You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Space Quest Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Space Quest Question

I finally decided to play the Space Quest series, so I've a question for you guys: can I play without worrying the VGA remake of Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter, or should I play the original EGA one?

I remember that the remake of Police Quest I changed a lot of details that, without playing the original one, became inconsistencies while playing the second chapter of the series (like the sex/name of your partner, etc.).

Is it safe to play the VGA remake of SQ1 or, for better understanding the following games, it's better to play the original?

Thanks,
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I would play both games That way you get the full experience.

You can play through the orginal EGA version in a couple of hours so it wouldn't cost you a lot of time.

But if you have to choose, I would play the original!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I remember that the remake of Police Quest I changed a lot of details that, without playing the original one, became inconsistencies while playing the second chapter of the series (like the sex/name of your partner, etc.).
What was the inconsistency? In Police Quest 2 you have a different partner.

(It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious because I've played both versions and I don't remember the remake creating inconsistencies in PQ2.)
Old 03-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I didn't play the original PQ1, but - after finishing the VGA remake - I've read about those inconsistencies.

I copy the following from the Trivia section on the MobyGames page about Police Quest 1:
  • Solutions to puzzles in both versions are quite different.
  • The dialogue between both versions are quite different.
  • "Carol's Caffeine Castle" is renamed "Caffeine Carol's", and "Lytton City Park" has been renamed "Bert's Park" (after its founder).
  • The appearances and names of some of the characters have been changed. For example, Helen Hots is renamed Tawnee Helmut, the drunk driver Art Serabian to Bill Barnum, and the Death Angel Frank Sloan to Frank Magpie.
  • In the original, It is possible to change clothes without having a shower. In the VGA remake, having a shower is compulsory.
  • The easy-to-use driving interface where you have to use the arrow keys to patrol your car has been replaced with a new and confusing one.
  • While patrolling the streets, you can stop at any location at any time in the original, whereas you can't do this in the remake.
  • You can't die by running a red light in the remake.
  • In the remake, you don't have to perform a safety inspection each time you decide to go out.
  • Near the end of the game, the remake gives you the opportunity to not play the poker game at all, play the poker game and win, and play the game and lose.
When I talked of inconsistencies, I referred to the changed name and so.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box