You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are Adventure games not taken seriously

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I agree with pretty much everything MysterD said. I have concerns about the linearity aspect. I have always equated Adventure Games with reading a good book. Have you tried those Choose-Your-Adventure books? Not very good. I think AGs need to maintain linearity for the main part of the story.
All games need to have SOME sort of linearity -- namely, for the main quest to keep the game from losing narrative depth, story arc, and cohesion.

Sure, you can have a fair amount of puzzles and quests that can be finished one way, which is fine.

But, I don't think it would hurt for even some puzzles and some quests can be finished in more than one way. See Post Mortem -- yes, a lot of the game was very linear, but there were a few puzzles that could be finished two different ways. Plus, the game basically had 2 endings, anyways. The game didn't go overboard w/ its non-linear, which kept the game from losing the story qualities we often give praise to normally in games that are very linear.

I think the best of games have usually took the approach of making some of the game linear and some of the game not-so-linear -- see The Witcher and Planescape: Torment, if you get what I'm referring to; by having the game linear in certain parts, the narrative is able to be kept VERY personal, strong and deep; which is something many non-linear games have a problem with. Though, by also having some non-linear moments, the game is replayable b/c some things can be finished in at least two different ways.

Quote:
But providing small side missions that flesh out and add to the overall experience would be a welcomed addition to AGs.
This would help to the experience of adventure games, as long as their are some sort of rewards for pursuing these side quests.

It sure as hell worked for RPG's -- since you're always building your character's level, weapons, equipment, stats, etc.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #22

I have been a life long gamer and I know that adventure games aren't really taken seriously for mainly these reasons:
Hardcore gamers might not like them because they're games where "nothing happens". I know that in reality this isn't true and lots of things do indeed happen, but since the pacing is slower than say, Crysis, your average hardcore gamer would consider it a snooze-fest.
The other reason is that the same hardcore gamers can feel that they're "beneath them" as sort of like beginner's games. If your computer illiterate mom displays a sudden interest in gaming you will probably recommend an adventure game to her over the other more intimidating options out there.
When I was younger my dad got me into computer games by buying me point and click AGs, so I think they have the reputation as being something for kids to start out on as well.
I am the kind of gamer who will play any type of game that is fun and that i'm in the mood for, but most people aren't like that. Most of my friends would not play an AG because they're "old person games" or "dull" and gaming magazines are going to appeal to the majority of the people who are buying the magazines and the majority of the people who are buying them are going to be young males who will want to play Call of Duty 4.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 AM   #23
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot View Post
If your computer illiterate mom displays a sudden interest in gaming you will probably recommend an adventure game to her over the other more intimidating options out there.
I'm afraid the overwhelming majority of computer illiterate moms and grannies play casual games. That's why Jane Jensen is into casual games now.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #24
Caffein Queen

Quote:
I'm afraid the overwhelming majority of computer illiterate moms and grannies play casual games
And it's a huge market too
I'm still trying to convince my mother to play adventure games, but it's a slow process.

She's more into Neopets games like Destruct-O-match and Koujong(mahjong)

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter

Last edited by misslilo; 03-23-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #25
The Quiet One

I've been trying to convince my dad but it's not happening unfortunately. I mean, if my dad played video games it would give us something in common (we don't really have anything in common at all).

He started off playing some of the old Megadrive games like Sonic but then, big surprise, lost interest. I even installed Broken Sword on his laptop, thinking it'd be the sort of game for him. He hasn't got to worry about any heavy action that'll involve quick reflexes, it's the sort of game where he can just take his time and unravel a good story with interesting characters. But, he's not interested. Too much brain-work for him and the idea of a game with a more story/character driven experience where there's lots of dialogue just doesn't appeal to him. He's the sort of person who loves over-the-top movies that just consist of heavy special effects and action with little-to-no plot.

It's strange because he's started doing crosswords in the paper, he helped me out, in the past, with some puzzle games so it's not like he hasn't got the brainpower and he claims he likes The Da Vinci Code movie.

Bottom line: He's never read a book in his life and never will, so there's no chance he'll ever play an adventure game.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
And it's a huge market too
I'm still trying to convince my mother to play adventure games, but it's a slow process.
My older sister (60+) sometimes plays casual games. But she also loves the Samorost games. That was very encouraging, so when she came over for a visit I showed her a few adventures. I thought she might enjoy Riven... boy, was I wrong... she kept saying "what am I supposed to do next? where do I go now?" I tried the 3rd-person perspective, but the dialogues and inventory-puzzles bored her. The only thing she really enjoyed was a timed action sequence in one of the old Space Quests and the lottery puzzle (skeleton) in Zork Grand Inquisitor!!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #27
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot View Post
If your computer illiterate mom displays a sudden interest in gaming...
"You talkin' to me?"
Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
Treasure Hunter

My mom really enjoyed the Myst games. So did my grand-mother (father's side). My grandfather (mother's side) tried it but was always too busy administrating forums to spend any time at it.

I think it depends more on the type of person really. My uncle is rather like me in that he'll play any type of game as long as it's good. From Half-life to Prince of Persia, to Syberia, he'll play them. I think there definitely is too much branding in the gaming world right now, and people with a wide enough view to just play games based on whether they like them or not (as opposed to the genre) is very slim. So you see, it's the gaming population who needs even more of a push than the media.

Besides, these things go in and out of favor. Arcade games (or "casual games," depends on the game) used to be very popular, then they declined, and now they're rising again. Once everyone stops getting impressed with pretty colors and "improved" physics, adventure gaming will probably come up again.

Hopefully that will be within my lifetime.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey