You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist

I just finished this game, and I'm amused!

The Modern Day Book of Healt and Hygiene is perhaps the most beautiful manual I've ever seen - an honor shared with the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles for King's Quest VI - and set perfectly the mood for this desecrating, sarcastic and caustic adaptation of the Far West's myth.

The art design, considering the age of the game, is outstanding, from the backgrounds to the characters. The music is also one of the most addicting I've ever heard in a game (I've to download the "Ballad of Freddy Pharkas" - it's great!).

And now the great writing: clever, witty, brilliant. I usually don't like humorous or light-hearted games, but if Al Lowe's pen is behind it things change. He's one hell of a writer, and in this game - thanks probably to Josh Mandel - he diluted his raunchiness a tempered it with plenty of cinema/literature/comic books citations.

Also, honorable mention to Srini, which is probably the most funny supporting character of the game (especially when I saw Antonio )

Really a great game, perhaps even better than Leisure Suit Larry 3
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

I agree. Freddy pharkas is one of my favorite games

By the way, I suggest to check out the demo for this game. The two games - Freddy Pharkas and Space Quest 6 - had something great which I don't remember any other game doing - they have a whole separate adventure as a demo for the game.

The Space Quest 6 demo takes place before the game itself, and the Freddy Pharkas demo takes place afterwards (it also includes "The Ballad of the Demo of Freddy Pharkas").

(Well, there is one other example I can think of, but not in the adventure genre - the Starcraft demo was also a prequel to the actual game)
Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
The Space Quest 6 demo takes place before the game itself, and the Freddy Pharkas demo takes place afterwards (it also includes "The Ballad of the Demo of Freddy Pharkas").
I didn't know: a great idea, really!
If I have to point out a few flaw of FPFP, I'll say that it's too short and maybe a bit to unbalanced (Act I and IV are way too easy, whilst Act II is really difficult). Exceptionally, in this game I did like the arcade sequences, 'cause - other than short and skippable - they're also funny and have a taste of retrò and démodé.

PS: Of Space Quest, I've played only the first two chapters, and I'm not conquered. Should I play further?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
PS: Of Space Quest, I've played only the first two chapters, and I'm not conquered. Should I play further?
Yes! Three and Four are the pinnacles of the series (especially IV, in my opinion). Five is also quite good, though a departure from the series before it (the game tries to be more a straight Star Trek parody).

Most people would claim that either III, IV, or V are their favourite Space Quests.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #5

Space Quests 3 and 5 are my favorites. They are also in my top 10 sierra games (and possibly even top 5)
Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #6

"Lets rape the cattle and stampede the women!!!"

I was about 13-14 when I got a hold of the game myself. I must have replayed the arcade part that included shooting at bottles over and over. I also liked the story very much, and kept imagining how good of a marksman good ol' Freddy was before he gave it up. I actually got goosebumps when I retrieved his old guns from the bank. Awsome game indeed.

Score!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #7

This game is a pure classic. They just don't make em like they used to.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Codger

On the top two or three of my top ten games list.