but the inventory system in the two games mentioned helped make playing them an enjoyable experience, and not just a source of irritation (which is my normal respons to this particular game design).
Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #18

When I first played Broken Sword 2 (age roughly 11) my friends and I used to joke about the way you could fit anything into your jeans, including that big theodolite. Anytime I see surveyors using those things I think of that game.

I like the absurdness, as mentioned, of the Monkey Island inventories. The games themselves occasionally poke fun, as when he sticks the dog in his trousers or loses about half his inventory in quicksand. 'Hey this quicksand is sucking everything from my pants. Now there's an odd sensation.'