You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Holmes awakened to DCOTE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default Holmes awakened to DCOTE

New Holmes game seemed overinfluenced with Coc Dcote style,gives you horrid feeling of dejavu and who frustrated with Coc Dcote one good thing is no jump action avaiable.(although havent finished yet)Bad thing Holmes physical looking more weak this time and cant convey any charisma whatsoever then again playing fpv makes you that forgatteble but i dont remember when full 3d fpv made an adv. exciting without solving transport issues...
Techically lightning poor,camera cuts-close ups quite irritating (no emotion filter -low res suits...if there was a way to close)
Actually havent decide if any better then Silverearring,despite complex tech behind full3d world im not sure when you putting down play as a cam (animation saver)will ever make an adv.more playable?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

What the hell are you on about?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Schättenjager

Here, first and fair review:
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=752199
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

Default Good review

Read a review for "Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened" in a Norwegian webmagazine where it got 5 out 6 points.

Main points:

"One of the best attemps to take adventure gaming to full 3D"
"Close to perfect, one of the best adventure games seen the last couple of years"

For those of you who can read Norwegian, here is the link to the full review: http://www.tromsoby.no/article.php/k...190156841.html
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Baddest Badguy Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
What the hell are you on about?
I think the problem is that Gabe did not define his abbreviations first. I am assuming that "CoC Dcote" is another Sherlock Holmes (SH) game, but I have never played one before, so I cannot say for sure. I did buy SH: The Awakened and I will start to play it once I have completed Evidence and Secret Files: Tunguska.

See how I was able to use the SH abbreviation after I defined it?
(I know, I know. I am being smarmy. I'm sorry. However, I was thinking the exact same thing as Hammerite. It is intended in good humour, I swear. )

Stain
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #6

COC DCOTE is not a Sherlock Holmes game. It is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth which is an fps that has some adventure gaming elements. It's pretty good.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Baddest Badguy Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by igpx407 View Post
COC DCOTE is not a Sherlock Holmes game. It is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth which is an fps that has some adventure gaming elements. It's pretty good.
Ahhh, see? I get it now. The HP Lovecraft connection. Thanks!

That is the embarassing thing about all these game title abbreviations... having to ask what they mean. I even own CoC DCotE for the Xbox! I was stuck thinking only about old Sherlock titles. I guess that is why I eventually resort to walkthroughs in almost every adventure game I have played in the last decade.

Stain
Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by igpx407 View Post

pretty good? Call of Cthulhu Dark corners of the earth is one of the best games i have ever seen, an absolute masterpiece.
By the way, it is not an FPS, it is an adventure with a few fps elements.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #9

Yes, I did understate the dark power of Dark Corners but it starts off more adventure-y being a private detective and all but later in the game it gets dangerously close to being straight up gunnin. It has it's moments of each. Like shooting everything that moves in the ship level compared to sneaking around and solving puzzles in the Cult of Dagon building. But I think it really shines with the sweet health system.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzax View Post
pretty good? Call of Cthulhu Dark corners of the earth is one of the best games i have ever seen, an absolute masterpiece.
By the way, it is not an FPS, it is an adventure with a few fps elements.
it becomes fps with very few adventure elements the moment "Attack of fishermen" begins. It's a shame they didn't set up the whole game like the Insomouth exploration level. Anyway, it is a nice game, not masterpiece by any way(some very poor levels prevent it from being one), but one of best fpses last year

I was actualy playing both Awakened and DCOTE at the same time and though that mixing Awakaned with DCTOE(and a bit of Penumbra) would produce perfect horror adventure game
Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #11

"Attack of the fishmen" is one of the best levels in the whole game and some of the best 10 minutes i have ever experienced playing. In my opinion Call of Cthulhu has a perfect balance between action and adventure. I think it never really turns into a pure FPS since action is never the best choice in the game, i can understand that for graphic adventure lovers the game has too much action but I honestly think the game is really amazing, it is intense, thrilling, it has a great story, fantastic design and atmosphere, ....
Personally the first 1-2 hours in the game are my favourites, before you get your first weapon, but the rest of the game is just as great, you are doing different things all the time, it never becomes a shooter or anything like that.
That´s what i think at least.