You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Biggest adventure disappointment

View Poll Results: What's the biggest adventure disappointment
King Quest 8 13 8.28%
Broken Sword 3 9 5.73%
Gabriel Knight 3 2 1.27%
Simon the Sorcerer 3D 7 4.46%
Monkey Island 4 18 11.46%
Dreamfall 16 10.19%
Cancelling Sam & Max 2 44 28.03%
Cancelling Full Throttle 2 12 7.64%
Indiana Jones going the action-adventure route 13 8.28%
Other (please specify in the comments) 23 14.65%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 02:45 AM   #1

Default Biggest adventure disappointment

Last try, if it doesn't work right this time I'll give up, promise.

Disclaimer: just because it's in the poll doesn't mean that everyone has to think it's a dissapointment. I loved Broken Sword 3 a lot, but I know that lots of folk don't, so I've included it.

EDIT: Thanks to the mod who removed all the duplicates!

Last edited by EvilMulder; 07-11-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #2

Hey, it works!

I'm tempted to say Dreamfall, not because it was particularly bad, but because I found it to be such an underwhelming and, well, forgettable experience, especially after all the hype that had been surrounding it for years. But maybe it's just too fresh in my mind, so I'll just play safe and say MI4, because when a parody starts parodying itself, then it means it's really time for it to stop.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

i wasnt "in to" adventure games then they canceled sam n´ max but then i played the first one through, and looked if there where any sort of secual, i was disepointed to see that it was canceled... but now im happy

EDIT: hehe... i sound like a six-year old that cant spell
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Out of the given options I would have to say the Sam & Max cancelation, although I would extend upon that by saying Lucasarts in general (from 2000 onwards).

To extend even further I might even say the Adventure Games industry in general (from 2000 onwards) because I've not actually played an adventure game in that time that I would consider to truly great.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #5

I chose 'other' because of two games:

1) cancelling Space Quest 7 - which I really looked forward to

2) Quest for Glory 5 - I waited for this game for a very long time since Quest for Glory 4 is one of my favorite adventure games ever. It was a major dissapointment when it came out as a plotless action-RPG game.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 AM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

My biggest disappointment was Discworld 2. Not beacuse it's a bad game, which it isn't, but I loved the previous game (it's still one of my favourites) and DW2 isn't much more than an ok game IMHO. It has its moments, but it copies too many scenes straight from movies, I preferred the art style of DW1 and the That's Death song was great in the beginning but was way too overused - by the end of the game I was really tired of the song.

And the final drop was a bug that made it unwinnable until I installed the patch. Before that point, I trusted games to be solvable if I just kept trying (I spent unbeleivable amounts of time on DW1) but when I found out that what I had to do was simply to talk to a character that didn't exist in my game due to a bug...! Grr.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
1) cancelling Space Quest 7 - which I really looked forward to.
I feel the same.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #8
Grah! Grah!

Fahrenheit is my instinctive reaction (it had so much potential based on the demo and what they'd been saying for years.) If I think it over Sam & Max: Freelance Police is pretty clearly the biggest one though; it's just that a lot of the disappointment and bitterness has been neutralised by seeing Telltale rise out of it. I think the new episodes may even end up being more satisfying than that game would have been.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
Easily amused

I'm in the other category. I was very disappointed to know there would not be a continuation to the GK series. More recently I am disappointed in Delaware St. John vol. 3. The first 2 were 1st person point and clickers; very good games. I was looking forward to the third, but the next installment is 3rd person keyboard controls. I'll be passing on it.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Biggest disappointment for me was MI4, I was so delighted to hear that it was being made all those years ago, but then I actually bought the game when it was released and played it.

Man, what a bad game.

Other big disappointment was Sam & Max's cancellation, but I'm all over that one now that Telltale is making the Sam&Max episodes.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:15 AM   #11
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

My biggest disappointment was also MI4, for exactly the same reasons. MI3 is still one of my favorite adventure games and I still can't believe how badly LA got it wrong with MI4. Bad, bad LA!

Also the cancellation of Full Throttle was a big disappointment. Hmmm, now I thnk about it, I wasn't to happy with the first few screenshots or the rumors that the game was going to be more of an action game than an adventure game. I didn't mind the "action sequences" in FT but and action game...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
Retired Buccaneer

I still think that nothing equals the soul-crushing despair that was the untimely death of Sam and Max: Freelance Police. Man, when that news came, it was as if all the joy had been sucked out of the world. It was so sudden, too...

Telltale's rise may herald good things for Sam and Max in the future, but I for one still recall the unutterable emptiness of spirit in the AG community following that black day in 2004.

EMI wasn't a great game, but back in 2000, at least, there was still a glimmer of hope that LEC could rally itself and produce a better adventure in the future.

Although, now that I come to think on it, Chainsaw Monday should really be in this poll too...
Old 07-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #13
Master of time and space

For me Simon 3D, but I say that without having played more than 5 min into the game. It's all so awkward and UGLY! I loved the first two games. Oh well, I guess I'll give it another shot in due time.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #14
More slaw!!!

Definately Escape From Monkey Island for me. My brother was so excited to play this game, so we got it for my birthday and from almost the very first moment it just felt so soulless to me. It didn't feel like Monkey Isand, and it was just so... blah.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #15

I'd have to say Project Jane-J being cancelled. I was so psyched about it. Didn't play an adventure game for almost a year and a half after that... :|
Old 07-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Lazy Bee

My biggest disappointment is one of the classics. I bought and played it since it was recommended as one of the best. I don't regret getting it though, since it's a must play for adventure gamers and it also made it clear to me what my preferences in adventure gaming are.
What game? I'll say it really quitely not to upset too many: F.T
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I really can't answer this. With the exception of cancelling Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels (which, perhaps incorrectly, is the game that I'm going to assume you meant by "Full Throttle 2"), which looked like it was going to be pretty rubbish, all the other options were serious disappointments to me.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #18
Knights Templar

Simon 3D was a crushing dissapointment, but nothing left me as bitter as the cancelation of Sam anx Max Freelance Police, it was a major body blow to the adventure genre.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
Senior *female* member

King's Quest 8 came as a shock, but that was many years ago. More recently, Myst V. Even though I didn't expect much to begin with. But my number one disappointment was And Then There Were None. That game failed in almost all important aspects.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
Life and times of...

The discontinuation of the Gabriel Knight series (though maybe since they knew that GK3 is the best game ever they might not top that That's my demonstration against GK3 on that list), cancelling of Project Jane-J and slightly outside AGs, cancellation of the sequel to Outcast, though it's better that it's like that than the FPS or whatever shooter they were going to make out of it...

(Edit): It's funny how I don't agree with most of those on the list, or then they are just indifferent to me...