You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Barrow Hill - Doctor Who link?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Barrow Hill - Doctor Who link?

I'm looking for a way back into adventure gaming, having hardly played any for the past few years except for those that run on the PS2 - and they're never "pure" adventures, although I tend to like them anyway.

I saw the review of Barrow Hill, and it sounded intriguing - just the sort of thing I want to play, and which would probably interest my wife too. So I had a look on the Shadow Tor website, and was dismayed to see a reference to Amelia Rumford.

Why was I dismayed? Well, I recognised her name from an old Doctor Who episode - The Stones of Blood, which was set in the same location.

Sometimes I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who. At the moment, though, I really hate it. If I was playing a game and the TARDIS suddenly materialised, I'd probably give up in disgust. In fact I'd probably go back to the PS2 and play a first person shooter instead.

So I'm not sure whether to buy Barrow Hill after all. Can anyone assure me that there are no references to Amelia Rumford, the TARDIS, UNIT, the Ogri (vampire stones), or silly robot dogs in the game?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a similar game with lots of atmosphere that is completely free of tacky references?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

No Doctor Who references to be found (at least that were obvious to me). It's a great game!! I had a blast.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Melanie! I shall probably order it soon - though not yet as they are unable to sell it at the moment.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Biro
Thanks, Melanie! I shall probably order it soon - though not yet as they are unable to sell it at the moment.
I hope that means their sales are sky high.

You can still buy it at www.interactcd.com.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 AM   #5

Tch. Waht a pity. I think Doctor Who would make an exceptional source for an adventure game. Lots of exploration, conversation, object manipulation, and non-violent problem solving.

So far it somehow has been, what, a platform game, a side-scrolling shooter, and an FPS. I wonder what these people are thinking sometimes.

Sorry for the threadjack.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
Tch. Waht a pity. I think Doctor Who would make an exceptional source for an adventure game. Lots of exploration, conversation, object manipulation, and non-violent problem solving.
Indeed. I had a few ideas for a proper Doctor Who game, one in which you get to experience the sheer joy of travelling in the TARDIS. Maybe we could chat about it when I start liking Doctor Who again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
So far it somehow has been, what, a platform game, a side-scrolling shooter, and an FPS. I wonder what these people are thinking sometimes.
Yeah, utterly inappropriate stuff, which is daft because the Who format so naturally lends itself to adventure games, in the ways you mentioned above.