You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam And Max Hit The Road included in Armed and Dangerous Demo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Sam And Max Hit The Road included in Armed and Dangerous Demo?

When I was at best Buy a few weeks ago, I noticed that the Demo box for Armed and Dangerous had an updated version of S&M Hit The Road that had been updated to run on more modern PCs and versions of Windows. Does anyone else have a copy of this newer version of Sam and Max? By the time I went to pick it up, the demos were gone.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Hit the Road will run under XP no problem, but sound probably won't work. To fix the sound problem, you can either use ScummVM or grab the updated executable from samandmax.net. In both cases, you have to own the original game.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:35 AM   #3

I thought the Sam & Max disc included in Armed and Dangerous was the updated version, XP-compatible one?
Old 03-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Only the executable has changed. All the other game data is identical, and the new executable will allow you to play an old copy of the game under XP.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:05 AM   #5

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant

Of course, for me, ScummVM or DOSBox are the best solutions for running old adventure games... they both work seamlessly on Linux, and as for DOSBox they don't release daily binaries of work-in-progress, it's easier to compile the latest code!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:49 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm sure I read somewhere that the S&M version in there has a fatal crashbug in it too - related to the monster.sou file or something that was damaged on the master copy... not sure where i saw that though.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:52 AM   #7

I think the Lucas Arts Entertainment Pack includes this up-to-date version as well.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:30 AM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
I'm sure I read somewhere that the S&M version in there [Armed and Dangerous] has a fatal crashbug in it too - related to the monster.sou file or something that was damaged on the master copy... not sure where i saw that though.
It was somewhere on this very forum. Have a search for Sam and Max in the technical problems section.

The problem turned out to be that the last few megabytes of monster.sou was 'blank', so the voices would stop working after a certain point, although the game wouldn't actually crash. Duh, LucasArts, duhhh.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
guybrush_guy

i heard about it to, you get to a certin point and eather the game crashes or there's no sound for the rest of the game

Old 03-06-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

Okay, the game does not crash. When you enter the hall of oddities at the carnival, the voices stop. It can be fixed by leaving the tent, saving, and restarting the game.

Note that the problem ONLY happens with the monster.sou file on the A&D preview disc. It's not a problem with the new executable, and if you play with an original copy of the game it'll work just fine.