You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 'Bewitched' & 'Dukes of Hazzard' to blame for no new Monkey Island, DOTT.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #1

Default 'Bewitched' & 'Dukes of Hazzard' to blame for no new Monkey Island, DOTT.

As reported on mixnmojo, we can hear LucasArts head honcho Jim Ward publically declare how old television IP such as 'Bewitched' and 'Dukes of Hazzard' sucks when remade for the modern movie audience, which is why the old LucasArts IP such as Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle will stay dead and buried "until at least 2015".

Uhhh. Say what now?

Watch for yourself. (But you have to sit through 5 minutes of Indiana Jones & Star Wars talk about AI and molecular objects first. The payoff is worth it though, if only for the sheer horror).

For the first time I'm thinking there is a slim chance LucasArts could actually consider offloading its old IP. I would only trust it in the hands of (some of) the original developers of course, so...

Dave Grossmann, are you reading this? Tentacle / Mansion episodes from TellTale would be nice, yes?

Ron Gilbert, helloooooo...?

Last edited by jp-30; 05-14-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
Irritant F0rum Beasty

That sounds like quite a silly comment to make...even for him.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Staff Member

Well in that case make some NEW good games instead of shit Star Wars ones the whole sodding time! (All the good ones are 3rd party)

God that presenter is annoyingly chirpy.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 05-14-2006 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Merged
Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Homer of Kittens

"We can do better" -Jim Ward

Yeah Right...

And talk about double standard, getting their best IP back is compared to Dukes of Hazzard, but having Star Wars games for the last 15 years is exciting.

Firefox rules
Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #5

Unbelievable. Does this shitbag even listen to the the words that dribble out of his mouth? How could anyone possibly miss the hypocrisy of condemning classic advenuture properties fro a lack of originality immeditely after trumpeting the same tired licenses over and over again, but with a few pointless graphic enhancements, and claim that this is even a shred of originality?

Ah, he's a marketing professional, that's how. Sometimes I wonder why it is that lawyers seem to attract all of the abuse when these people are running around.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Dungeon Master

That's so stupid I don't know where to start.
  • Bewitched and Dukes of Hazzard are crappy "reimaginings" of the originals; it doesn't really make sense to treat them as a part of the same franchise with the originals (and that's what the question was about).
  • And it's not like the originals in this case were such superbly creative shows, as far as I know.
  • And it's not like remaking old TV series hasn't been done to a critical success (Fugitive, The Addams Family), while we are at it.
  • Finally, as everybody pointed out, this policy should make them stop release all the Star Wars games long ago.
I know I am stating the obvious. It just puzzles me on how many levels *at once* his argument makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #7

I hate Jim Ward.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #8

If you're not going to use the licenses, its just plain selfish and prideful and stupid to keep them to yourself when the people originally involved with them could potentially make something terrifically wonderful with them. Ugh, I hate this crap....
Old 05-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

well when theres hope out there, no matter how slim.. you have to grasp it and email people with encouragement...

who is interested in an email campaign to LucasArts? we can put names and email addresses/phone numbers or whatever on a form and send them a letter signed by like 600 people from this site or something... man... we could get 1000!! could be worth the small effort

GoT
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #10

Well, LucasArts management didn't pay much attention to these 32,000 signatures, though that groundswell support helped convince some of the Sam & Max team to form a new adventure-game company, of course.

But I can't see what a letter writing campaign to LucasArts would hope to achieve at this point in time.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #11
GoT

just a casual suggestion.... i don't know anything about large companies but if i were part of a large company i'd like to know what the people who "play" the games think. dosn't really matter i guess.....
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #12
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
just a casual suggestion.... i don't know anything about large companies but if i were part of a large company i'd like to know what the people who "play" the games think. dosn't really matter i guess.....
Harsh reality is, we're not the people who BUY games. The people it makes sense to target are the people who will walk into a game boutique and hand over £40 for a new Star Wars game because they can remember the films, then play it for five minutes. Why? Because there are so many more of them than people who will get the best prices, wait for mark-downs and play games which aren't part of a franchise or tied into a film.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #13
Adventure Gamer

Considering the best selling game as of today on GameStop/EBGames is the "New Super Mario Bros.", doesn't seem like a very accurate statement. And this is a game that stuck *very* close to its roots...just giving it a few more bells and whistles and a graphical overhaul. If a game has a solid enough design, it can pass the test of time if you don't change too much of what made it special (i.e. what they were gonna do to Full Throttle was not gonna be pretty ><)

--BPF
Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
The people at Lucas Arts who gave a shit, left. Most of them are working for Telltale now.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #15
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
[*]And it's not like remaking old TV series hasn't been done to a critical success (Fugitive, The Addams Family), while we are at it.
You forgot Mission: Impossible.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #16
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Hey, I liked both Bewitched and Dukes ._.
Anyway, I've never seen the old ones.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 05-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
kamikaze hummingbirds

why the hell does everyone go mad and shout at LucasArts. If they made a new AG it would be extremely crap because all the guys who make AGs have left.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #18
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
why the hell does everyone go mad and shout at LucasArts. If they made a new AG it would be extremely crap because all the guys who make AGs have left.
It's not so much that people are mad at Lucasarts anymore, it's just this Jim Ward guy. We know he's anti-adventure game, but he doesn't have to keep rubing our noses in it with comments like that.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #19
Knights Templar

Idiot! Dukes of Hazzard etc failed because people hated the crappy studio attempts to make them 'updated' and 'for the modern audience' - NOBODY WANTS THAT!!!!

Monkey Island is not set in any realistic time period, so there would be no reason to mess with it or update it, another awesome swashbuckling Guybrush adventure would be all we desire.

Anyway, who's up for playing Star Wars : Rogue troop commando Jedi Lord part IV?????
Old 05-17-2006, 02:30 AM   #20
GoT

You guys all make such valid points but: What's the chances of Telltale doing some Monkey Island games if they got the rights to do Sam & Max? Very slim i take it? How many guys left LucasArts to start Telltale, i do remember reading about it quite some time ago when the Telltale forums first came up but a refresh on the latest info would be good. and how many were from other companies apart from LucasArts.... its my understanding that all the best adventure game designers are working for Telltale bar Ron Gilbert.. whats stopping the man himself from being involved? what's HE doing these days apart from posting once a fortnight on his Grumpy Gamer site?

GoT