You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Disappointed about Dreamfall!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Fjafen

Default Disappointed about Dreamfall!

I havent finished the game but so far im so disapointed about the action, so unecessery. It would have been a great game if someone didnt say: HEY Lets have som Action in the game! It ruined most of the game..
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
merely human

Unnecessary? Sorry the game didn't meet your expectations. Were you thinking that any action was entirely unnecessary as per your idea of what an adventure game should be?

Oh, and welcome to the finest adventure gaming community online.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Try looking past the action. It's actually a pretty small part of the game, so don't let your opinion of the game be influenced too much by it.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Fjafen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Unnecessary? Sorry the game didn't meet your expectations. Were you thinking that any action was entirely unnecessary as per your idea of what an adventure game should be?

Oh, and welcome to the finest adventure gaming community online.
hehe, i wasnt ready for some fighting when i bought the game. I screwed up most of the time in the fighting

The game was pretty good except that

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 05-04-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: merged posts
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
merely human

Well, there's definitely a consensus - among both reviewers and games- that the fighting system was awful. I'm playing it now and I agree, it sucks. I stated elsewhere here that they should have consulted experts to implement a far better fighting system instead of trying to re-invent it themselves.

But as RaNMa stated, if you can focus your attention more on the story, atmosphere, and character, you can have a great experience and the game reveals its true value that way.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
kamikaze hummingbirds

i think all threads similar to this should be brutally deleted without warning. They're taking up space.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to wezyap

well, the fighting is only a option you have, you can avoid all combats if you choose right, exept two fights, one whit zoe and one whit kian.
and even if you choose to fight, those fights are very simple, and shouldt take the focus away from the rest of the game, I think reviewers and players are too mutch "OMG.. A option to fight in a adventure game!1! that game is baaaad".
I myself dosn't like combat in Adventure games, but in the case of dreamfall, I didn't mind it, since you have the option to not to fight.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
i think all threads similar to this should be brutally deleted without warning. They're taking up space.
Yeah, but Ffajen is a n00b so is not aware of the redundancy. Anyway, a mod will merge this thread with the other soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezyap
well, the fighting is only a option you have, you can avoid all combats if you choose right, exept two fights, one whit zoe and one whit kian.
There's also the mandatory one the very first time you control April.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Really? Just three required fights? Wow, I thought it was more.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah, but Ffajen is a n00b so is not aware of the redundancy. Anyway, a mod will merge this thread with the 16million otherssoon enough.

There's also the mandatory one the very first time you control April.
CORRECTED... CORRECTED TO THE
EXTREME
Old 05-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
merely human

LOL!!! You should know by now how often these things happen.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #12

The fighting isn't so bad. It only annoyed me when putting you in fighting mode against opponents you couldn't beat.

It's the distinct lack of Human-Computer Interaction that you should be worried about
Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon K
The fighting isn't so bad. It only annoyed me when putting you in fighting mode against opponents you couldn't beat.
well, I think thats better than auto-death. It becomes a bit mor realistic, than if you just sudenly die.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #14

Funny, I'm pleasantly surprised about the game, and the action bits hardly bother me at all, plus they're easy, mostly avoidable and very few in number. Excellent game!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
Dungeon Master

A question: when I engage in combat, does the health bar reset to full health each time, or does my character still carry the wounds from the recent battles?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #16
merely human

No. The health bar goes back to normal after the fight. If you die the game autoresets to just before the fight.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #17

after a eatch combat, your healt will be restored

damn beaten by Intrepid, didn't refresh my browser befor I posted
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMa
Really? Just three required fights? Wow, I thought it was more.
I counted 4, actually, and none of them as Zoe (1 April, 3 Kian... that's all I did in my play-through)... not counting the gym. Kinda funny that I had to do that training as her, now that I think about it, considering that I never once had Zoe lift her fists during the rest of the game.

The 4 required fights for those curious:
Spoiler:
1. First time playing April
2. First time playing Kian
3. Kian vs two rebels in the street
4. Kian vs two rebels in the Inn

Last edited by Snatcher42; 05-04-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #19
Cannabis Connoisseur

I'm dissapointed for alot of resons

1) game was very, very short, it should have been called the shortest journey. Didn't take me too long at all to play through the game. ESPECIALLY since TLJ was exceptionally long and good. Not only that it was intensley easy. Not once did it have to ponder over what to do next, or what i was missing; everything was so linear it brought me to tears.
Spoiler:
All i did was play errand girl running around for dumb stuff, like making mrs. mullens spiced wine. For a theoretically blind man.

2)
Spoiler:
You bump into EVERYONE from the first game, and i suppose i was expecting something totally new and fresh. One or two people is fine, but ALL of them?

3)The environments were nice, but compared to all the lovely detail and artwork of the first game, this was a total downgrade by my standards. Not only that, but there was limited set of locales and i didn't feel the sense of adventure as i thought i would have because of it.
4)I wont complain MUCH about the ending, as it does open up an offering for a sequel. But there was way too much left open. But i do hate happy endings, so i was content with what they did. Anything can happen.
Spoiler:
And the last last last video (after the credits roll), with westhouse in tibet was really cool. (They should make a game about him i say). (I didn't even realize it was him at the beginning of the game)

5)I know this may sound silly, but when any of the characters carried an item, or was passing it over to someone else, they never even showed the item in hand, it was so half assed done, everything seemed very robotic - what a bore

I could keep going on, but i wont. Thinking about it angers me

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 05-04-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

umm.. spoilers? maybe spoiler-mark your thread.. lots of us who hasn't played the game you know..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery