You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Outcry release date? Will I ever play this amazing game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

Default Outcry release date? Will I ever play this amazing game?

What's the deal with Outcry? Amazon was/is listing it as an August 26th release date, but it's 'temporarily out of stock' as of this morning. Newegg.com lists it as a September 3rd ship date and Adventure Company website only says "coming soon". Very very confused here and this game looks very interesting. I need another adventure game fix!!! Quick!!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

In case you hadn't seen this (it's been released in N. America):

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1741
Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #3

I did catch this, thanks for the reply!

Do you happen to know if it's available as a digital download purchase on the internet anywhere?

Guess I'll have to wait for a retail copy or order offline
Old 03-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #4

I am little bit late.
I have seen it in the store, under the name Sublustrum. It looked interesting, so I wrote down the name to check more details about the game and found out it was more known under the name Outcry :-)
Seems to be a very interesting piece.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'd recommend it only to fans of puzzle-driven adventures.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #6

IĀ“ve read that too, now.
It has fine graphics, but I am into story and there is no such thing in this game.
And I am not fan of puzzles. But I will try some demo of the game to see it myself.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Restless Dreamer

Good game, but pretty difficult puzzles since the game doesn't really give you clues as to whether your actions on a puzzle in one room have had the desired effect in another room. I'd recommend a walkthrough for the tough parts, but the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool.
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_m View Post
I'd recommend a walkthrough for the tough parts, but the graphics and atmosphere are pretty cool.
I'd say that the graphics are really good and the atmosphere is creepy and unsettling. In the end, INDIGO and veruncheek, it's only a matter of what you desire from a game: I agree with silent_m, the puzzles can be really hard, especially because of the lack of feedback from the game's environment.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Easily amused

I'm playing this right now. The atmosphere is great (I'm in the desert part). I find the puzzles challenging, but very workable. I like that they are all contained in the one area you play in (at least so far they are). This game really has me thinking.

I'm always surprised with a game like this that people say there is minimal story. As far as I'm concerned, there is a good plot keeping my interest and suspence. Any game that gets my imagination going above and beyond the puzzles must have a good story.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #10

I agree with Colpet. Outcry had a very interesting story. But it wasn't until towards the end of the game, when I figured out what was really happening, that it made an impression on me.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #11

As for the puzzles: I really really liked Black Dahlia and there were crazy hard puzzles, most of them I solved only with cheat. I liked Dark Fall games, but it lacked contact with living world, so to say. Practically no dialogues etc. So if this game has difficult puzzles, I will most probably stay out of it. But will keep it in my mind and some day when there is no game for me to play, I will try it :-) Now there is plenty of amazing games I intend to play but cannot, because of my time.
I am glad to hear this game has a story. My opinion was made only from what I have read or heard so far, which is not that reliable. So it is nice to hear it is atmosperic, it has some mystery into it etc.
Thanks for more info.

Last edited by veruncheek; 03-24-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
aye, aye!

It may be because I at times get more receptive to different "pains", but this game gave me motion sickness after only playing about 10 minutes of it, and I haven't been sitting at the computer for that long. : (

Even though the style is gorgeous I kinda wish they had toned down the whole flickering/old movie concept. I hope the whole game isn't like this ._.
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #13

I think when we say "story", sometimes we mean different things.

Story often means an "up front" narrative and character kind of thing. You meet people (or other beings), you interact with them, the interactions cause something to happen to you, to who you interact with, all that. You see stuff happening on the screen, in terms of people, the world changing, characters coming and going, all that. There may also be something that you have to figure out, in terms of what happened when you weren't around. Syberia is like that, in terms of you having to figure out what happened in the past, with regards to a family, but there are also things going on, right in front of you, in terms of characters and events.

Story can also mean that we puzzle something out - there are clues and we piece together a narrative, what happened, though we never see it or experience it directly. Myst is like that, and from what I'm reading, Outcry. I don't think either is better than the other - it depends on what you like to experience and what you like to do in a game.

I was really into Myst, but today I'm more of a "lots has to go on right in front of me" kind of person. That's me, but I'm super glad that games like Outcry exist. We can't have adventure games be all one way!

My blog - http://www.amarez.com
My twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv View Post
That's me, but I'm super glad that games like Outcry exist. We can't have adventure games be all one way!
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Adventures can't and mustn't be only one way, but this doesn't mean that we can't express a personal preference.

I reviewed Outcry for Adventure Gamers and I expressed my opinion: great, interesting story (as in premise) with an awful plot (as in the development of such story). Even without character to interact with, a plot should serve as a way to elaborate the story and let it grown on you: now, it's no mystery for anyone that I'm a sure fan of 3rd person, story (as in plot)-driven adventures, but I really felt that Outcry plot could have really used a bit more polish, particularly in the writing department (even if I'm sure that something got lost in translation).

Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #15

Andrea I'm not disagreeing with you - didn't feel I could talk about the specifics of the game, since I didn't play it! I just see the confusion about what "story" means come up sometimes - we talk at cross purposes.

Interesting observation on what could have been done better in Outcry.

My blog - http://www.amarez.com
My twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
Easily amused

I finished the game and I have to say that it was one of the most thought provoking games I've played recently, the other being The Lost Crown.
The ending took me by surprise, and immediately had me rethinking all that happened in the game. In many respects it is a sad story, but it represents the determined achievement of your older brother. That you, the younger brother (in the game) make it to the end, shows that he was successful in his endeavors.
There is a good discussion of the game at GB here:
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post405239
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
Banned User

I finally got it working on my home PC. Its quite an interesting game. A little claustrophobic in some places, but still quite awesome.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #18

INDIGO if you're really can't wait for this game then you can always import it from Just Adventure's shop.