You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Keepsake Demo (4/10)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default New Keepsake Demo (4/10)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...ml?sid=6147411

Quote:
This second demo grants you access to different game play sections and includes new voices.
I believe you have to be a GameSpot member to get this demo. If you're not, you can probably find the download a little bit later on sites like Gamershell, though I don't see it at this time.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

When I first saw your title, I thought the new demo had been rated a 4 out of 10.

For non GameSpot members, WorthPlaying has the demo here. I'm looking forward to hearing the new voices!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #3

Default Keepsake demo 2

I played the first demo so I decided to try out the second. The only puzzle I have found yet makes just no sense to me. Something about arranging planets in the right way. Are all the puzzles in the full games like this. They just feel so strange somehow to me. I almost feel completely helpless like when I tried the puzzles in realmyst. I know there is a solution option but even then I had no idea what had just happened. Now the guide is a cat but in the first demo it was a wolf. That also felt quite confusing.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceadventure
Are all the puzzles in the full games like this.
Pretty much, they do have a Mysty feel to them. I think that that's going to be the deciding factor for a lot of people to whether to purchase this game or not. The section contained in this demo is rather late in the game though, so some things do make a little bit more sense after playing your way to that same point.
Quote:
Now the guide is a cat but in the first demo it was a wolf. That also felt quite confusing.
Erm, yeah. I was somewhat surprised to see that TAC had made that particular decision. Talk about a spoiler of sorts
Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Vini, Vidi, vici

I think that some of the puzzles in the full game i somewhat more intuitive than others...

I found that the planetary game was one of the less logic ones and one i had a lot of help with. But generally i enjoyed the puzzles...

The cat/wolf thing will become clear when you play the full game
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
By Jove I've got it!

What of the new voice-acting in the new demo - is this better or worse?

I am considering buying this game but not at the current state of play the voice-acting was in in the first demo...
Old 04-12-2006, 02:29 AM   #7

I really don't understand why they put out this demo, which not only seems to spoil the story, but also spoils the fun of discovering the "second floor".
Old 04-12-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBoyinPERIL
What of the new voice-acting in the new demo - is this better or worse?
I couldn't see any major improvements, though Zak's definitely been revoiced - but I didn't mind his voice to begin with. I only really had a problem with Mustavio's vocals, and he's not in this demo to compare.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-12-2006 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
though Zak's definitely been revoiced -
Really? I didn't even notice! He sounded exactly the same to me.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I might be wrong, but I'm sure he was slightly different. Still, the bugbear of the original release voice talent is definitely Mustavio.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Definitely new acting for both Lydia and Zak, but they were hardly the worst eardrum offenders in the original version.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
By Jove I've got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
[/I]Still, the bugbear of the original release voice talent is definitely Mustavio.
Dale - you speak the truth as always - that high pitched git ruined the demo tutorial for me...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Definitely new acting for both Lydia and Zak, but they were hardly the worst eardrum offenders in the original version.
Well, I'll take your word for it, but I don't hear it and I don't think it makes much difference. Same type of voice (a light, high and young Zak) and same kind of voiceacting in both demos. Maybe the accents are different? A non-native would hardly notice anyway.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #14

The Keepsake demo has been downloaded a grand total of seventy-four times. Crikey, I think most flash applications get more downloads than that in the same space of time.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceadventure
I played the first demo so I decided to try out the second. The only puzzle I have found yet makes just no sense to me. Something about arranging planets in the right way. Are all the puzzles in the full games like this. They just feel so strange somehow to me. I almost feel completely helpless like when I tried the puzzles in realmyst. I know there is a solution option but even then I had no idea what had just happened. Now the guide is a cat but in the first demo it was a wolf. That also felt quite confusing.
I hope the puzzle they have included in this demo is the one where you have to arrange the planet, the sun, the moon and the star in a 4x4 matrix. This is one of the easiest and very short. If, on the contrary, they chose the observatory room puzzle (the one with the telescope, the constellations and the co-ordinates), well, their marketing advisor really sucks! That one is probably the most complicated and sadistic puzzle I've ever encountered in a game...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Well, I'll take your word for it, but I don't hear it and I don't think it makes much difference. Same type of voice (a light, high and young Zak) and same kind of voiceacting in both demos. Maybe the accents are different? A non-native would hardly notice anyway.
I didn't play too much of the NA version having already played the original, but the voices are definitely similar, yes. It's mainly the delivery that's different; the original ones seemed to over-emote rather awkwardly at times. The new version sounds a little more natural (though again, that's based on pretty limited exposure.) I didn't have much problem with the original Zak and Lydia, though.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerzone
I hope the puzzle they have included in this demo is the one where you have to arrange the planet, the sun, the moon and the star in a 4x4 matrix. This is one of the easiest and very short. If, on the contrary, they chose the observatory room puzzle (the one with the telescope, the constellations and the co-ordinates), well, their marketing advisor really sucks! That one is probably the most complicated and sadistic puzzle I've ever encountered in a game...
Interestingly enough, what they have included is both of those puzzles, as well as the whole ship-in-the-bottle sequence.

Puzzle and location-in-game wise, it's a very odd demo. I think they chose it more to show off the game's graphics and art direction (which it certainly does).

Last edited by Snatcher42; 04-12-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #18

Oh, yes, I forgot that you have first to arrange the matrix to trigger the co-ordinates shown on the panel in the observatory classroom. Anyway, for those who decide to download this demo, be prepared for a huge disappointment. I really don't think there must be any average person who could solve this puzzle. I spent a few hours on it, focused to the floating ball and discs, arranged all co-ordinates and the constellations, but still I could not understand what I had really to do. I mean, after all, even the hint system (very useful in other cases) didn't mention anything about the supposed relation between the runes and the constellations. Awful, I felt like cheated by the game itself... And they decided to impose such frustration with a demo. Shame on them...
Old 04-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Saw Keepsake at Best Buy today. I didn't realize it was out in the U.S. For some reason it was in the Strategy section (along with C.S.I.) and not in the Adventure section with Myst, Nibiru, and Voyage. Also saw Scratches in the New Releases section.

Wasn't interested in Keepsake, though, so I didn't get it. I'll get Scratches after I get my computer fixed.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
Super Moderator

It has somehow been misclassified - I've seen it on eBay as an RPG!

I think a lot of people (who aren't adventure gamers) have no idea what it is.