You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Thoughts on Fahrenheit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #1

Default Thoughts on Fahrenheit

I'm currently playing Fahrenheit (when the kids are in bed). I wasn't too fussed on the game at first, but the plot has got me now. I'm not too sure about the 'simon says' style 'action sequences' though. They are pretty boring and tedious. I also don't really like the way the game gives you a time limit to choose options during conversations

I get the feeling that some of the nudity in the game is a tad unnecessary. Almost as if it was added to give it a more mature image ("You see, this isn't just a game, it's for mature people because there's tits in it and they say the 'F' word"). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to view nudity in games, if it's there for a reason.

The one scene I found ludicrous was
Spoiler:
the sex scene between Carla and Luca. I mean, the girl has just met him, she thinks he's the murderer, she follows him into an abandoned subway filled with tramps and then strips off and is bouncing away with all those blokes right outside with the door wide open???

Other than that, I find the characters expressions pretty convincing and it makes them more interesting to watch. Even if the characters themselves are sometimes pretty unbelievable.

All in all, I'm enjoying the experience. I would prefer a bit more puzzles and I think they should ditch the whole simon says sequences. I'm looking forward to seeing 'Hard Rain' though.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:13 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

there's a sex sequence??

I'm currently playing at the part where
Spoiler:
you as a kid have to sneak to the hanger. The second one, where you first get out of bed and wake your brother up.
the story's great and really got me. the controls however suck ass.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 09-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #3

I was really amazed with Farenheit at first, but by the time I finished it I was very disappointed:

a) at the beginning, I had the feeling like every option is open to me - like I could play this game a 100 times and it would be different each time. About mid-way through the game, it becomes apparent what a cheap trick this is.

b) the game is VERY easy. This is okay - I don't mind puzzle-less adventures as long as they immerse you in the story - but the action sequences (call them Simon Says or whatever) are very annoying and they pretty much compose 90% of the gameplay. They also distracted me a lot from what was going on in the game:

Spoiler:
especially in the scene where he gets chased in the office by huge spiders - I think this scene may look great, but i was just so focused on the simon says part of the screen that I just couldn't see anything that was happening

c) the plot seems interesting at first, but becomes pretty dull very quickly.

That's it. The game does look great. I hope they put the same graphics team on a better game next time.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #4

So far there's been about four nude scenes, two of which are full frontal. This all depends on whether you're playing the US or Euro version I suppose.
I'm fine with it, it's just that one scene was like 'Woah! What's the crazy biatch doing!?!'. Seems like the writers were desperate to get her kit off.

I find it odd that US cesnorship have an issue with a bit of nudity, but are fine with the excessive violence and gore in the game.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #5

Matan, I had the same issue. For a game which strives to achieve quality live cinematic sequences, I hardly knew what was happened during the action scenes.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:15 AM   #6

The ending is crazy and not in a good way but still fantastic for the first 2/3.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:45 AM   #7

If got the euro version. does this game have multiple paths? or should i just finaly finish the game?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

There are I think four different endings, but they result from the same point very close to the end of the game. So yes, just go ahead and finish it. There aren't drastic differences in the ending no matter what you do earlier on.

As for the sex - I thought the scene mentioned above was way out of character for both of them. (I was not a big fan of the last 1/3 of this game - everything after the amusement park just didn't work for me.) I also thought the interactive sex in the European version was unnecessary, and I'm glad it was taken out of the US release. I don't mind sex or nudity in games if it has a purpose, but that just felt beyond gratuitious to me. In the US version it cuts in a way that tells you exactly what happened, without forcing the player to "perform", so to speak.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Lost monkey

I enjoyed a lot of it, the open ended feeling it gives and the enthralling story.
Spoiler:
As soon as he dies the game just collapses on itself and shows just how badly you can end a game - it is my number one for worst ending; most laugh out loud moments in a supposedly serious story and worst plot resolution in any medium ever.

The entire sequence with Neo (sorry, Luca) and Agent Smith (sorry) including the RUNNING ACROSS A BUILDING SIDEWAYS, was hard not because it requires so much button mashing to watch a movie, but because I was crying with laughter so much tears were blurring my vision.

If first impressions count for anything, then so does the lasting impression any story gives. This gave me the lasting impression that I never EVER wanted to play the game again, I felt absolutely cheated by an idiot of a story teller.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 09-18-2006 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 AM   #10

Just finished the 'game' last night. Overall I like it. It does make Dreamfall look like an intricate puzzle-fest though. The ending wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.

There's an interesting post-mortem on gamasutra if anybody hasn't read it:
http://gamasutra.com/features/20060620/cage_01.shtml

One of the things he states as going wrong is pretty much exactly what Jobabob said regarding the ending and lasting impressions.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
Lost monkey

Sorry about not including spoiler tags, i'm new :O
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 AM   #12

Quote:
the plot seems interesting at first, but becomes pretty dull very quickly
Yeah I agree, absolutely dull
Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #13

Is the sex after the matrix scene? They BTW should have put atleast two more safepoints in there.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Lost monkey

they shouldve put a 'do you wish the end the game now or be even more massively dissapointed'
Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Cookiemonster
Is the sex after the matrix scene?
I think so, not long after it. I've heard people say it was interactive in the Euro version, but it wasn't on mine.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Yeah, only the first of the scenes is interactive.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #17

the first of the scenes? I just finished fahrenheit and I found the ending to be just as bad as the ending of The Angel Of Death. maybe a little bit better. The story starts out really intresting but as soon as the supernatural stuf happens it becomes pretty lame. Who were those guys with the guns in the sewers? how did they know about all this. And what's with the AI creatures.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #18
Slim Shady

Fahrenheit is full of cliche movie elements and such though it succeeds in tricking the player at the beginning but at the end it's all so obvious.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #19
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Yeah, only the first of the scenes is interactive.
What is the first scene?

The only one I ever got to witness was the one in the train carriage.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

When your ex Tiffany comes to visit, you can woo her into sleeping with you with some booze and guitar skills