You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Default The Lost Crown

Hi all,

This seems to be the the preeminent adventure game website, and since it seems that "The Lost Crown" has been released in North America already, this would be the best place to ask about its' merits.

Just Adventure have given it an A/A+ and I must confess that I am really excited about this particular game.

Someone on this site must have it in their greasy paws, so please tell, is it as good as the hype suggests?

Nick.

p.s. I did do a search before I posted this and I couldn't find owt.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Welcome to the forum nmge
Well, The Lost Crown as per initial reviews and gamers comments seems to be a facinating game. Most specifically it gives good rating in the graphics department. I have obtained a copy but have not installed and checked as yet. I will update you regarding the game in days to come.
The onle demerit as per my opinion regarding this game at this stage is that the game is Black and White which might take fun part away.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It's not all in black and white. It has color as well.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #4

Default colour scheme

I must say I am quite interested in the colouring. From reading some interviews it looks like some of the backgrounds are touched up photographs, but looking at screenshots it seems that certain objects are computer generated and coloured.
If done well, I guess it could really add to the ghostly atmosphere.

Please do get back to me with your views usman.

Nick.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

I installed it and have played it for a couple hours. I'm still on chapter 1, but I can say this game has promise.

My first reflections are that it has a lot of similar suspenseful elements of "The Black Mirror." It doesn't just DROP you in the horror, but really takes its time giving small tidbits of back story first.

The graphics are amazing. The black-and-white mixed with the slight colors is atmospheric, and it makes one believe early on that it will definitely add to the atmosphere. It gives the same feel as the girl in red in the film "Schindler's List." It's totally necessary.

If the gameplay is as long as the review on JustAdventure says, then I could see myself getting heavily involved with the characters. The voice acting (especially for the main character) definitely leaves something to be desired, especially with the pauses in awkward places (and the overuse of commas in the subtitles), but as the reviewer on JustAdventure said, voice acting isn't a big thing for me. (I found "Black Mirror" to have horrible voice acting, but still be a fantastic game.)

If I can sum it up simply from what I've played so far: I can tell this game is going to be a classic adventure. I've been waiting for the next great horror/suspense game since "Black Mirror," and this one will surely surpass it, in my honest opinion.

Oh, and one more thing: The environment is truly interactive. There will be plenty of drawers and doors to open that will be empty and seem to have nothing to do with the plot. Some may find this tedious, but in a horror game, I think it's necessary to have dead-ends like that in order to keep the gamer suspenseful about what lurks around every corner.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Well, I installed it and find it quite intresting. Well sure it has some colours as well. Indeed good atmospheric game. I have not played it very long and on Chapter 1. I find it indeed something different to try.

Will update you more soon.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

I've played the game further tonight after work, and I'd love to hear other opinions on the game. It just gets better and better to me as far as the game goes...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Dreamfall Soon!

I've played the game all the way through. It is definitely a long game and worth the purchase.

I thought it started off a little slow...I wasn't sure if I liked it at first. However the more I got into the game, the better it got.

I would recommend this game to all you adventure game lovers.

And it does get a little spooky at times!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #9

Is this coming to Europe, or do I need to pay Amazon obscene prices for an import?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #10

It's coming to europe, or you might try InteractCD for decent pricing.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
Schättenjager

This kind of games should 've been made ten years ago although still ok if it's been made by three guys in a basement but trying to sell walkthrough for 9.99 preposterous .
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
This kind of games should 've been made ten years ago although still ok if it's been made by three guys in a basement but trying to sell walkthrough for 9.99 preposterous .
Well, since you bought both the game and the walkthrough you're obviously entitled to whine away.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #13

Are the puzzles more investigation-based or are there clever Macgyver type puzzles as well? Also, what is the overall quality of the puzzles? Are there characters to talk to? Hope not!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #14

Have only found one review of this game.

Anyone want to give a more detailed review?

Also, are there many trigger problems (as in ou know what you have to do, but can't until you talk to someone or examine something to "unlock" the ability.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Puts the 'e' in Mark

If you have a little time to wait, I'm sure AG will have its review up soon. (I guess JA+ had some kind of special early access to a review copy?)
Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #16

Right, but was deciding if I should pick it up on the way home from work.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
Schättenjager

No matter how old school is, a solid ag works well many aspects specially direction sense of design)then others like Sinking Island,Overclocked etc.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #18

It is actually available via e-bay in the uk. There are two (imported) copies for sale last time I looked. Since every time I have tried to purchase it from the website I am told that I am not in the correct geograohic area, this might be the best way for the Brits to buy it, there doesn't seem to be any certain date for its uk release.

Nick.

erk, I hope I don't start a bidding war.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #19

Rottford,

How does it handle examining many things? Are there plenty of things to examine? I am asuming that it is all spoken since text adventures just arn't mainstream.

Do you get a spoken description of many usless objects? If you do, does it really add to the atmosphere?

Nick.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #20

Yes, there are many things to examine and it is spoken. The only problem is that since the game seems to have put most of its budget into the graphics, it will "recycle" dialogue and descriptions. As a reviewer said (who I wholeheartedly agree with), I got tired of hearing the phrase "symbolic images, or ancient graffiti" over and over again. It wouldn't have been so bad, either, but it seems the actor pauses in the middle of every sentence.

But, like I said before, it didn't take away from the overall spooky experience for me.

As for useless objects, I want to say yes, but the only problem is that I can't tell if they will have some use in different chapters. It is supposed to be a LONG game.