You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 2 - I'm about to uninstall this one....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword 2 - I'm about to uninstall this one....

There might be a few spoilers in here.....

Okay, so I get thrown in prison and I couldn't be happier. Why? Cause I love escape puzzles. So this is Broken Sword 2 - a beloved game by so many. I take a quick look around the cell: a toilet, a light, the lock, a window some rope......my Macgyverness i kicking until I figure out the least clever and least imaginative way to escape. Very dissapointing, but coulda been worse.

And it got worse. So uh, my girlfriend is poisoned (snake bit) and being taken care of by this PRIEST!!!! and he won't guide me to find the cure unless....wait for it....I iron his collar!!!!! WHAT!!! Are you kidding? Now I have played a lot of adventure games and I know that sometimes you just gotta let some things go, but please tell me its all better from here. Tell me there are some really great puzzles coming up and no more of this foolishness. PLEASE. I am very close to uninstalling.

I heard so many great things about this series and I have been on the desperate search for a good adventure game with danger and clever escapes and real Macgyver action. So far my search hasn't turned up much.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Is this near the beginning of the game, or the end?

I played almost all the way through this game and gave up near the end because of the ridiculous puzzles (the movie set is what did it for me). But I don't remember this bit, which makes me think you might be closer to the end than I was. Or maybe I just blocked it out.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I didn't like Broken Sword 2 either...

Shadow of the Templars(Circle of Blood) is one of my favourite games, but the other two in the series rate very low with me. Broken Sword is probably the closest you're going to get to MacGyver action.

The priest is pretty near the end, and what a bad ending it is.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

The priest is right after you escape jail in Mexico. He has the tree house that you have to laughably smoke him out of (another winner).

I heard that BS1 barely had puzzles! Tell me I am wrong PLEASE!!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
Tell me there are some really great puzzles coming up and no more of this foolishness. PLEASE. I am very close to uninstalling.
Nope, that's pretty much as good as it gets in this game.

Although I never actually felt like uninstalling at any point, I found it very disappointing on the whole. Far too linear for my tastes.

The first one is infinitely better though.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #6

Good - I was starting to think it was just me. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I have tried and hated quite a few adventure games lately. Syberia 1 and 2 (I just hate everything about these games), TLJ (not horrible, but the puzzles sucked and I just didn't care), BS2 (Stupid puzzles), Scratches (unimaginative puzzles, but nice atmosphere) ....

Okay, maybe I am a bit picky, but I just replayed CoMI and DOT and could not stop playing them. Same for Lost in Time and SQ5. Just great games with great puzzles. I'm starting to lose faith. I have not yet played BS1 because I heard it was light on puzzles, but maybe I'll give it a go.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

TLJ has some bizarre puzzles, most of them I had to solve through brute force, because even after solving them, they made very little sense. Like the maerum altar, I know what the symbols represent, but for the life of me, have no idea why they have to go where they go.

Broken Sword 1 isn't light on puzzles as far as I'm concerned. I didn't note BS2 or 3 in having more puzzles than the original.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #8

Cool. I'll guess I'l have to finally try BS1 then. I was getting ready to replay FoA for the tenth time. I just like ADVENTURE in my adventure games. Danger, escapes, globe trotting...
Old 03-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #9

I actually enjoyed those bits, Dwayne was awesome Besides, they're easy "puzzles" that you can solve within minutes, and move on to the next scenes. BS1 especially but BS2 also are in my book of favourite alltime AGs.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #10

So you liked BS2? You didn't find the puzzles to be HORRIBLE!! The guard dog one was okay - as was maybe one other, but JEEZ man - I can't even finish it. Its funny though, because DOT has the most ridiculous puzzles ever, but they work somehow - they are at least logical in a twisted carton sort of way. Though I prefer the more real word type puzzles.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Not every game has to be real world. You are also getting into that murky, crazy ground of what is an adventure? To you, it seems it has to involve some suspense or danger or something similar. Not every game can be like that and not everyone wants their games like that. I liked both BS1 and BS2 alot but I also really liked BS3 (which involved danger and suspense) but they are different experiences.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #12

What are you talking about? I said I ENJOYED DOT (the least real world game you can get in my opinion). Though I do tend to lean more toward games like Gabriel Knight and less towards games with a magical or alien focus.

What I don't like are games that want you to think are real world based, but follow no logic what so ever. Smoking out a priest from his tree house only to find out that he won't save a life until you iron his collar is not real world logic, but senseless puzzle filler. I don't care who likes it, but I don't and was just wondering if BS1 was any better or if BS2 gets any better.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

If you're not enjoying Broken Sword 2, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to hunt down Broken Sword 1. They're pretty similar (although people tend to like BS1 better, I think).
Old 03-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #14

The only thing I really remember about BS2 was the girl in the pirate museum. We had a completely thread about her at some point, and the game's worth playing if only for that.

Seriously, if you didn't like the puzzles so far, I don't think it's going to get any different. BS2 is a very weird game, and you never know how seriously you're supposed to take it. I liked it, but I can see why you wouldn't.

BS1 is quite different, I think. There's a lot of humour, but the plot and puzzles are more serious (they make sense, that is). Maybe you'll like it better.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
The only thing I really remember about BS2 was the girl in the pirate museum. We had a completely thread about her at some point, and the game's worth playing if only for that.
There was? where? I had so many questions about that

I preferred BS 2 to BS 1, It was a happy sunshine game with a dark undertone
But my favorite atmosphere is a cloudy rainy atmosphere wich is the complete opposite to this...but i still loved it
Old 03-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
There was? where? I had so many questions about that
See here. Steve Ince more or less came and settled the question at some point, but the speculation is funnier.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
See here. Steve Ince more or less came and settled the question at some point, but the speculation is funnier.
Wait,.. Emily Ketch was a ghost? Wtf? I must've played the game several times and never noticed that - I just assumed;
Spoiler:
...that she'd been in that chest for hours and somehow managed to breathe through the cracks (after all, it was an old chest), especially since she mentioned the whole hide and seek bit so casually

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed the game and all its nonsensicality; BS1 was more serious and perhaps had more substance, but I also welcomed the change.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
woof

Ok...
Spoiler:
I always had a feeling she was a ghost...or at the very least not who she was claiming to be.
She wasnt in the chest not for hours but for Days, and that was a while ago before george even arived there.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #19
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
They're pretty similar (although people tend to like BS1 better, I think).
I disagree. Well, technically, they are of course. And that's about it. BS2: No threat. No villain. No suspense. No pacing. Whatsoever. Personally, I still enjoyed it, thanks to the funny writing. And the pretty pictures.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #20
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I disagree. Well, technically, they are of course. And that's about it. BS2: No threat. No villain. No suspense.
Yeah, Being tied to a chair in a burning room next to a killer spider was just a bit of harmless fun