You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Having trouble sticking with adventure games. Recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #1

Default Having trouble sticking with adventure games. Recommendations?

Just like everyone else on these boards, I've really been into adventure games... but I'm really picky about them. I've bought a lot of them over the past years, mostly ones that are a little more underground, and are harder to find. Some I play through, most of them I don't. I may be getting bored with certain ones, so I've been trying to find ones that are similar to the ones I love and have played through many times. I'm usually a big fan of games that just have an interesting story. Usually some haunting, unknown, conspiracy-like, story, haha.

So I came here because I'd like to be apart of all the discussions here on adventure games, and because I need some recommendations on what I may like. I figured I'd list a few games I've played through and enjoyed:

Blade Runner
Night Long
Midnight Nowhere
Safe cracker
Myst (all series)
Sanitarium

I own and play a lot more than those, those are just ones I've really gotten addicted to. Some people told me I would really like Fall-out 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment. I played both, and I just couldn't finish them.

So anyway, anyone who throws some names my way that I may like, I would really appreciate it!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums Cage!

I'm going to throw a recommendation out that you may or may not like. It's Conspiracies (the game info is on that page). It's one of those games that I've played a couple of times but it has its flaws. It doesn't have the most breathtaking graphics, you navigate using the arrow keys and you can look around using by using the mouse. But it has a cool story!

Read the review and see what you think.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Staff Member

Maybe Beneath A Steel Sky, which is now freely available, would fit the bill? Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy also has similar themes to some of the preferences you expressed.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #4

I've seen that conspiracy game around, I've been meaning to check it out!

Same with Beneath A Steel Sky, it looks like something I would enjoy.

Thanks a lot! I'll look up those games right now.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

And I've also been told to check out, "Still Life", which looks like a lot of fun.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Go to ScummVM. This is the downloads page that has the emulator itself, ScummVM, as well as the download for Beneath a Steel Sky.

And yes, Still Life is a cool game. There are some gory scenes and strong language (it earns its M rating). There is one puzzle towards the end, that if you can't get past it, there are save games out there to get you past it.

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-16-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

How about Scratches?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Fallout Fanatic

I just got Barrow Hill and I must say its rather creepy and totally worth getting

I also recommend Fallout, the best CRPG I have ever played....
Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #9

I just got that Scumm program you're talking about, I've never even heard of this. But it's awesome, haha. Are there any other websites that have games you can download for the program? Or just their site?

I check out Barrow Hill, it looks pretty cool, I'll add it to the list.

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Lazy Bee

Barrow Hill, Scratches and Still Life are great! I also enjoyed The Moment of Silence and The Dark Fall games.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #11

I've been meaning to check out Moment of Silence, it reminded me a lot of "Midnight Nowhere"
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #12

Or for a different type of adventure game, how about Evidence: The Last Ritual? I haven't started it but the concept seems engaging.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntrndrw View Post
I just got Barrow Hill and I must say its rather creepy and totally worth getting
Ohhh... I am adding it to my list!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa View Post
Or for a different type of adventure game, how about Evidence: The Last Ritual? I haven't started it but the concept seems engaging.
I actually got that game as a gift from someone about a year ago? I kinda liked it, I wasn't big on how it was strictly puzzles n' such, but it was cool overall!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #15

Also, has anyone heard anything good from this game, "I have no mouth, and I must scream"? It looked really rad.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I actually got that game as a gift from someone about a year ago? I kinda liked it, I wasn't big on how it was strictly puzzles n' such, but it was cool overall!
Okay I started Evidence yesterday and after a few puzzles, I just couldn't get into it... Maybe I'll give it a try in a few months.

Oh, thought of another that you might like: Obsidian.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #17

I keep thinking of games you might like. How about Zork Nemesis? Deviates from the other Zork games... a little dark with no humour.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #18
The Ultimate Insult

Have you tried Secret files: Tunguska? The voice acting gets really annoying and the ends a bit lame, but its a nice game otherwise.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #19

I'll check those games out you guys listed.

I have heard of Tunguska, and like most others, been meaning to check it out. It looks pretty cool.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
Elegantly copy+pasted

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is very cool. It's a bit jumbled as a game, with puzzles that can seem unclear and a story that is a bit hard to get a grip on, but the concept is just so unique and interesting that it holds it all together.