You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Salammbo, what is the original language of the game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #1

Default Salammbo, what is the original language of the game?

It's french isn't it?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #2

Read the review.

Spoiler:
Yes, it is, but the English version is good too. And my version has texts and voices in both English and French on the discs.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Read the review.

Spoiler:
Yes, it is, but the English version is good too. And my version has texts and voices in both English and French on the discs.
But I don't want to spoil myself! I am planning on buying the game lol
Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #4

I downloaded the multilenguage demo and tried both french and english demo, I just couldn't find out to wich language were the lips synchronized to...
Old 08-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Read the review.

Spoiler:
Nevermind I read your spoiler, which version do you have? Is it the Thorgal+Salammbô pack?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma
I downloaded the multilenguage demo and tried both french and english demo, I just couldn't find out to wich language were the lips synchronized to...
Both, I think.

When I reviewed the game, it kept crashing and I had to apply a preliminary patch that completely disabled lip-syncing; but when I replayed it a couple of years later, with a better patch, it now worked great (in French), and I think I remember trying the English version too and seeing that the lip-sync also worked for it.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma
Nevermind I read your spoiler, which version do you have? Is it the Thorgal+Salammbô pack?
No idea. It was a review copy Marek got God knows where. The box and manual are in French (so it's probably the standard French version, published by TAC), but, during the install, you can choose between French and English (and you have to re-install or tweak the config files by hand if you want to change the language afterwards).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Both, I think.

When I reviewed the game, it kept crashing and I had to apply a preliminary patch that completely disabled lip-syncing; but when I replayed it a couple of years later, with a better patch, it now worked great (in French), and I think I remember trying the English version too and seeing that the lip-sync also worked for it.

EDIT:

No idea. It was a review copy Marek got God knows where. The box and manual are in French, but, during the install, you can choose between French and English (and you have to re-install or tweak the config files by hand to change the language afterwards).
Thanks for the info, 1 last question what was the release date of the game in France and the US? Was the game (in France) first published by Cryo then published by The Adventure Company?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 AM   #8

Once again, see the review. I think Cryo had already been swallowed by TAC/Dreamcatcher at the time. As for the release date, I'm not sure. I think the review was just in time for the US release (see the date there), but the game might have been released earlier in France*; truth be told, Cryo was only making horrendous games at the time, so I wasn't following them, and I'd never heard of that game before I was asked to review it (and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with it; it's much better than what Cryo was usually making at the time**).

* Mobygames says Nov 2002; still, when I reviewed it in April 2003, it still had that nasty crash, and I had to wait a week for a patch, so I'm kinda doubtful about that date.
** Then again, quite a few of the Salammbô designers moved to Kheops afterwards, so they were probably the good ones at Cryo.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with it; it's much better than what Cryo was usually making at the time**).
Yes I was gonna say, the game is totally different compared to what Cryo usually makes (used to make), especially graphic wise.

Merci pour tous