You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which one should I play first?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Tha

Default Which one should I play first?

Which one of these three games should I buy/ play first?
Dreamfall, Fahrenheit or Secret Files: Tunguska.
I've looked at the trailer of Tunguska, looks interesting. Anyone wants to give opinion bout this game?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #2

throw a dice
Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
say yes when nobody asked

This is just my personal opinion, but I would have played these games (I have, and have played, all of them) in this order: Tunguska (because it's good game with an interesting enough story and because it isn't too difficult to play through), Dreamfall (because it's one of my favourite games and a follow-up to The Longest Journey and I want to spend a lot of time with this game when I play it), and Fahrenheit, which is also an interesting enough game.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #4

Play them in any order you like.... just make sure you play Dreamfall.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #5

Tunguska -> Fahrenheit -> Dreamfall
so the best will be played last
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

These games are very different from eachother. So, play in every order you want.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Super Moderator

As others have stated, they are very different from each other, especially in terms of gameplay. Tunguska is a point and click adventure, lots of inventory and an interesting story (I've played most of this). Dreamfall has a direct control scheme, fantastic story (my opinion) and some stealth and combat, whereas Fahrenheit (I haven't played this) has a very different kind of gameplay that some have found OK and others have found frustrating.

If you haven't read the reviews to get an idea (listed in alphabetical order):

Dreamfall

Indigo Prophecy (in N. America and Fahrenheit in Europe)

Secret Files: Tunguska
Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #8

Well, Tunguska has interesting story, nice graphics, and quite well done controls, but it was spoiled by horrible and I really mean HORRIBLE voice acting, I was almost unbearable to listen to it. Dreamfall has a great story, music, and even voice acting was quite good. On the other hand Fahrenheit could be compared to Shen Mue, except one element of Shen Mue that was Virtua Fighter-like fighting scenes. It has really great story, controls seem a bit hard at first but you will get used to it pretty soon, music is fantastic and voice acting as well. So I'd recommed to play Tunguska first since it would spoil your good mood after finishing the other two.

Running Slackware Linux
Old 01-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Schättenjager

Fahrenheit so intense and addictive offers an unforgattable experience,(quite satisfactory except finale)
Dreamfall mixed graphics with mixed story so called adv. of the year
(ok for me til chapter 5 but rest pretty boorring)
and Tunguska plain ol'school adv.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
tsa
Playing character

If you don't like action scenes and fighting at all, play Dreamfall first, just to get it over with. If you love to see a fantastic story unfold before you, play Dreamfall last. This way you're not hurried by the other adventure(s) you still have to play.

Last edited by tsa; 01-14-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #11

Well, I'd be all for Fahrenheit. It does have the better atmosphere, an almost satisfactory but definitely self-contained plot (I'm looking at you Dreamfall), and it was quite a fresh approach in the genre... Dreamfall is also very good, just not as quirky and Tunguska -frankly- isn't such a good game...
Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
Tha

Thanks for all opinion guys! I love action but also love magical stories.. Well, I will play the famous Dreamfall first, been reading alot reviews bout this game and I shouldn't wait any longer..
Will have second thought to play Tunguska though, not sure if it's good enough.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #13

Tunguska is not that bad... the voice acting has some flaws but it definitely isn't "horrible". The story is interesting...kind of... it could be better. Personally i had some real fun playing it.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 AM   #14
say yes when nobody asked

I definitely agree with Keregioz here. Despite having not the best voice acting, I enjoyed playing the game and the story enough that I can say it's definitely worth the money.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #15

I am surprised nobody has pointed out that perhaps Dreamfall should be played after The Longest Journey. Then again, the gameplay is quite different in the two sequels, being more traditional in TLJ (2D, puzzles). In any case, the two games should be played together, whatever the order, to make some sense of the big picture.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #16

I would go for Tunguska.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #17

I liked Tunguska. I hate pixel hunting so I thought the option to highlight all hotspots and exits in a scene was great. I really missed having that option when I played Runaway 2.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

To me, even though I've only played the start of Dreamfall, it's clearly the best.

Tunguska was mediocre and Fahrenheit was just promising at first but utter crap in the end.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #19

I would play Dreamfall, which is far from perfect, but the most ambitious of the three with a bigger, more refreshing world to explore.

Then Tunguska, which is ok, fun to play, but which wouldn't stand out in a crowd (note that I can't comment on the english voice acting, having played it in French).

And lastly, Fahrenheit, which could have been exciting but ended up being stupid.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
Tha

How interesting now that I heard that Fahrenheit has crap ending... I wanted to play Fahrenheit since I'm a big fan of blade runner and I heard they are similar.

And about TLJ 1..mmm don't attack me back on this (I know how popular this game is) but I just can not stand the talking (too long), the pixel hunting is too difficult for me and the most important is the scenery is really bad. Is it because I played this game at 2006 so that it looks so out of date... And I have to admit, I didn't finish the game because it's way too boring for me so I uninstalled it. I don't know if it's because I don't get the story or it's just not my kind of game. Funny thing is when I first look at it I thought I'm gonna love it..maybe coz influenced by the reviews...

But seeing Dreamfall, I couldn't stand not to play it. I love all the screen shots, looks fantastic and the story sounds intriguing.. I just bought it at ebay and have to wait for 2 weeks since to play it coz it's from overseas. I hope I still be able to understand the story without finishing the first one. Well, I'm sure I'm gonna like this one anyway.

And Tunguska, yeah guys, I think i'm gonna give it a try later after I finish Dreamfall. Really like the trailer, I showed it to my bro (who hates adventure games) and he said it was awesome... Since some of you said it's worth playing I will try it. Really curious how bad is the voice acting