You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamweb *spoilers*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #1

Default Dreamweb *spoilers*

So, anyone remember this well? I've played through it several times, and I love it every time. It's very short, so it's completable in one go. But I completely fell in love with this game the very first time I played it on the Amiga, and probably one of the very few Amiga games I bought (shame on me).

What I wanted to discuss, or ask, is what do you peole make of the story? For some reason, something tells me the supernatural stuff only happens in his mind, and that he actually is insane. The diary that comes with the game points to this, very clearly. Like other insane serial killers, he sees himself as the chosen one, hear voices telling him to kill, have nightmares. He is supposedly the good guy. But what if this was just some ingenious way to tell a story. That you actually saw everything from the eyes of this insane serial killer, and that all you see is in his own imagination? Everything seemed to work out so perfectly, you're given the impression that he's a saviour. Also, I know the movie Seven came out later, but notice the number. Seven deadly sins. Maybe the seven deadly sins can be assigned to every one of his victim? Heck, he basically commited suicide by letting the cops kill him in the ending scene. He was asked to give up his gun, and even though he had none, he made them believe that he was a risk and started walking towards them. Even with a dozen cops aiming directly at him with their guns, telling him to surrender. Did he do this on purpose? I guess it could be just because he didn't have much to live for. He'd be tried for at least 5 murders, and probably found guilty of all of them. He'd face a life sentence times five.

So, what do you think? Something about this game and story that fascinates me, more than most of the other games.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Master of time and space

It's a great game in my opinion. Rarely have I experienced such atmosphere in an adventure. Too bad there were never any sequels. I've never thought about him being insane, I just assumed it was a twisted kind of story.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #3

Actually I dont think it was like you sad... Its been a while since i played it for the last time but if i remember right, even his "victims" were talking about the Dreamweb and that kinda stuff before he killed them. Well it couldve been part of his illusion too, but i dont think the story was meant to be like this.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I loved this game! It's on number 7 in my top 10

Yes, I think that Ryan is hearing voices in his head and that he really thought he was doing the right thing. I loved playing the character and taking out all those celebrities and other high profile members of society. In addition, the voice over was really depressing (suits Ryan perfectly) and with the great soundtrack helped to create an amazing atmosphere.

I think the story was very twisted indeed but still I think he was hearing voices like a mad man. Hey, that's also the name of the Diary!

Too bad there aren't more adventure games with a twisted ending like that of The Dreamweb...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
Actually I dont think it was like you sad... Its been a while since i played it for the last time but if i remember right, even his "victims" were talking about the Dreamweb and that kinda stuff before he killed them. Well it couldve been part of his illusion too, but i dont think the story was meant to be like this.
Yeah, It's not a waterproof theory. But then again, insane people hear what they want to hear, so in reality, if he was in such a delusion, the victims may have talked about stuff completely different from what he percieves.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #6

You are right about that, it might be...
And you know what? Im gonna play it right now, you made me curious
Old 11-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Under pressure.

Loved the atmosphere, but hated the fact that you could literally pick up EVERYTHING, and that your inventory space was limited. You never really knew if you had to take something with you.

--Erwin
Old 11-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

UGH! SUCH A KILLER GAME! If you search through the threads from way back years ago I used to gush about this game every day. LOL. DreamWeb was SO damn cool. I must have beat it in just a few hours because I remember a night of INTENSE playing. It was an amazing and unique adventure game experience. What stood out about this game was the complete total immersion and atmosphere even though it had very pixelated small graphics. I also remember the sound being quite good too. I should replay it!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Master of time and space

I think there are too few games with a more mature theme like Dreamweb.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Loved the atmosphere, but hated the fact that you could literally pick up EVERYTHING, and that your inventory space was limited. You never really knew if you had to take something with you.
Yeah. I remember when I first played "Dreamweb". I went through nearly the whole game with a pickle in my inventory because... well, I don't know why. I just thought that since it was something that I could pick up, then I might need it later on.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Under pressure.

A pickle, huh? Maybe your character was pregnant.

--Erwin
Old 11-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
A pickle, huh? Maybe your character was pregnant.
Who, Ryan? Wow. That must have been the "dream" part of "Dreamweb"

I liked the freedom to pick up and go through anything for my inventory, though. Pretty soon, I even had Ryan using stuff that I thought would fit for a guy in his position, like having him light up a cigarette to steady his nerves after his first kill, or making sure he kept some reminder of Eden with him at all times.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Heh, when I first saw this thread I thought for a second that it must be about the rumored online sequel to Dreamfall.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
gaybrush threepwoody

Here's a treat for you all! From the eriq graphic adventure vault... I found this review from CGR! They loved the game too! As I mentioned, this game just drips with atmosphere. There's something very cool about this game that I've never felt with any other adventure. It's very cinematic... something about the music and graphics...

Last edited by eriq; 11-19-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
Biomechanoid

Btw, if anybody wants to have the Dreamweb Soundtrack, send me an email! I ripped the soundtrack a while ago
Old 11-20-2006, 04:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Btw, if anybody wants to have the Dreamweb Soundtrack, send me an email! I ripped the soundtrack a while ago
There was a soundtrack? :O

I remember that the game came with one music track included, but I didn't think there was an entire soundtrack for it.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #17
Master of time and space

If there is a soundtrack I want it
Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #18
Biomechanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizu View Post
There was a soundtrack? :O

I remember that the game came with one music track included, but I didn't think there was an entire soundtrack for it.
You're right! There was no soundtrack! So... I decided to create my own soundtrack. I converted the .raw files on the game cd to wav files and editted the files in Creative Labs Wave Studio. After I was satisfied I converted the files to mp3. Unfortunately, the bitrate of the source files wasn't very high but the tracks sound ok!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #19

Actually, there is a soundtrack...

Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #20
gaybrush threepwoody

OMG soundtrack please!!