You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Longest Journey: a question or two

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default The Longest Journey: a question or two

Years ago, I purchased The Longest Journey, installed it, played it a few hours and then uninstalled it. It seemed to me too fairy, too dreamy, too naif.

Then yesterday - exams finished; vacancy still far away - I take that game back on my hard disk and I began playing. Now, I'm in the midst of Chapter Seven and I'm totally amazed by the game: what seemed naif, now seems only genuine; the characters are wonderfully written, even the minor ones and - although sometimes I dislike the comedic tone - the story is one of the most intriguing I've seen in long time, even if normally I prefer a more grim, realistic (historical) setting.

So, I wonder: have I to play Dreamfall by major force, or can I stop with the first chapter? And - in case I've got to play the sequel too - I've read of Dreamfall: Chapters, but I can't fine much info about that game: can you guys give me a "hand"?

Thanks!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #2

First I'm guessing that by naif you mean naive ?

Anyway... since the things that you liked most on TLJ were it's story and characters I'm guessing you're gonna like dreamfall. It's not necessary to play dreamfall if that's what you're asking. TLJ's ending gives enough closure. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't though...
Dreamfall's sequel called "dreamfall: chapters" is not going to be ready anytime soon unfortunately. The only info we have on that is that it's going to be in episodic format (similar to sam'n'max).
Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #3

Isn't naive the feminine form of naif? I thought that, since this is a French borrowed term, that distinction also apply to English...

Anyway: yes; my question regarded the necessity to play Dreamfall after TLJ. I've read extremely positive reviews of the game, so the point isn't at all the snobby attitude I've found criticized in all the reviews: I don't care if the game has or not action and stealth sequences; I don't care even if it is much more an interactive movie than and adventure.

Knowing now that Dramfall: Chapters are far, far away from conclusion, I merely wonder if it's worth to embark upon this boat - that's all.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
tsa
Playing character

Well, why not? Most people here find TLJ and Dreamfall very good games. There's a lot to enjoy in Dreamfall, if you don't care about the action and lack of puzzles.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I merely wonder if it's worth to embark upon this boat - that's all.
Yes.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Stalker of Britain

If you like "The Longest Journey", then I would suggest playing "Dreamfall". Though some see it as not as good as the original (since TLJ is like a legend), it still is wonderful. I love games with interesting plots and good characterization, so if you liked that in TLJ, you'll also find it in Dreamfall. If you would like to see further stories set in this universe, then I would suggest playing "Dreamfall", because I thought it was worth it. Give it a try; it's really good. But the ending leaves huge cliffhangers, and since the next installment won't be out any time soon, it is a bit frustrating. But it was worth the ride for me!

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 07-18-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #7

Thanks you guys.

In the meantime, here's some of my thoughts about The Longest Journey.

- April Ryan is a truly well written character: I love her style in writing her diary, and her spicy comments. She really deserves to be in the adventure empireum of most compelling characters (even if some of her traits seem to be a little attached, without a real reason to be here).
- Without any doubt, I totally prefer the chapters settled in Stark than the ones in Arcadia: the grim appearance of the world - I think at Hope Street, with the junk agonizing in the corner; even the dirt park of East Venice - is very well represented. Arcadia, on the other way, is sometimes a little stereotypical and some visuals remind me of King's Quest.
- The supporting characters make one of the most intriguing cast I've ever seen: the way each character is designed and written make me thinking of my beloved Gabriel Knight series - a quality I found to be extremely rare in adventures (I think of Culpa Innata, i.e.: an exemple of annoying cast and flat characters)
- Some puzzles are tremendous. Example:

Spoiler:
When you have to check out books from the library of the Enclave; the infamous rubber duck; the ridiculous puzzle involving the monkey and its shadow...

but, fortunately, the story totally lives up to this down.

And now, I'm going to figure out what to do with the Maerum

Old 07-18-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

Glad you like it so much! I played TLJ three times now and I'm still not tired of it.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Adventure Gamer for Life

This reminds me that I'm due for another replay of TLJ. I think it would be my 5-6 time. I also need to replay Dreamfall, since I only played it one and 1/2 times. I got halfway through Dreamfall the second time and got tired of it. And then that machine died, so I guess I need to start over.

I'm so glad to see someone just discovering TLJ. Still my favorite adventure ever.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #10

Don't play Dreamfall. It's totally different and it doesn't relate and it doesn't end well at all.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #11

It's always good to see true Balance: for one person telling me to absolutely play Dreamfall, there's also one another telling me not to do so, 'cause it will strongly disappoint me. I still don't know what to do, and I reserve the final decision for the moment I finish The Longest Journey.

Speaking of this, I've just begun Chapter Twelve: I played a lot this afternoon. What can I say? The Alatians are easily my favorite characters from the game, together with the Banda; I didn't like, on the other hand, the whole part leading to the Alatians - see spoiler below.

Spoiler:
The telephone/statue was one of the most annoying puzzle in this game, already plagued by some silly enigmas: it was pointless and it was put there only to lengthen the soup. I didn't like the Stickman either, except for the fact that they reminded me of Bump-on-a-log.

Except for these little annoyances, the game is still pretty strong: I keep wondering about what the finale might be, and I can't wait to see it.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Stalker of Britain

I think it's cool how you're still playing it, and we can kinda see your reactions to the game as you play. Yes, I admit that that stupid telephone puzzle was one of the hardest and annoying puzzles in the game!!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Lovable rogue

I must say, as someone who has played and loved The Longest Journey, vis-Ă*-vis Dreamfall, the storyline is blasĂ©, the puzzles are non-existent, and the 'action' sequences feel like they were engineered by someone who has no experience with computer games whatsoever.

I found it added absolutely no value to my experience of The Longest Journey, and could have been done without.

(Not to mention the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger, that has no guarantee of ever being concluded.)

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Adventurer

If you're sitting on the fence on whether or not to play Dreamfall, why not go for it? You might miss out on a story you'll love if you sit it out. If worst comes to worst, you can always pretend Dreamfall never happened. And it's not like you will waste all your efforts while playing it -- it's not that difficult.

I loved dreamfall (perhaps not as much as TLJ) , and I hope you will too.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #15

Today I'm planning to finish The Longest Journey. So, later this day, I can tell you if I'm going to play Dreamfall or not: it depends very much on the ending of TLJ.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #16

OK. I've finished it.

So, what to say?

It's a really good game - even more: it's great. It has splendid characters, wonderful settings, a rich story and some touching moments.

Some things prevent it from being a masterpiece, in my opinion. I'll put those points under a spoiler.

Spoiler:
The ending, or best: the path leading to the ending, is very disappointing. In the desert outside the tower all you have to do is, basically, click on the Balance Locket and then on *something*; the segment that explains the childhood of April is a little stereotypical. Generally, the last chapters - since the reunion of Maerum and Alatians - seem a little rushed, unpolished

Fortunately, the Epilogue was one of the best I've ever seen. And after this finale, yes: I'm absolutely going to play Dreamfall

Old 07-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #17

I remember when I first finished TLJ...I had played it almost non-stop for 3 days and I was so engrossed with the story the characters and the locations that when I finally finished it I had a very weird feeling of sadness and loss that the game had ended... it hasn't happened for me with any other game.
Dreamfall I enjoyed almost as much and it's one of the best games I've played. I would possibly rate it as good as TLJ if it wasn't for the ending which left me really frustrated and angry.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #18

OK. I've installed Dreamfall.

OK. I've played it. I'm in the midst of Chapter Four.

OK. What can I say since now?

WONDERFUL

Spoiler:
Seeing again Charlie, Emma, Venice, April's room was amazing. I didn't realize how much I cared about these characters until I've meet them as Zoe.

I can't wait to see what's next!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Stalker of Britain

I'm glad you like it so far!! To see locations and characters from the first one through new eyes (and the hyped up graphics) is amazing. When I heard we (as Zoe) were going to the Fringe Cafe, I squealed and ran around the house jumping up and down like a little kid!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes