You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Secrets of DaVinci: The Forbidden Manuscript

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
What? You want to talk about the actual GAME? That's no fun. But anyway, here's our preview.

Thanks. Good preview. Short, but very informative. And it took only one sentence to say it isn't based in DaVinci Code! How is that even possible?

It answers most of the questions I had. It looks like another fun game from Kheops, I'm kind of disappointed the combining items system didn't make to this one.

Anyway, to anyone who finished the game, how many hours it took? My main complain about RtMI is it's short length.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
It answers most of the questions I had. It looks like another fun game from Kheops, I'm kind of disappointed the combining items system didn't make to this one.
You can't combine items in your inventory, but you can combine them in the appropriate place. For instance, in RTMI, if you wanted to make cannon powder, you combined the reagents in your inventory; in Da Vinci, you do it in Leonardo's workshop, at the table where he kept his chemical apparatus. So you still combine lots of things; but it's done more realistically (I think).

Quote:
Anyway, to anyone who finished the game, how many hours it took? My main complain about RtMI is it's short length.
The length is about the same as RTMI.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #43
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDave
I don't have an answer, but I do have an alternative title that might have been used:

Mona Lisa's Smile

(Yes, I know there's a movie by that name.)
Only problem is that the Julia Roberts movie was released 3 years ago and the game, released now, wouldn't be able to ride on its momentous coattails and have a chance at making extra money.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
You can't combine items in your inventory, but you can combine them in the appropriate place. For instance, in RTMI, if you wanted to make cannon powder, you combined the reagents in your inventory; in Da Vinci, you do it in Leonardo's workshop, at the table where he kept his chemical apparatus. So you still combine lots of things; but it's done more realistically (I think).
Ok, my bad, that makes sense, by your description it does sound kind of like the same thing. Sounds good

Quote:
The length is about the same as RTMI.
Shorter than short. Damn...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #45
gin soaked boy

I was just finishing writing a long reply to Jackal's post when I accidentally did something that caused my browser to return me to the previously visited page. I use an IE-based browser so when I pushed the forward button, the whole reply was gone.

I don't feel like writing it all over again so I'll end the whole thing with this:

You win, I lose. Good game.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #46
merely human

Aw, c'mon, cobsie! Just rewrite it, but not as 'verbosely', perhaps.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #47
gin soaked boy

It wasn't that verbose in the first place, it's just that there are many things to answer to. Frankly, can't be bothered at the moment. Maybe some other time.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #48
merely human

Quote:
That sounds a lot like the system used in Knights Of The Old Republic 2. In that game you can combine elements to make new weapons or chemical items (health packs, bombs, etc.) by finding the nearest work table or lab table. You can also disassemble things. Of course, since KOTOR2 is an RPG, what you can play around with is commensurate with your decided skills.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Only problem is that the Julia Roberts movie was released 3 years ago and the game, released now, wouldn't be able to ride on its momentous coattails and have a chance at making extra money.
I'm a never-ending source of marketing know-how & acumen: Simply include the Dvd of the movie (Mona Lisa's Smile, that is) with the game and make a big deal about it on the box!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #50
merely human

D'you think they should make the main character female and look like Miss Roberts? Definite big marketability right there!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #51
Barroom hero

I have to agree this title is awful, especially considering it is a really good game.

(PS : Anyway Da Vinci Code is a Gabriel Knight 3 rip-off, uh? )
Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #52
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I was just finishing writing a long reply to Jackal's post when I accidentally did something that caused my browser to return me to the previously visited page. I use an IE-based browser so when I pushed the forward button, the whole reply was gone.
Don't you hate it when that happens?

Seriously, I really don't think you're saying much that I or anyone disagrees with. It was just a question of degree. Except for the lame opening paragraph issue , which really has nothing to do with anything. (And I honestly don't think the EG review will make a speck of difference to how Secrets of Da Vinci OR DVC sells. That was all just theoretical discussion.)

In case anyone missed it, by the way, there's a "making of" video for the Secrets version of Da Vinci. This has nothing to do with the Brown debate; just an interesting aside.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #53
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Thanks for the preview, I'm definitly getting this game, escpecially since they seem to geniuly respect Da Vinci, and has cooperated with his estate among other things.. Waiting exited for the review..

And title wise I believe that "mona lisa smile" is a lot more cheesy than the secrets of Da Vinci..

just a little thought; If they'd called it "the secrets of Leonardo Da Vinci", would we have had this discussion?

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
And title wise I believe that "mona lisa smile" is a lot more cheesy than the secrets of Da Vinci..
How to hurt a guy!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #55
Schättenjager

I just started pretty much like mysterious journey nothing like nauseated
vinci code and have massive inventory