You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure In Memoriam (inherent flaw?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #1

Default In Memoriam (inherent flaw?)

I just bought 'In Memoriam' today, and started playing it immediately. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm finding that it's reliance on using the internet throws up a immediate flaw (which obviously will get worse the longer you hold off playing the game) in that when searching for the next clue on a name, or word from the game I get links to walkthrough pages for the game!

The in-game search engine works fine for searches that it knows you'll be trying, but if you try a word from the game that it doesn't expect you'll get about ten walkthrough pages all listed. That's exactly the one thing I don't want appearing in my Internet Explorer window when I'm trying to keep myself in the mood of a guy trying to unravel a mystery. Completely wrecks the atmosphere and can unintentionally give you the solution to a puzzle. Obviously this is of no fault of the game designers though Just something that crops up with using the internet for gameplay purposes.

So, anyone thinking of writing a walkthrough of this game and posting it up on the web, please, don't! There seem to be enough out there to completely spoil the game already.

Anyway, just ranting away, don't mind me... gotta get back to the game now. So what are everyone else's opinions on this game?

EDIT: !! Arghh, some even point to this very forum! You should all be ashamed of yourselves...

Mike

Last edited by Mimus; 12-20-2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Most of us didn't have that problem because we had the game before the walkthroughs...

But people DO have the right to use walkthroughs... I don't know why people are so against them....
I have little time to play, and every week my list of unfinished games gets bigger...
Even if I cheated, I would still need to live 200 years to beat them all...

Don't think that I do it beacuse I suck... I have beaten harder games without help...

All I want to say is using walkthroughs isn't always bad... The less time and more games you have the more you will need to use walkthroughs to beat them...

But it is wrong to use walkthroughs if you have lots of time to waste and you buy one game a month...

An unfinished game is like a half read book, or a half eaten cookie (Hmm, cookie), or well, something unfinished...

In others words, your wasting your money if you buy a game and beat in 3 minutes, but its also a waste to buy it and never beat at all... (Specially after spending a fortune on it on Ebay)
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Arghh, some even point to this very forum! You should all be ashamed of yourselves...
Sorry... we felt that as a game forum it was appropriate to have a thread where people could ask and answer gameplay questions about In Memoriam. In fact, AG is pretty unique in that respect because it is probably the most extensive In Memoriam hint thread in North America because of the large number of European regulars we have.

As for opinions on the game, you can read the AG (my) review of the game here.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:56 AM   #4

Yeah, don't worry. I was only kidding ya. I don't have anything against walkthroughs or people wanting help with a game. My post was more a comment on the style of game that 'In Memoriam' is, when people ask for help on that sort of game they will more than likely post on the internet, which will then filter back to the search engines with the same keywords as the original puzzle. As the programmers don't have complete control over internet searches it's not something they can really deal with, but at the end of the day it's not too hard for the gamer to just not follow those links...

Anyhow, I just finished the game today and really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend it to people looking for something different.