You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Quirks and Traditions while Adventuring

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Quirks and Traditions while Adventuring

When sitting at the computer, what are your quirks and traditions while adventuring?

I remember when I first got into it, I'd watch my Dad play when I was too little to play myself. Yet I had the best time watching as he'd involve me as best as he could.

Now that my dad is well and truly over it, I went in search of a new right-hand-man and convinced my boyfriend to play with me. He got into it after a lot of pesturing but it's not the same...

When playing Myst he just rushed through all the screens he possibly could and even managed to run past the letter addressed to Catherine.

In Space Quest, whenever possible (when I'd go to the toilet or what-not) he'd quickly check up on the walkthrough and pretend that he'd figured it out himself! Grr! We weren't even stuck for very long! When I banned him from the walkthrough, he'd leave whenever we got stuck leaving me to try and figure it out myself.

And the worst bit is when he's playing and I make a suggestion on what we could try next when stuck, he ignores me and tries all his own things! Argh!

Having said all this, it's still a nice tradition to share an Adventure Game experience with someone else.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I got into adventure gaming because my dad brought some Sierra games home from work. We started with Leisure Suit Larry.

I wish my boyfriend was into AGs, because I think it would be a fun thing to share, but he's just not a gamer.

I'd say my quirk now is that I like to have a ton of time to myself. If it's Friday night and I'm home alone until Sunday, I'll start a new adventure game. If not... it doesn't always seem worth it. I really like having that uninterrupted time to play and get engrossed in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I got into adventure gaming because my dad brought some Sierra games home from work. We started with Leisure Suit Larry.
Same here My dad brought back home two games; KQ1 and LSL1

My quirks and traditions? Hmmm...

When I was a wee little lad, I played a lot of computer games with my friends. Most of my friends had a faster/better computer than me so naturally I wanted to play on their computer. The only games I didn't want to play on their computer were adventure games...

I loved my adventure games so much that I would only play them at home. Ofcourse they could all play them but if they wanted to play them with me they'd better play them on my computer

Also, if a new game is released in a particular series, I have to complete all the previous games in the series before I can start the new game (this also goes for movies).

Oh, I also have to have snacks and something to drink when playing adventure games. I don't eat when playing other games, just adventure games...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

I always turn the subtitles on (where available) but I still listen to all the dialogue if voiced. The way I figure it is, even if they're poor, someone's made the effort to record the dialogue so it's only right to listen to it.

For similar reasons I always sit through game credits (and film credits for that matter) as well. The names may mean nothing to me but by watching them I acknowledge the effort these people put in, especially if it's a game I enjoyed.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
For similar reasons I always sit through game credits (and film credits for that matter) as well. The names may mean nothing to me but by watching them I acknowledge the effort these people put in, especially if it's a game I enjoyed.
I also do that

In addition, you never know what suprise they've added at the end of the credits...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

I have a comment I often say to my hubby and/or children when I go to the computer for a session of adventure gaming:
-Oh well, I'm going to go and save the world now.

It also means: don't disturb me the next hour please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I always turn the subtitles on (where available) but I still listen to all the dialogue if voiced. The way I figure it is, even if they're poor, someone's made the effort to record the dialogue so it's only right to listen to it.
I also always turn the subtitles on. Not having English as my first langauge sometimes makes it hard to catch everything just from listening to the dialogues.

Quote:
Same here. I've always done that.

Apart from that I don't think there are any specific quirks that I can recall here and now.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

the only quirk I have [dont know if it counts] I like to have a big glass of ice coffee and a packet of smiths chicken chips [helps me think, thats my excuse anyway].
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #8

Default quirks

I always turn subtitles on, when possible. Not only is it easier when your first language is not English, but also since my my reading is quite fast, I can quickly go through lots of dialog / speech (for instance "the longest journey").
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I used to and still do on occasion play adventure games with my friends. It's cool because we just sit around playing the game, making suggestions, telling jokes, making fun of the game, stuff like that. Sometimes it's the only time I do play certain games because they're so much more fun that way.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

For me, it was the other way around. I used to be the one playing the adventure games while my younger brother watched. I remember us finding the "he's got a bladder the size of a thimble, man" line from Full Throttle especially hilarious at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsum View Post
...since my my reading is quite fast, I can quickly go through lots of dialog / speech (for instance "the longest journey").
I do that too. Unless, of course, the dialogue is both well-acted and not too verbose. That's when I'll kick back and listen.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #11

I used to watch my dad play too, and help out. I think the first game we played together was Conquests of the Longbow. Now he's all about playing FPS games and finds if there is too much dialog in the adventure game, it's boring. I think that's how he felt about TLJ, though I keep getting him or my mom to try it.

I did get my mom to play both of the Syberia games and she enjoyed those. I remember not too long ago that she asked for a new adventure game to try, and I gave her some suggestions, but she still hasn't looked into them yet. I have also gotten her help a few times on some recent games I've played. Sometimes she's better at solving puzzles than I am. It's probably a better idea than resorting to a walkthrough.

Anyway, getting off topic. There are no other traditions I have that I know of, other than continually replaying my old favorites once a year or every two years.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #12

For me, whatever game it is, I always enjoy playing with someone else. You can take turns at the controls, and pass ideas back and forth. I guess I associate many of my favorite games with those I've played them with, and even when I've finished a game on my own, if it was exceptional I would want to share it with someone else and play it with them.
This, and having cheese and crackers and drinking beer or wine while playing.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

I always write things down, even when there is a built-in note taking system in the game. I keep my notes too. They don't contain direct answers to problems but they are helpful when replaying a game. Mapping mazes, for instance, is not my favourite pastime so I have to do that only once. Furthermore I never do anything for more than two hours straight. But that doesn't mean I can't play for more than two hours a day

Edit: Oh, and I never play adventure games with someone else. It distracts me. Although I have been through some Myst ages together with my mother, which was fun.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #14

Ha ha ha! I just remembered another quirk which is that I can't play a game unless the music and dialogue is the best that the producers intended it to be. I had to download patches for Space Quest 3 so I could have music before I started it.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
I also do that

In addition, you never know what suprise they've added at the end of the credits...
Yes, and it allows you to let the end of the game sink in. If the ending was particularly good, I just don't want the game to end, so I watch the credits... and sometimes get treated to a little extra something the creators put in!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #16
QFG

I remember my dad used to let me play mostly by myself... until I would come downstairs (computer was in the attic) mad as hell, stuck on something. He was analyze the game situation, give some recommendations (which were almost always spot-on), and then recommend I go do something outside to blow off steam. Worked like a charm every time...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #17

I turn subtitles on and I write down things too. I have a loose leaf notebook that I use specifically to hold my gaming notes.

I number my saved games, ie. 01 game start, 02 in hallway, etc. so they're always in order.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLinda View Post
I turn subtitles on and I write down things too. I have a loose leaf notebook that I use specifically to hold my gaming notes.

I number my saved games, ie. 01 game start, 02 in hallway, etc. so they're always in order.
Oh, that reminds me, I number my saved games too, but I just put my name and then the number because I'm boring like that.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #19
The Major Grubert.

I started when my GF showed me a how cool the ride from island to island was in Riven... but she never played the game. So I did, by myself, and rest is history. I once played into the morning, not noticing the time until it was 3:30am... but I didn't stop. (I never did that again though.)

Years later, I would show her the advanced graphics of something like Myst V and she would be amazed by the eye-candy, but was still not interested in the game itself.

Quirks? While I just posted in another thread apparent disdain for note taking, I tend to take extensive notes. Perhaps why I dread playing one that requires it. I haven't finished REAM 2 still (life caused me to stop it), and I fear re-starting it because I plan on redoing all of my notes.

I always enable subtitles if they're available, and if there's a junior mode, I default to it.

I always keep a UHS Hints icon on my desktop, but try not to use it (and often don't finish reading the page when something mentioned causes me to smack my forehead--"of COURSE!"). I have consulted full walk-throughs, but only when I'm really stuck.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #20

I guess my only "tradition" is to try to play when it's dark out. I used to have a rather dim monitor, so it was necessary with games that had dark areas. Now I have a bright monitor, but I still like playing in the dark.