You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games without ANY combat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Adventure games without ANY combat

Hi there

I'm new to this forum and am jumping into it by asking a question: what adventure games can you recommend that have absolutely no fighting scenes in them? I haven't bought Dreamfall, I loved the Longest Journey but was SO disappointed to see that they introduced combat scenes in it

I have played:
Monkey Island games
Gabriel Knight games
King's Quest games (with the exception of VIII, also because of combat) plus the remakes
Police Quest games
Space Quest games
Leisure Suit Larry games
Black Mirror
Syberia I and II
Runaway
CSI games
Morpheus
Nibiru
DOTT
Sam and Max Hit the Road
The Moment of Silence (didn't finish, bad game)
3 x CSI games
Jack the Ripper
In Memoriam
Myst (not my style)
Amerzone
Grim Fandango
Sherlock Holmes: The case of the silver earring

And I just bought Paradise but have given up because of so many bugs!!

SO: what's missing? I need a game to play and I was waiting for Dreamfall to be my next fun game, but gah...... Anyone have any suggestions for a fantastic, fun adventure game without any combat, just good ol' fashioned point-n-click and talk-to-a-bunch-of-strangers game?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
tsa
Playing character

Default Carol Reed

Tex Murphy, hehe... But seriously, maybe you should take a look at the two Carol Reed mysteries that are available here.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Welcome to AG! I'm with you on the no combat. And don't let anyone tell you that there's hardly any in Dreamfall and you can get by without it. They lie. Oh you can bypass some of the fighting, but they make it so hard to do, you wind up struggling through the fighting if you can do it. The controls are awful - I was very disappointed with it, and only got to chapter 3.

Did you patch Paradise? There is a patch for the US version, to fix many of the bugs. If you want it, PM me with your email address, and I'll send it to you. I haven't started it yet.

As far as games you might like - you might want to try the Al Emmo demo - you can download it here. It's coming out soon.

For games - some older ones - Obsidian, an older and hard to find, but very unique game.
Faust - if you liked Morpheus, with going back in time to look over peoples lives, Faust (or 7 Games of the Soul) does it even better and it has an excellent soundtrack.

Another newer one, which I'm playing now, is Keepsake. 3rd person game with few people to interact with, but you do get a sidekick. The graphics are drop-dead gorgeous, although the characters are not as well rendered as the backgrounds. Poignant story.

FGM
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Grah! Grah!

Difficult for me to remember; it seems such a strange distinction to make (particularly seeing as some of the games on your list contain action sequences if not specifically "combat".) The Great Cow Race and Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars definitely don't have any. I don't think The Hand of Fate, The Adventures of Willy Beamish or The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel do either. All my suggestions are of the "talk-to-a-bunch-of-strangers" variety, though those last three may be difficult to get a hold of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
Tex Murphy, hehe... But seriously, maybe you should take a look at the two Carol Reed mysteries that are available here.
The Carol Reed games annoy me for the fact that when I first heard of them I thought someone had made a game about Carol Reed.

Last edited by Junkface; 07-11-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
The Carol Reed games annoy me for the fact that when I first heard of them I thought someone had made a game about Carol Reed.
Tsa googles for Carol Reed...

OK, he was a movie star. But there is no connection to the games at all, so why can't you enjoy them? I mean, there are more people in the world who share the same name.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #6

Agatha Christie And There Were None wasnt great game, i dont think even its good game. When I completed it it wasnt bad experiece and either good, just neutral. But now when I think about playing this game, i got such urge to play it again,and im so looking forward for Orient Express, dont know whats about this. But if you havent play AC:and there were none, maybe you should try? But yeah, this isnt the best game.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Thanks so much for your suggestions so far ... I had a quick look at the Carol Reed game, and I don't think they're my style... I'm not a big fan of using "real people" in games, although in CSI it works... but thanks anyway.

I didn't know there was a patch to Paradise!! I will PM you right away, that would be fantastic...as the scenery is absolutely beautiful, I love Benoit Sokals games, but was getting very frustrated with the bugs.

Broken Sword sounds fun (I love any reference to the templars, they're fascinating). I also might try Faust and Keepsake, if I can hunt them down.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Try the Broken Sword games. Especially The Shadow Of The Templars! Best adventure i ever played
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
Tsa googles for Carol Reed...

OK, he was a movie star.
A director, to be exact. The Third Man, especially, has a well-deserved status of an all-time classic.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:03 AM   #10

Maybe you can try the following games:

Schizm and Schizm II: The Mysterious Journey
Aura: Fate of Ages
Sentinel: Descendents in Time
Reah: Face the Unknown
Echo: Secret of the Lost Cavern
Barrow Hill
The Longest Journey
Law & Order: Justice is Served
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Ankh
The Nancy Drew Series
Torin's Passage
Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #11
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
For games - some older ones - Obsidian, an older and hard to find, but very unique game.
It pains me to point this out, but Obsidian did have a couple of arcade action sequences. I'm not sure if they would be considered "combat," but they certainly fouled up an otherwise perfect adventure gaming experience.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #12
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
It pains me to point this out, but Obsidian did have a couple of arcade action sequences. I'm not sure if they would be considered "combat," but they certainly fouled up an otherwise perfect adventure gaming experience.
Yes, but they weren't too bad, and they weren't combat. All the ND games have arcade sequences as well as many others mentioned. The main difference for me between arcade sequences, which I'm not too fond of, and combat is that, with combat, someone or something is fighting you back, where in arcade sequences, you just win or lose, you don't get killed.

M
Old 07-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #13

Since the poster said Myst was not his style I'd suggest he skips the Schizm games, Aura, Sentinel and Reah.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Fouled up...? Arcade action sequences...?
Pffff... total bullshit.
I bet you call that lovely puzzle with the entry cards a maze.

Obsidian has one sound puzzle (the wave).

Then there's the lightning tree. Requires finetuning and some eye-hand coordination, yes. But you have *all the time in the world* to adjust the branches to make the lightning strike.

Then there's the last puzzle. I would NEVER call that arcade or action. It's more like an exercise in unfocussing. I'm one of the very few people who had no problem with it. I even repeated it for fun. But... you can solve it with a trick. Or with the help of someone else (each watches half of the puzzle).
Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMulder
Since the poster said Myst was not his style I'd suggest he skips the Schizm games, Aura, Sentinel and Reah.

And Barrow Hill too. Great game though.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Pffff... total bullshit.
Phew... I was starting to wonder if I had played the same game as everybody else, or if I had missed a part of the gameplay. Thanks for clearing that up, Fienepien.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 07-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #17
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Pffff... total bullshit.
I bet you call that lovely puzzle with the entry cards a maze.
Yep. It's a logic maze, and a bloody good one. The mazes I don't like are the ones that require a simple, boring search algorithm.

The two arcade action sequences (which are sequences requiring hand-eye coordination) are:

Spoiler:
1. The tornado puzzle. Even after setting up the air vents properly, it requires hand-eye coordination to aim and shoot the cannon successfully. Took me about 10 attempts. Annoying.

2. The lightning tree. As you already explained, it takes hand-eye coordination and timing. Therefore, it is an arcade action sequence. The fact that it's easy and leisurely does not make it any less annoying for an intellectual purist like me.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
Senior *female* member

Quote:
The two arcade action sequences (which are sequences requiring hand-eye coordination) are:

Spoiler:
1. The tornado puzzle. Even after setting up the air vents properly, it requires hand-eye coordination to aim and shoot the cannon successfully. Took me about 10 attempts. Annoying.

2. The lightning tree. As you already explained, it takes hand-eye coordination and timing. Therefore, it is an arcade action sequence. The fact that it's easy and leisurely does not make it any less annoying for an intellectual purist like me.
An "intellectual purist" like you solves the tornado puzzle in only 10 (ten!) attempts and thinks he has reason to complain about arcade sequences...
How many attempts before you solved the Church puzzle? No, don't answer that one, it was a retorical question.

The one puzzle I really didn't like in Obsidian was the slider. Sliders are bad. Out with sliders. No more sliders please.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #19
Magic Wand Waver

I really have to replay Obsidian, I loved that game - my all-time favorite.

Did you mean that puzzle on the post in the desert area? That one I couldn't do without help - normal sliders I can do, though.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #20

I don't se the Broken Sword games on the list.

Broken Sword 1 - Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon

I just loved 1 and 2.

I don't remember any fighting. Although BS3 had some lame atempts on someting.

There are some places where you can die, so remember to save often if you deside to try them.