You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bow Street Runner - online point 'n' click

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Swollen Member

Default Bow Street Runner - online point 'n' click

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock, Paper, Shotgun
British Broadcasters Channel 4 send word of the first of their new online games, a rather well produced point-and-click detective adventure Bow Street Runner, which is set to arrive in a number of episodes in the coming months. The game is aimed to educate players about the work of the early police force - The Bow Street Runners - who were tasked with cleaning up the crime-ridden horrors of Georgian London. Surprisingly, it’s pretty good.
More in the full RPS article. There's a preview up already for anyone curious.

Oh and hello all.

/me waves

Last edited by Wrestlevania; 02-13-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #2

hmm, doesn't look too bad for a flash-based adventure.

I'm interested to see, how the ranking-up feature affects the gameplay in the full version.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

It's interesting, though I'm not a big fan of online games, what with the lagging and connectivity issues. Entertaining if you have some time to spare.

Unfortunately I ran into a couple of bugs, one that prevented me from saving a character near the end (the game froze me in a close up of one of several wounds I had to heal while the timer continued to click away without me being able to leave the close up), and another that froze the game after the movie that explains the fate of the killer (after I proved they did it). Couldn't be bothered to replay it as I can't skip dialogs or movies...

Pros: Interesting Plot. Good acting.

Cons: Not much more than interactive movie. Very simple "puzzles". Annoying mini-games. Long loading times. Audio was out of sinc (possibly as a result of my connection not being as fast as the creators intended it to be).

My score: 2.5/5

I probably won't bother with future episodes, but I would be interested in a non-online version.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlevania View Post
More in the full RPS article. There's a preview up already for anyone curious.

Oh and hello all.

/me waves
Welcome Wrestlevania! Are you the same Mr. Vania who's at IT?

I've got the game bookmarked for the future (when I'm less busy). Thanks for the link.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Swollen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Are you the same Mr. Vania who's at IT?
That I is.

I played the preview of the game during my lunchbreak yesterday and really liked the look and feel of the thing. Rooting around for clues - especially the really grubby bit (you'll know what I mean) - was actually more fun than I thought it would be. I think it does suffer from cursor-waving though; sweeping back and forth trying to find the unclicked.

I didn't get too far through it to be honest--I'm typically awful at anything that doesn't involve shooting/hitting things until they fall over. But it was very appealing all the same.

Looking forward to seeing how the game develops.

Last edited by Wrestlevania; 02-14-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added play summary.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
JKR

This was a thousand times better than I ever expected. I'm not usually a fan of First Person Adventures, but this had a great feel to it. I didn't get too far (second scene) because I had to get back to work, but I would almost certainly look into buying a copy of the full game if it weren't just online.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

The BBC does produced a lot of cool online flash adventure games and this was another one.

Cool presentation. It was an nice idea and the best part of it , it's free.

http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...nner/game.html