You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 2 - I'm about to uninstall this one....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I disagree. Well, technically, they are of course. And that's about it. BS2: No threat. No villain. No suspense. No pacing. Whatsoever. Personally, I still enjoyed it, thanks to the funny writing. And the pretty pictures.

Haha! I remember playing BS1 as a kid;

Spoiler:
when Kahn approached me in Ireland my heart nearly leapt our of my throat...ah good times

It kinda lost it's effect the next twenty times I played it...
Old 03-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
I heard so many great things about this series and I have been on the desperate search for a good adventure game with danger and clever escapes and real Macgyver action. So far my search hasn't turned up much.
The thing is, the guys who made this got too much success with the first game and rushed to get the second out as fast as possible (there wasn't much space between the launch of the game if I'm right).

Back to BS2, the puzzles don't get that much harder than this. Most of the time in the game you only have a very few selection of screens to search around at the time, meaning that there is little space to make more epic puzzles.

However, even if you don't like the puzzles, I still believe that the game is worth playing for the story alone.

Hope this is some use?

EDIT: The priest bit is no where near the end. It's only half way through.

Last edited by Terramax; 03-20-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #23
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

BS2 is also the only one i was ever able to replay, I always try to replay the first but loose intrest half way through
Old 03-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
Haha! I remember playing BS1 as a kid;

Spoiler:
when Kahn approached me in Ireland my heart nearly leapt our of my throat...ah good times

It kinda lost it's effect the next twenty times I played it...

Yay, the original Broken Sword is full of such cool scenes. The script is just way crisper than that of its sequel.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #25
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If you're not enjoying Broken Sword 2, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to hunt down Broken Sword 1. They're pretty similar (although people tend to like BS1 better, I think).
I would have to disagree too. Broken Sword I was one of the finest gaming moments of my life. Broken Sword II seemed like it didn't deserve to belong in the same series. We've had a couple of conversations on this board before about the quality of both games, and I think quite frankly we've all agreed that Broken Sword 1 is by far the greatest of the entire series. I suggest picking the original as soon as possible.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #26

So far it seems that BS1 has NO puzzles really. Just a lot of conversations that involve licking on every topic available.

Tell me there are more frequent puzzles coming up.

The game is still pretty good, but I need my inventory puzzles!!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Ok...
Spoiler:
I always had a feeling she was a ghost...or at the very least not who she was claiming to be.
She wasnt in the chest not for hours but for Days, and that was a while ago before george even arived there.
Spoiler:
Yeah I also got the feeling something wasn't as it seemed, but not to such an extent that I thought she was a ghost, and I guess I assumed she was kidding when she mentioned being in there for days on end. So she died there, while playing hide and seek? I wonder why George never "mentioned" that, I just thought he "assumed" she was kidding, or something. Anyway, before this turns into the other thread filled with spoiler tags..

Anyway, I enjoyed all BS games, perhaps not equally, but still thoroughly. Even BS3 was an ace game in my opinion; sure, it had its flaws, and the ending was crappy, but it was certainly a nice addition to the series, and Revolution went out of its way to try something radically different (fully 3D, "action" scenes, ackward controls for some, box puzzles, stealth scenes etc.), that's more than you can say for most adventure developers still in business.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #28
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
So far it seems that BS1 has NO puzzles really. Just a lot of conversations that involve licking on every topic available.

Tell me there are more frequent puzzles coming up.

The game is still pretty good, but I need my inventory puzzles!!
There are quite few later in the game. Some of them are great.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Spoiler:
Yeah I also got the feeling something wasn't as it seemed, but not to such an extent that I thought she was a ghost, and I guess I assumed she was kidding when she mentioned being in there for days on end. So she died there, while playing hide and seek? I wonder why George never "mentioned" that, I just thought he "assumed" she was kidding, or something. Anyway, before this turns into the other thread filled with spoiler tags..
Spoiler:
When george find out the final conclusion from rio he says in a voice over that he doesnt mention her again
I would have liked to ask the aunts about it or even Emily herself but the story ends there atleast there was an end to it though
Old 03-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #30

Really glad to hear there will be more puzzles later. So far I do like the game though.

It did get me thinking how a true investigation based game hasn't really been done right. Sure there have been some good Sherlock Holmes games, but too often these types tend to be more interactive fiction and a matter of just asking everyone everything or examining every clue.

Now I do admit I haven't played these as much as I have the inventory puzzle based games nor could I figure how to better implement investigation.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #31
Mojoholic

Playing adventure games specifically to experience puzzles? My God, what is the world coming to?

Anyway, Broken Sword 1 is far better than Broken Sword 2 in pretty much every way as far as I'm concerned; I preferred the atmosphere, the locations, the characters, the storyline, and — yes — the puzzles.

There's nothing ridiculously hard, but the puzzles are generally not lame and overly intricate; not to mention, it's a cracking game in general. Anybody who doesn't like it at all wants slapping in the face with Still Life.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #32
I know it's 'Pancake'....

Bah!, you can't call yourself an adventure gamer if you havn't completed the BS series! * Dodges the flames *, forget how silly the puzzles are and get cracking already

Last edited by Pankake; 03-22-2006 at 11:39 AM.