You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #1

Default Help me choose!

So I'm considering buying 2 games. The choices are:
Beyond Good & Evil, Paradise, Keepsake, Still Life, Psychonauts and Secret Files: Tunguska. Which ones should I take?

How long are these games and are there any replayability?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I liked Secret Files: Tunguska: the graphics are beautiful and the story, although slightly simple and predictable, is intriguing. It's not a very long game, and the puzzles, generally, are not difficult: almost all of them are inventory based puzzles (generally very simple, but two of them rather non-sense), with a few logic puzzles throw in the middle (these are funny, and if they bother you the game has a "Help" function). As for the replayability, there isn't

Paradise is a tipical Benoit Sokal's adventure: if you liked Amerzone and/or Syberia, you probably should get the game, even if it's very simple and short.

Keepsake has stunning backgrounds and a very appealing premise (at least to me), but is full of mind-blowing logic puzzles. So if you, like me, don't like these kind of challenges, maybe it's best to look for something else.

Still Life has a great story, some good characters but, in my opinion, have a very little personality and zero charme.

I suggest Secret Files and Paradise
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere View Post
Beyond Good & Evil, Paradise, Keepsake, Still Life, Psychonauts and Secret Files: Tunguska. Which ones should I take?

Beware that two of those, Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts are actually action games, with some AG elements to them. On the other hand, imho, they are incredibly good games and, much as I love AGs, I would clearly take them over the rest. Being action-based, there is always a fair amount of replayability: hidden alleys, lots of points to collect...

About the rest, I'd just want to point out that I enjoyed Still Life, but quickly uninstalled Paradise, it felt so boring. That's just my opinion, of course.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Just charging up

2 copies of Psychonauts obviously.

Seriously though, I'm with Periglo on this one.
I'd like to add that I did enjoy Secret Files: Tunguska a lot but I think that Still Life is the best pure adventure game on your list.
In terms of quality I'd list them as follows (best to "worst"):

1.Psychonauts
2.Beyond Good & Evil
3.Still Life
4.Secret Files: Tunguska
5.Paradise
6.Keepsake (this one I haven't played yet however)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Sik

Without saying something about what you like and don't like, this just becomes a popularity contest. Out of the choices listed, I'd go with Still Life and Secret Files: Tunguska. That's just according to my preferences, though.

For replayability, probably Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil.
For length, anything except Paradise.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:

get the Adventure Collection Volume 1 it has both Keepsake and Tunguska plus 3 more games and also get Still Life and Paradise.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #7

Phsyconats and Beyond Good and evil are different kind of games than adventure. pretty nice though. I'll suggest for adventure games Still life and Keepsake. As for the others you better go first on Beyond Good and Evil... Veeeery nice game
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #8

Well, I bought Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, Anachronox and Secret Files: Tunguska.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Well, I bought Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, Anachronox and Secret Files: Tunguska.
Excellent choice. Just one of them can be considered a full-feature AG (two are action-ish, other is RPG-ish), but what the heck, you are going to have fun.