You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Longest Journey - the greatest adventure game series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #41
Sik

I'm wondering if everyone who had issues with Dreamfall's controls played with default settings? I seem to recall fiddling with some settings during the tutorial part to get it right for me. Camera control ones, especially. You shouldn't have to, to enjoy the game of course, but going through options before I start playing a game is a habit for me, so I have no idea how well the default controls work.

Anyway, I found the control scheme in Dreamfall to be the most intuitive I've encountered in a non point'n'click adventure. Not only that, but with the focus field eliminating pixel hunts and the need to run over to something just to look at it, I also thought it was the most efficient control scheme in any adventure game, period.

And about the camera controls.... Mmm, move the mouse to move camera. Press a button to stop the camera and scan your environments instead. I don't see how they could make it much simpler. The camera never got stuck, and I had less issues with bad angles than in most 2D games with fixed views. ;p

So, I can understand people not liking the simplistic game play, or the story, or the action elements. I honestly don't understand the complaints about the controls, though. It just seems to me to be something people throw into the mix because it's different and they didn't like the game otherwise.