You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games you just cant finish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Codger

Default Adventure games you just cant finish

TLJ. A game that has been lauded as the best ever. In another thread I was told to stick with it despite the boredom that comes with the endless conversations. Because, it was said, I will be rewarded with some incredibly wonderful graphics.

Crap! TLJ is boring to the extreme. If Dreamfall is of similar ilk, I won't be playing it either.

I'm sure that others have started to play games that, despite best intentions, you never finished.

I'll be unloading TLJ in the next day or so. What are your greatest disappointments?

Last edited by rtrooney; 04-04-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
SamNMax

Muscle through the dialog. Totally worth it. Not really for the graphics, but the incredible story is epic.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

heh, I think my biggest dissapointment will result in the same comments that your post gets/will get(I don't agree with it at all, just to get that out of the way, I love TLJ)

My biggest dissapointment is Grim fandango. I know it's recconed as one of the greatest games in history, but I don't have the energy to continue playing it (I've just started year two). I don't get any of the puzzles, so I get stuck for ages until I finally check a walkthrough, and the answer is something I never would have thought of by myself (like the signpost puzzle) I also hate the stearing. I keep forgetting witch buttons do what since I'm not used to playing with my numpad..

I know it has a great story, and I like the backstory and the enviroment, but I can't force myself to continue..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Okay, the signpost is a terrible puzzle. Keep going, I swear. As the game goes on, the plot thickens. And buy a gamepad!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #5

TLJ certainly isn't one of them; KOTOR2 though... I hate the ending, so I usually re-play it all the way up to the ending, then quit. Some adventure games, because they're just too good to finish (if you know what I mean), except this mean I sometimes forget about them and discover later on I never finished them, so I replay the whole thing and the cycle repeats
Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Supreme Dictator for Life

It's TLJ for me too. I wouldn't say it's my greatest disappointment (actually I wouldn't call it a disappointment at all). I rather enjoyed what parts of the game I've been able to complete, but it seems like whenever I begin to make some definite progress in it something comes up: college, cpu/hd craps out (this has happened TWICE), etc. And then I'm always too stubborn to get a save-game from somebody, I *must* restart the game. Agh, frustrating.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Club a seal or two

Indiana Jones: the Last Crusade
Kinda hard to keep playing if you'd already seen the damn movie.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #8

I'm ashamed to admit I've only played about an hour into TLJ, am still on Year 3 in Grim Fandango, still have to find 1 or 2 pieces of the StarForge thingy in KOTOR, haven't finished The Dig or Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb...

Not that I don't want to finish them, it's just I start playing, can only ever find an hour or so every few nights (3 children under 5 years old and my own business to attend to) so I tend to have large amounts of time; weeks or months where I simply can't find time to play videogames, and then returning to the game (especially the likes of KOTOR or GF) is so daunting as I've forgotten where objects are, who's said what to whom, what the controls are, blah blah blah, that it's easier to start a whole new game than try and pick up where I left off.

And then that new game probably falls victim to the same scenario (I have beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts on the shelf, just waiting to be half played and abandoned). I think the last game I finished was Star Wars Republic Commando. One of the major complaints I read was it was too short. Not for me... the length was perfect!

And for people in a similar situation, where available gameplay time is sporadic and totally unpredictable, Bone (and in the future Sam & Max's) shorter episodic play times are a godsend.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
Baddest Badguy Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
...I simply can't find time to play videogames, and then returning to the game (especially the likes of KOTOR or GF) is so daunting as I've forgotten where objects are, who's said what to whom, what the controls are, blah blah blah, that it's easier to start a whole new game than try and pick up where I left off.

...One of the major complaints I read was it was too short. Not for me... the length was perfect!
I'm with you jp-30. I tend to forget what I have done in a game. I play it for a few nights when I get a chance, and then I do not get back to it for a couple of months. After restarting several games several times each, I learned to just read the walkthrough up to the point I left off. Saves time and it is not cheating if you do not read ahead (of course I use walkthroughs when I am stuck - no time to sit there forever like I used to with SQ2... "Put gem in mouth" - who could think of that!)

I also agree that I tend to play games where I read in the review that the game was amazing but too short. I play those ones first these days, and I enjoy every precious minute!

Cheers,
Stain
Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
fire breathing

runaway

Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBunny
runaway

Aww, but the ending was a bit of geographical hilarity if you've ever been to San Francisco
Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

I made it through TLJ's dialogue by skipping through all of it and then skimming April's journal for the highlights.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Vice City. Great game, but for some damn reason I never play it long enough to finish it. I did finish San Andreas oddly enough.

Most games I play, I make an honest effort to try and finish. Though I still have to finish TLJ and Second Sight. Two games I bought, tried, loved and yet seem to have fallen out of my sight. I'll finish them someday!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #14

The games that disappointed me the most (Lost Eden I guess was the worst, but there are a few others) aren't necesseraly the ones I could not finish.

For example, I liked Simon the Sorcerer 3D, but I couldn't finish it.

EDIT: Oh wait, I almost forgot The Westerner!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
SamNMax

As for me, well I can't think of one at the top of my head. When I start a game, I'm usually pretty commited to finish it. I have a really big problem with starting most games, though. Right now, I've had Tony Tough for months but can't bring myself to pass the first room.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
How am I not myself?

I hear a lot of agonizing over TLJ's dialogue. It was long, sure, but excruciatingly long, no.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
gin soaked boy

Sam & Max Hit The Road. I finished it, but it was a chore.

Starcraft: Brood War. It's been on my hard drive for years. I'm 2-3 missions from the end, but just can't get myself to finish it.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I started playing it only recently and I'm undecided whether I should continue. Maybe it picks up later in the game, but so far it's soooooo boring.

Bahamut Lagoon. It should be fun, but it isn't. Hate the menus. I'd take Shining Force's simplicity any day.

Panzer Dragoon. I love it, but it's. So. Hard.

And the list goes on and on...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Monkey Island 4 bored me so much that I just stopped playing because of desinterest. I think I was somewhere on the second island...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #19
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
Monkey Island 4 bored me so much that I just stopped playing because of desinterest. I think I was somewhere on the second island...
Same here. Must have bored me quite a bit that I even forgot to mention it.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #20

Totally, MI4 was soooo disappointing. I managed actually to get all the way to the end of it, but I haven't finished it and it aint keeping me up at night.

Black Dahlia have an endless number of bugs, which prevented me from ever finishing it after like 7 attempts, where in the last attempt it crashed right before the big finale. That did it.