You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes:Nemesis?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes:Nemesis?

Hi
I thought about buying the game at Wal Mart but i've seen player reviews on amazon and the Gamespot review says the game is extremely difficult...

I'd like to get it but it would be no fun if i have to use a walkthrough constantly.any opinions welcome.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I guess it depends on how experienced you're in adventure games. The game isn't that difficult (I checked out the reviews on GS), but it surely is a challenge, especially for the rhymed puzzles.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #3

I found it difficult yeah, but still worth playing.

Check out The Awakened too if you haven't. It is also great and less difficult.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

i didn't find it difficult at all...in fact, i thought it was rather easy...but then again, i am pretty good at riddles

i just didn't like looking up stuff in that library at the museum.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Banned User

I thought the museum was absolutely easy. Also I found it fun! Why? I love museums. I loved the detail put into it, with a caption by Sherlock for every display.

The game is actually pretty easy. I'm with Aubstopper side. Im REALLY good at puzzles, but in most cases I'm just to lazy to solve most (Myst games), but I just so happen to find this game good enough that I have not used a walkthrough yet.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Roman5

I'm playing it at the moment, nearly finished. It's a great game, it really is good fun. BUT, I think it's fairly difficult, certainly compared to the awakened. I've had to use a walkthrough a few times. I can think of a couple of instances in the game where even when I saw the solution, the clue was unfair or didn't make as much sense as it could have.
But that's just me, others will probably have not had that problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #7

Some puzzles are easy for everybody.
Other puzzles are only easy for people with an aptitude for solving those types of puzzles.
I think the puzzles in Sherlock Nemesis are the latter, because some of them sure are stumping me.
Not that I mind or anything.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #8

Good game but some puzzles are way too hard. I don't believe anyone who says they beat it without a walkthrough.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #9

I loved the fact that it was a bit more difficult. I really enjoyed the last couple Sherlock Holmes games, including the 1st person perspective. They don't hold your hand through the game, giving you huge red markers where to click and what object to look at or use. It feels more like you're really discovering things more or less on your own, like the old classics but in a cool new way.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Banned User

Only dislike is the Field of View. Its so narrow. I wished they had a console command to change it or a menu slider.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Good game but some puzzles are way too hard. I don't believe anyone who says they beat it without a walkthrough.
i beat it without a walkthrough.

you guys seem like you're likening the puzzles to like myst-level. Honestly, i found it challenging but not impossible in the least bit...i really enjoyed the challenge.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubstopper View Post
i beat it without a walkthrough.

you guys seem like you're likening the puzzles to like myst-level. Honestly, i found it challenging but not impossible in the least bit...i really enjoyed the challenge.

Exactly. Its hard like myst, but not impossible like myst. haha
Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #13

I'm not a Myst riddle person and i have to say i played Sherlock Nemesis without problem... It wasn't a piece of cake but it was within the normal limits of difficulty :-)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #14

i just noticed that on steam, the game is in the 'family', 'adventure' and 'rpg' category.
is that a mistake? are there rpg elements in the game? like, action scenes, special abilities, possible death, fighting?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #15

It's totally worth it even if you have to use a walkthrough every so often. The Sherlock Holmes series is one of my faves - it's a must play! Personally, I did need a walkthrough at times - but it didn't ruin the experience at all. (Right now, I'm replaying Scratches - and I still need a walkthrough - lol).
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Slightly related, I found the Jack the Ripper game to be the best of Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games to date. The puzzles weren't overly challenging, the only one I really had extended problems with was the puzzle box with the American Civil War references. Plus I liked the little easter egg referencing the popular perception of Holmes.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #17

Definitely a must play... its worth it. one of the better games in the series (also The Awakened.. awesome).
I didn't find it overall difficult but there are definitely challenging puzzles to solve.. but isn't that why we play these adventures... to be challenged. I say go for it... cause ya gotta love the sherlock!!!