You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Sam and Max Screenshots on AG Main Page

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default New Sam and Max Screenshots on AG Main Page

Looking good! I love the little "Men/Women/Max" pictorial sign on the bathroom door in one shot.

Although I'm slightly disappointed that the Diner to the right of Bosco's no longer boasts the sign "Really Bad Food."
Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Grah! Grah!

I love these new ones - seems 1UP choice the three weakest ones to post. The street scenes look great; there's sort of a dog day afternoon feeling. I wasn't sure that they'd manage to remain so colourful while getting sufficiently seedy, but they seem to have accomplished it quite well. The yellow sky really suits it too. I can't wait to see what this place looks like at night.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Club a seal or two

I'm wee bit disappointed because the game world feels... kinda empty. I always say if you don't have enough stuff to fill your world with, make your world a bit smaller.
Or maybe it won't look empty once it's populated with characters.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

No shadows for the characters?

Firefox rules
Old 07-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Is that really all you guys do when screenshots come out? Find everything wrong with them? For crying out loud, I think they look awesome! True style.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
No shadows for the characters?
Well, there are clearly shadows from Sam & Max in the shots where you see them. These are only renders though, so the lack or presence of shadows isn't really conclusive either way. I remember just after The Great Cow Race was released Telltale said they were working on incorporating real time shadows into their engine, so that's a positive sign at least.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Club a seal or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Is that really all you guys do when screenshots come out? Find everything wrong with them? For crying out loud, I think they look awesome! True style.
Oh I'm sure I'll buy it, play it, love it, and marry it.
In the meanwhile, why focus on positives when negatives are so much more interesting?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #8

Like Junkface says, these are not screenshots from the game engine, but are development renders.

I love em, especially the style of the city and the funky yellow sky.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #9

It all looks rather nice, just hope it's a bit longer than Bone was...

And S&M....Did they get the same voice actors from the previous game?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBob

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/faq

That may answer some of your questions.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBob

I doubt the episodes will be longer than Cow Race (probably longer than Out from Boneville though), but they'll be cheaper and a lot more frequent (one new episode a month).

And no, they tried, but couldn't get the same voice actors from Hit The Road.

Edit: Or, uhh, read the FAQ.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I finally got Hit the Road. I know, I have catching up to do.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

To answer a few of the questions raised here --

These are not in-game screenshots, but renders made outside of the game engine. Subsequently, you're seeing some things that you'll never see in the game (i.e. a street that's completely devoid of characters). Telltale will let you know when the first in-game screenshots are released. Until then, accept these for what they are - renders of the characters and locations that represent the game(s), but are not necessarily from the game(s).

Also - 1Up posted the ones that had been provided to them. I wouldn't say they're the weakest, they just show off different things. Those renders focused on characters in environments, rather than on environments by themselves (which is what the brand new renders focus on).

Steve himself decided on the yellow sky. Before that, in the earlier versions, the sky was blue (as shown in a few shots from the CGW article). I think the yellow sky gives the street a sort of hot August day feeling.

As for Sybil... I really like her. I find her to be an appealing and strangely innocent character.

Also: I just had a long conversation with Steve Purcell about the Great Ball of Twine over drinks. How weird is that?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Also: I just had a long conversation with Steve Purcell about the Great Ball of Twine over drinks. How weird is that?
You say weird, I say awesome!

I do hope we see some exotic / odd locations in some of the new cases. The general bizzareness of Hit the Road was one of its most appealing aspects to me.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

How fabulous are these renders? They are just FAAAAAABULOUS. Great work Telltale! I smell adventure!

a big-ass pink FABULOSO for Sam'n'Max well done!!

Finally some screen worthy of the classic graphic adventure seal of approval. Love love love them!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 AM   #16

LOL , did you guys catch this one ? look at the office screenshots and there's a box on the top right corner. Look at the date! That was the worst day of my life. Good to see that they're using good ol' satire.

And what happened to Snuckey's ? Did they change the name to Stinky's because Lucas owned it? Wasn't Snuckey's already in the comics and not the idea of Lucas?

-- 5abanja out.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 AM   #17
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Really nice, just how a 3D Sam & Max world should look I think. The level of detail is what impresses me most about these shots, you can sit for ages just trying to pick out all the little gags.

Given what we've heard about the playing time, I wouldn't be surprised if these are all the locations that will appear in the first episode, if thats the case though I certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #18
OB

Quote:
I'm wee bit disappointed because the game world feels... kinda empty.
It's the exact opposite. These are some of the most alive and fully realized realtime 3D shots I've ever seen. There's detail everywhere.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #19
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Just out of interest, did any of you guys set a new Desktop background today?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 AM   #20
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5abanja
And what happened to Snuckey's ? Did they change the name to Stinky's because Lucas owned it? Wasn't Snuckey's already in the comics and not the idea of Lucas?
Snuckey's is not real. In the comics it was called Stuckey's, which is a real gas-station chain in America. Apparently they changed the name in Hit the Road to avoid a potential lawsuit.

Since the name "Snuckey's" is unique to the first Sam and Max game, I don't think Telltale could use it without infringing on LucasArts' copyrights.