You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Version of Kings Quest VI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #1

Default Best Version of Kings Quest VI

Ok, so which is the best, Black, White, Red, or Blue? I really want to get this game so any help in directing me to where I can purchase the best version for cheapest would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would like to thank Adventure games for being the kind of game that got me into gaming when I was young. I really enjoy adventure games and I know they will never die even if the magazines think so. If anyone hasn't played "Zack and Wiki" on Wii, It sounds strange and, well... it IS strange but it reminds me of the old days of adventure gaming in a way, give it a shot for something similar but different, and in the meantime, please help me achieve KQ6!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

There is no difference between colors. They are all the floppy version. This is a game that you will really want the CD version. Speech and higher rez graphics (in the Windows version.)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #3

Are you sure that is true? I was looking at a white CD and a Red CD, I know black is floppy. What are the differences b/t the CD versions?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Any CD you get should contain both the DOS version and the Windows version. The CD version contains an extended opening scene and voices, and the Windows version on the CD has higher resolution art (especially obvious in the dialogue pictures). I actually prefer the DOS art, so that's just a matter of taste.

I think Collector's right that the game was originally released with different color boxes, but there isn't a difference in the contents of those boxes.

Whatever version you get, make sure it comes with a manual (the Guidebook to the Green Isles, not the CD jewel case insert), or you're going to have trouble with the copy protection.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #5

The best KQ6 is the one where you make it to the end without any dead ends.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Is it safe to assume that the one in the KQ Collection is the CD version?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #7

It is.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that the one in the KQ Collection is the CD version?
The most recent collection contains only the DOS version. Earlier collections have both DOS and Windows. It can be hard to get the Windows version running on XP, which is probably why it wasn't included in the newest collection.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
The most recent collection contains only the DOS version. Earlier collections have both DOS and Windows. It can be hard to get the Windows version running on XP, which is probably why it wasn't included in the newest collection.
Wrong. It has the Windows version, too, but is setup to run the DOS version in DOSBox. The patch (check the VU boards) will set it up to run the Windows version on XP.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Huh. I had poked around on the disc but only saw the DOS version, didn't know about the patch. Well, that's good to hear!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #11

The disc will show you nothing. It is just an installer with cabs, DOSBox .63 source archive, a PDF of the 2nd collection's manual and Acrobat Reader. The installed games are missing the original install files, so anyone wishing to change game settings to something better (like AdLib to General MIDI) would have to manually edit the RESOURCE.CFG, which the patch restores these missing files. The games seem to come from a hodge podge of different sources, many coming from the 2nd collection, but the KQ7 comes from the stand alone version (version 1.4). The version that came from the 2nd collection was version 2, which starts in XP with no problems. Version 2 also came with a DOS version which can be played in DOSBox to avoid the firecracker bug.

In addition to setting up the Windows version of KQ6, the patch restores the missing files, includes both the official patches and the NewRisingSun patch and updates KQ7 to version 2 with the DOS interpreter so it can be played in DOSBox. It also allows you to use recent versions of DOSBox, which are vastly improved over the version that ships with the collection. DOSBox will continue to be easily updatable.