You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Grim Fandango Updated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #1

Default Grim Fandango Updated?

I’m playing Grim Fandango for the first time. And although I’m just one-third through, I’m utterly impressed. I’ve never heard anything negative about this old favorite. So due to a lack of good new adventure games, I thought I’d give it a try.

The magnificent voices and beautiful accents (turns out Manny is a long time actor currently playing “ugly” Betty’s father), the largeness of the locations, the humorous twists, great dialogue, plot and puzzles are as good as I’ve seen anywhere. Although I’m getting used to the dated techniques of controlling it on my PC, I wonder if this is a game that can be revived for a whole new generation of players using current methods?

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
DAVE

Well I don't think there's much you can improve on. The sound was good, the music was good too and the graphics while not that great, they do manage to retain some credibility when you think you're watching a cartoonized version of skeletons and it isn't supposed to look very real anyway. I don't believe it's aged one bit since it came out.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #3

Yes … I agree, this game is ageless. And the voices prove that even a paper bag can have personality plus, if the actor behind it is fantastic.

I’m not saying the art or the voices need improving … well … maybe the art in some rare places could be enhanced just a little, perhaps. And I sure wouldn’t want the voices to change!! What I was referring to, however, is the method of picking up inventory, saving files and such. It has a little DOS feel to it that perhaps can be updated and simplified for a new generation.

Just a thought … I wouldn’t want to mess with perfection.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #4

Ahhh, yes...one of the rare games where everything comes together perfectly!! (imo, of course)

Thanks, AprilLives, for the interesting tid-bit on Manny Calaveras' voice actor - Ugly Betty's dad!? I'll have to check it out!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I guess I'm going to have to catch a glimpse of that show then.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I've hooked many people on adventure gaming by giving them a copy of Grim Fandango. The $9 jewel case only version on Amazon is (was?) an excellent deal and made for an easy gift.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Grim is my favourite adventure, I've been watching Ugly Betty, I had no idea.

It won't happen, but things that could be improved:
Non-fixed Camera full 3D
Faster interface for inventory
No bouncing off walls
Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
I've come for the fork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
No bouncing off walls
That was my one and only problem with Grim. I started playing it again yesterday and man, that's annoying. Other than that little problem though, I wouldnt change a thing.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Manny as Ugly Betty's dad is quite spooky. I've seen him in other things too - he was a baddie in 24 and he turned up as an alien in Deep Space Nine - but I think this is the first time I've heard him using his natural 'Manny' voice.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

He was also in a fairly recent Steven Seagal movie as the warden El Fuego.

Wow, I just checked idmb and it seems Half Past Dead is getting a sequel, woah! And Plana is reprising his role as the warden.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #11

Grim Fandango is one of the finest titles I ever played, next to Blade Runner and Syberia 2, but I'm yet to play the Longest Journey so my opinion might change with regard to my top 3 adventure games.

I don't see how one could improve upon GF.. it's perfect the way it is. I don't even think a hi-res model pack is necessary. However it would be lovely to have that incredible artwork much less compressed and at a higher resolution.

This is OT but I've been pondering getting Bioforge. It freaked me out when I was a kid, and I'm not into weird games that much. So can anyone still recommend it for me? Thanks for your time.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #12

Grim Fandango truly is the greatest adventure game ever (IMO). I really can't get enough of it.

Manny is Ugly Betty's dad? Wow. I've seen a few episodes and I haven't noticed it. I feel like a lousy GF-fan now...
Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I've hooked many people on adventure gaming by giving them a copy of Grim Fandango.

Maybe I should've done the same. I bought the game twice, lend it to somebody twice and didn't get it back in both cases.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
I've come for the fork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar_t View Post
This is OT but I've been pondering getting Bioforge. It freaked me out when I was a kid, and I'm not into weird games that much. So can anyone still recommend it for me? Thanks for your time.
Bioforge is alot of fun. Considering you can get it for $5.00 here, you can't go too wrong with trying it out. It's a pretty short, has a few frustrating action bits, and it's a pain to get working right in DOSBox - but I still like to play through it now and again.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar_t View Post
Welcome Pulsar.

If you decide to get the game and want to talk about it, you can go to the General forum and if you run into difficulties getting it to run in DOSBox, ask in the Hints and Tips forum. There are many people here who know how to use DOSBox well (not me though ), so they can give you a hand.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #16

Grim Fandango is also the game I tend to lend to all my (non-adventuring-gamers) friends

Had to whine a lot to get them started with it at first, but I allways had awe-some comments afterwarts...

defenitly one of the best games ever

Native language: Dutch (sorry for my English)
Old 01-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #17

I think the only real way it could be improved on is if the background images were sharpened, there was native anti-aliasing support, they implement a point and click interface, and if it worked consistently on newer operating systems.

But then again, if that happened, there'd be no reason to make new games because it would be too perfect.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #18

a port for the DS would be nice..