You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Scratches selling well

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Scratches selling well

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...ml?sid=6146385

Got Game’s “Scratches” Claws Its Way to the Top

Weston, CT – March 22, 2006 – In the face of big name, big budget releases, value-priced, independently developed games can still make a mark. Since its release earlier this month, "Scratches", a suspense-adventure game for the PC has ranked in the top 10 of Amazon.com's Top Sellers in Computer and Video Games, as well as in popular game indexes such as GameRankings.com.

Published in North America by Got Game Entertainment, the point-and-click game set in rural England was developed across the globe in Buenos Aires, Argentina by Nucleosys, the two-man team of Agustin Cordes and Alejandro Graziani, and is proving to be the little game that could.

Presenting an engrossing tale, haunting sound, richly detailed graphics, a clean interface, and logical, organic puzzles, "Scratches" has found a home not only with core adventure gamers, but with horror and suspense fans as well.

"The success of 'Scratches' proves there is always an audience for well-made games that tell a story," said Got Game Entertainment President Howard Horowitz. "Seeing 'Scratches' in top 10 popularity rankings next to blockbusters like 'Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion' makes this publisher more determined than ever to bring quality, independently developed games to market."

"Scratches" also makes its mark as the first commercially released adventure game ever developed in Argentina.

About "Scatches" "Scratches" is an atmospheric mystery adventure game for the PC, brimming with eerie twists and terrifying surprises. Set in and around a solitary Victorian mansion concealing a terrible secret, a long since forgotten story from the past emerges to haunt the present. A careful combination of inventory-based and deductive-style puzzles, integrated with a riveting storyline, non-linear gameplay, intricately detailed graphics, and an entrancing soundtrack, immerse you in a haunting Gothic atmosphere until the final shocking revelation.

As famed horror writer Michael Arthate, you arrive at Blackwood Manor, your newly acquired home, an old Victorian house lost in the outskirts of a small English market town. While the ominous weather bodes of darker days, you are initially charmed by this peaceful and quiet place. The pleasant stillness is soon broken, however, as the rooms of this exquisite, if faded glory, mansion speak of past events, their tales echoing through its walls. As the odd noises in the basement grow ever louder, you set about solving your sanctuary's long-held mystery.

Isolated by a washed out road, and in search of clues, you delve into every dark corner of the mansion and its untended grounds via a point-and -click interface. Examining, probing, and hunting your way through musty rooms, an overrun greenhouse, a sinister chapel, and a forbidding crypt, your investigation deepens, and you slowly become aware of one terrifying fact: you are not alone!

"Scratches" is available for a suggested retail price of $19.95 (USD) and is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB for Alcohol and Tobacco Reference/Blood/Mild Language/Mild Violence.

For more information on "Scratches", visit www.ScratchesMystery.com.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Great to hear! When I tested the game I knew this game was gonna be big.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #3

That is fantastic news!

Way to go Nucleosys.

My copy is on its way. I can't wait to play the game.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
fire breathing

This is what happens to games when the developers are give the time to actually finish their product and release it relatively free of bugs....
Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Way to go Agustin! I just ordered mine today!

Lynsie
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Aj_
Beyond Belief

It's nowhere to be seen on gamerankings' frontpage (has an average review score of 71%), and is currently rank 17 out of PC games on amazon.com, which is pretty good but shows how variable amazon.com's rankings are. I'd rather see the month's top 20 PC games, to see if it's in there, that would be impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/videogames//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20
http://www.gamerankings.com/
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/931243.asp
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #7

... they really need to find a publisher for Scratches in the UK or at least offer a download purchase akin to Telltale's offerings. I've played and enjoyed the demo but ... the full game proves elusive and I must play it, I must!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowne
... they really need to find a publisher for Scratches in the UK or at least offer a download purchase akin to Telltale's offerings. I've played and enjoyed the demo but ... the full game proves elusive and I must play it, I must!
Ebay is your friend. I found my copy there, boxed and new.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Easily amused

I've no doubt I'll enjoy this game. I picked mine up this week at a local EB.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
More slaw!!!

Amazon sales ranks really aren't a reliable source...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

^ I agree. I didn't write the news article. Just posted it here.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
is not wierd

I don't know if it really matters terribly that it made the top ten at Amazon. I think that's just a reference point to say simply that yes, the game is doing quite well. If the publishing company is pretty clearly happy with the results then that should be enough to assume that the game is performing at least to expectations if not moreso...since I assume they have pretty reliable figures/accountants.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Amazon is one of the few online stores that releases it's figures - at least for the US
Old 03-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
Codger

Was at Best Buy yesterday to buy something vital, and I'm ashamed to say that picking up Scratches didn't even cross my mind. Will be going back tomorrow for sure.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #15

I am so impressed that this game is selling well here in the United States. This great news has inspired me to go buy it someday.

Unfortunately, I have to pay bills for my apartment when I get the chance because I am in a money predicament (Don't worry, it's not serious), so now is not the time for me to buy games. But, I am definitely planning to buy this game. It sounds very intriguing.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
Psychonaut

I bought mine from the store at Just Adventure. Took about a week to be delivered.

Will install it at the weekend to play.

Way to go Augustin.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBunny
This is what happens to games when the developers are give the time to actually finish their product and release it relatively free of bugs....
It's funny you should say that considering the reviewer over at AmpedIGO was unable to finish Scratches due to a game stopping bug...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
The Solomon of Sarcasm

A game-stopping bug that, as far as I have heard, hasn't affected anyone else...

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #19

I finished the game with no problems whatsoever. But, over at Nucleosys forum, they suggest people to update video drivers, which apparently works for most if not all bugs that may appear.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #20
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
A game-stopping bug that, as far as I have heard, hasn't affected anyone else...
Game Developers' Law No.1: If only one person finds the serious bug you missed, you can guarantee that person will be reviewing the game.

Congratulations to Nucleosys on doing so well.