You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #1

Default What to play?

Yes, I'm new here. Yes, I know there are probably already hundreds of threads like this but I really need some help with what to play.

First, let me tell you what I've played already (Don't worry, there's not too many) and my personal opinions of them:

Lure of the Temptress: I can't really remember much about this game, I played it so long ago. Anyway, I know there was some fighting parts in it that I wasn't too keen on.

Discworld Noir: This is the only Discworld game that I've played. Again, it's been a while since I've played it, but I can remember liking the humour, and I think some of the puzzles were a bit obscure. Like I said, I can't really remember.

Broken Sword: Now we're getting into my favourites. I like all the BS games. Yep, no BS hate from me. There are some great one-liners, George has to be one of my favourite characters ever and I like most of the puzzles (OK, they overdid it with the crates and the hacking, but hey, everyone makes mistakes ). My only complaints would be the wierd ending to BS3 and the confusing plot of BS4. That said, I still think both games are great.

Monkey Island: I love the original MI games. The stories are good, the characters are great, there's fantastic humour, the puzzles are great, I could go on forever about how great these games are. I also rate MI3 VERY highly, though the gold-statue-curse plot was slightly less convincing than the plots of the originals. Then there's MI4. I'm sure that as an adventure game it's fine, it's just as a Monkey Island game that it fails. It seems that the first three are set in the age of piracy with a few deliberate anachronisms (grog machine ), but that EfMI is now set in modern times with Guybrush & co pretending to be pirates. I don't like that.

Grim Fandango: Here we go. As I said at the beginning, this is my personal opinion - this is the best computer game of all time. I love the mixture of humour and seriousness, the storyline is fantastic, the characters are amazing, the puzzles are great and I just love the overall style of the game.

Now, I need to know which games are similar to these, not necessarily in style, but in terms of gameplay. I've been reading this board for a while and have read some reviews, but I'm still not sure.
A few that I think I might be interested in are The Longest Journey, Syberia and possibly Secret Files: Tunguska. By seeing what I've already played and enjoyed, do you all think I would like these games? Do you have any other suggestions? I've also heard about Myst, but I'm not too sure about it.

Anyway, if anyone can be bothered to read all this then I'd be grateful for some suggestions
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #2

It seems there are some classics you haven't played that you would enjoy a lot, based on what you tell us. I'd suggest: Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam & Max.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Elegantly copy+pasted

Yeah, get the rest of the LucasArts classics. Fate of Atlantis is a must-own.

If you venture over into Sierra, Gabriel Knight 1 might be a good place to start.

It also sounds like you would enjoy the Tex Murphy games. Most people start with Under a Killing Moon. The Pandora Directive is the best one.

I think you will probably enjoy The Longest Journey, yeah. You could give Myst a try; I don't think it's possible to predict whether you'll like it from the games that you've played.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
say yes when nobody asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Yeah, get the rest of the LucasArts classics. Fate of Atlantis is a must-own.

If you venture over into Sierra, Gabriel Knight 1 might be a good place to start.

It also sounds like you would enjoy the Tex Murphy games. Most people start with Under a Killing Moon. The Pandora Directive is the best one.

I think you will probably enjoy The Longest Journey, yeah. You could give Myst a try; I don't think it's possible to predict whether you'll like it from the games that you've played.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Premium choices these
Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can get hold of some of the LucasArts classics. Does anyone know if they're sold anywhere in the UK? I'd guess that they may turn up as pre-owned every so often, but is there anywhere that sells them new? Or is e-bay my only option? Thanks again!