You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Thats the ticket

Default Myst Complete

Wow!

"Contains Myst Masterpiece, Riven, Myst III Exile, Myst IV Revelation & Myst V End of Ages in one amazing value pack!"

All this for $49.95 Australian dollars. Myst Collection @ Gameswarehouse

This is now my 5th favourite collection behind Lucasarts, Legend, Space Quest and Leisuresuit Larry.

Also I am a Myst world virgin (although I did buy Pyst for a laugh but didn't get the jokes because I have never played Myst-Doh! ) so I am really stoked.

Has anyone here ever finished the Myst games without a walkthrough?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Schättenjager

Imo Myst abandonware anyway good shopping
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 AM   #3
Kung Fu Code Poet

it's one of the best selling series of games of all time, so it's hardly abandonware and most likely won't be that for a long time.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:07 AM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

if they priced it by quality then they'd pay me to buy it.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
tsa
Playing character

We get it. You don't like it.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Master of time and space

It's a bargain considering what you're getting for that price. In my opinion Riven and Revelation are the best in the series. I've had to resort to a UHS hint once or twice a game with the exception of Exile which I didn't need a single hint to finish it. To bad it doesn't come with realMyst, it's far better than the original in my opinion.

*edit*
I've had far more trouble getting through games like Discworld and Feeble Files than the Myst games...

Last edited by MdaG; 12-26-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
Lost monkey

Ive had to resort to the UHS for every bloody puzzle, too hard and frustrating
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
the exception of Exile which I didn't need a single hint to finish it.
Thats bloody amazing. I bow to your adventuring prowess.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
tsa
Playing character

I also didn't need hints for Exile. In Revelation however, there was one puzzle I didn't get even with all the help form the in-built help system. As a last 'hint' the help system just gives you the answer and even then I didn't understand the puzzle.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #10
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
Thats bloody amazing. I bow to your adventuring prowess.
I think it's more about which kind of puzzle you're "trained" to solve. I'm an engineer so maybe that's why I succeed better at "logical" puzzles like those found in Still Life, Myst, Aura etc. However games like Feeble Files, Discworld, Monkey Island etc. are far more challenging to me.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 AM   #11
Chris Barraclough

I just got the Complete Myst collection from Game for £20 about a fortnight ago, never played them before so thought I'd try them. I'm on 3 at the moment. I thought the first game was surprisingly easy, I only needed 1 or 2 hints from uhs to complete it, but Riven had me consulting about 5 different walkthroughs. Some of the puzzles were ridiculous!

Three is a lot better, similar to the first one. Does anyone else find the plant age a complete pain in the arse to navigate around though? I just got up to it, trapped some annoying cute little creature thing in a trap, bwahahahaha!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 AM   #12
The Jay Man's Daddio

I hate Riven so much.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:36 AM   #13
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Funny how some people only start bashing a game when someone else has just cast the first stone, no?

I'm sorry you can't appreciate Riven, though.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:36 AM   #14

People have bashed Riven for years MoriartyL. In any case I thought Riven was OK, but the graphics were a bit all over the place and I didn't like the endless corridors. I wanted to get further but the disc swapping angered me somewhat, especially as it crashed half the time during the swap. I know there is a way to play without swapping but I'm not going to donate the time to figure out why.

The first Myst is one of those games I think you have to have been there when it was first released to truely appreciate. I only got to play it the first time about 3-4 years ago and it was ok, but even then too dated. I wanted it for years on the Mega CD and Saturn but never got round to it. I completed it, but won't be going through it again. Surpassed in story, level design and puzzles.

I've not played much of Exile as I've just not had the energy for some reason, although the FMV sequences with other characters are a joy to watch.

Revelations is a classic. I won't say any more.

Number 5 - can't be arsed after the terrible graphics, and has one of the worst character designs I've ever seen. I don't consider it a Myst game, more like Uru.

It's still worth the cash if you've never played before.... I'm sure I created a thread like this a while back...
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
People have bashed Riven for years MoriartyL. In any case I thought Riven was OK, but the graphics were a bit all over the place and I didn't like the endless corridors. I wanted to get further but the disc swapping angered me somewhat, especially as it crashed half the time during the swap. I know there is a way to play without swapping but I'm not going to donate the time to figure out why.
Like buying the DVD, you mean?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #16
Chris Barraclough

Is there a DVD version of it? The pack I got has DVD versions of 3, 4 and 5, but Riven came on 5 CD's. And I agree, it's a total pain in the arse to keep changing them, especially when you're wandering around for ages without a clue about what to do.

Almost at the end of Exile, can't wait to start Revelations, heard loads of good stuff about it. Will be good to see the two psycho brothers again too

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-31-2006, 09:42 AM   #17

The 10th Anniversary DVD Edition cost me only $20 and includes Myst, Exile and Riven. Riven is on one disc and very convenient. I was able to apply my old files to these. Sometimes I visit my favorite Riven sites and people such as Catherine, just before I've released her from prison. Her beautiful fluid face and "you did it!" comment is strangely inspiring.

No one over or under acted in Riven. Although Revelation is an excellent game with amazing moments anyone would enjoy, some scenes were over played, in my opinion.

I didn't like what became of Atrus and Catherine in later games. They turned into an ordinary bickering couple and lost much of their mystic charms, sense of adventure and power.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 12-31-2006 at 09:58 AM.