You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #1

Default Atlantis games

I've played one Atlantis game. It was called Atlantis 3 here in the UK, I remember buying it for ÂŁ4.99 brand new in HMV a few years back and liking it quite considerably (BTW I'm aware that the game was called Beyond Atlantis/ Atlantis 2 in some places).
For those who still don't know which one I'm on about, it stared a female Russia archiologist who breaks into a camp and accidently goes into another world.

In any case my question is, does anyone know of where I can get hold of this for the UK?

Does the games(s) have an official website that works?

What are the other games and what are they all like (opinions, I've read reviews) and how are any of them like the one I've played (I know Atlantis Evolution is supposed to be rubbish).

What links the games?

What's the latest one in production got anything to do with the others? The one I played was a scifi fantasy, this one looks like being on a boat through the whole time.

Finally, if you have any comments about any of them, please put them here. We've had so many threads of the Myst, MI, Broken Sword and other game franchises but next to nothing on these games. It would be nice to talk about these and possibly develop the fascination for some of us to try them out.

Cool Guys ^^

Terramax
Old 11-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
The Ultimate Insult

I have no idea, my name is inspired by Indy. lol

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 11-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Beyond Atlantis, or Atlantis II is considered to be the best. It was the first adv game I played, and I loved it. It has the best cut scene in any adv game ever, in the Ireland section.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #4

Well....youre kinda overestimating the cutscenes...personally i loved the game (atlantis 2) but not for its cutscenes. (if i remember correctly). It has great music and challenging riddles. From the 4 games of the series the first 2 games are the best. Atlantis 1 to me feels nostalgic. Here in Greece when it came out (atlantis 1 of course) it was considered a trademark in first person adventures. It has great graphics for its time (i still remember my visual surprise playing it in my pentiium1 100Mhz at the age of.....ermm....tis was a long long time ago), good story but frastrating timed sequences (very frastrating at some point).
Old 11-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
It has the best cut scene in any adv game ever, in the Ireland section.
..... no, that was Broken Sword...

that was a joke btw
Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Master of time and space

I'm always confused by the Atlantis games since they come in different names. There evolution, thorgals quest etc.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:57 AM   #7

Never heard of Thorgals quest, which one's that?

While on the subject of these games, I was seriously hacked off with these reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acclaim-3554...8&s=videogames

A guy compares it to Tomb Raider! Fair enough, the game is slow because that is the nature of the type of game, and the story isn't Final Fantasy, but the sheer ignorance of gamers who can't take having to think.

Some reviewers on Amazon are a joke.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

I actually own the game Atlantis The Lost Tales but I can't finish it. When I switch to the second CD it's impossible to continue. Really annoying since it's a legit copy and I actually enjoyed the gameplay even though I've died a thousand times when being chased up a stairs among other places.
I've seen an explanation somewhere on the internet on how to pass this bug or whatever it is. But it's just way too complicated for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Never heard of Thorgals quest, which one's that?
Nevermind, I mixed it up with Odin's Curse for some reason...

*edit*
Seem like I didn't mix it up after all... Curse of Atlantis: Thorgals Quest

Last edited by MdaG; 11-26-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #10
Dungeon Master

Atlantis - The Lost Tales shows many symptoms of Cryo's following fall from grace, but in itself is a nice little game, worth playing. If you can deal with the timed sequences, I honestly recommend it.

Atlantis 2 (aka Beyond Atlantis) sure is purty, but the plot doesn't make any sense, and neither do most of the puzzles. Why so many people hold it in such high regard, is beyond me.

I didn't bother with Atlantis 3 (aka Beyond Atlantis 2) and Atlantis Evolution, due to the reviews they've got. And for those who don't know, there is also a fifth game in the making.

And no, the (horrible, horrible) Thorgal game has nothing to do with the series. Come to think of it, it has nothing to do with Atlantis, either. Here's a fitting title for you.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:21 AM   #11

In my opinion the oficial Atlantis series are:
1. Atlantis: The Lost Tales - Cryo, 1997,
2. Atlantis II - Cryo, 1999,
3. Atlantis III: The New World - Cryo, 2001,
4. Atlantis Evolution, The Adventure Company, 2004.
5. Secrets of Atlantis, The, Nobilis 2006.
THE ANOTHER ATLANTIS GAMES 4 exemple thorgal ARE CLONES
Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 AM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hern View Post
THE ANOTHER ATLANTIS GAMES 4 exemple thorgal ARE CLONES
How could Thorgal be a clone if (except for the title, and only the one it had in the US) it doesn't resemble the Atlantis series in the slightest?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
And for those who don't know, there is also a fifth game in the making.
It's already out, actually (in France, at least).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
It's already out, actually (in France, at least).

That's what he said. Currently beta testing in France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
And no, the (horrible, horrible) Thorgal game has nothing to do with the series. Come to think of it, it has nothing to do with Atlantis, either.
Of course, none of the games have anything to do with each other, either. And I believe only Evolution has anything to do with Atlantis. (Though the others do play similarly, unlike Thorgal).
Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Of course, none of the games have anything to do with each other, either. And I believe only Evolution has anything to do with Atlantis. (Though the others do play similarly, unlike Thorgal).
Atlantis is the main setting of The Lost Tales, and almost all characters are Atlantean.

About the similarities, well they do play (and look) similarly, for one. For two, Atlantis 2 borrows one character and the flying boats from the predecessor. Not much, but given how flimsy the sequel's plot is internally, this reference is actually pretty solid in comparison. (I believe the third one has the flying boats as well. Evolution does seem tacked on, though.) For three, Thorgal's setting is the one of popular graphic novels, so it has as serious claims to be a part of Atlantis franchise as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Atlantis is the main setting of The Lost Tales, and almost all characters are Atlantean.
Right. What I meant was that none of the others followed on the setting of the original. I was treating the first as a given, but that wasn't clear in what I said.

Quote:
About the similarities, well they do play (and look) similarly, for one. For two, Atlantis 2 borrows one character and the flying boats from the predecessor. Not much, but given how flimsy the sequel's plot is internally, this reference is actually pretty solid in comparison. (I believe the third one has the flying boats as well. Evolution does seem tacked on, though.) For three, Thorgal's setting is the one of popular graphic novels, so it has as serious claims to be a part of Atlantis franchise as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Yes, there are small commonalities, but far less than one would expect in a "series". I wasn't disputing that Thorgal is more different. The Atlantis name was just blatantly slapped onto that one with no justification at all. But I think it's important for people to know that the other games have nothing REALLY to do with each other.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #17

I've ordered a copy of Atlantis 3. I'mma give it another go. I remember getting killed by a tiger and giving up. I'm going to beat him this time though...