You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sierra's greats and their fans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default Sierra's greats and their fans

It really amazes me the devotion that some of the old sierra buffs show towards their old fans.

I first found Ken Williams forum a few years back and posted there reflecting on all the great times I had with sierra's games. No sooner than a day later the man himself replied to me. That really made my day, and just increases my respect for him.

Just yesterday, after I finished Conquest of the Longbow, I decided to check up on Christy Marx. She has her own website, which even gave me info as to what she has been up to lately. Out of the blue I though "What the heck, I'll send her fanmail". I told her how much I enjoyed her two sierra games and how I wish more games were like them today.

Amazingly enough she replied today! She thanked me, and said that emails like these always make her day. She also said she wishes more adventure games were around and that lately she is involved with more MMO games.

Theres something about that little company that existed in Oakhurst that made these people so nice and devoted. I only wish I could say the same thing for today's game companies...
Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I think the Telltale people are pretty nice. But I'm hoping they never go out of business so we won't be asking "whatever happened to them?"
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Here's how I feel about Sierra. (I hate to pimp my own writing, but it's been a while since this article ran and it might be of interest to some who weren't reading the site back then.)

I personally think Telltale's the closest company to the old Sierra around these days. The way they communicate with the fans is very reminiscent.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
God, how I miss the InterAction magazines.
Yes. Those were like crack for my eyes.

Edit: No, really, she said that! Moments ago, and then changed her mind! Ashamed of her torrid love affair with InterAction magazines... Not I, though. Not I.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

You're right, I said it. But the memories were so painful I had to take it back.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Sierra Junkie

Glad to see I'm not the only love-sick Sierra fan. I also loved Interaction, and I have a few old issues lying around. Its still fun to look through them occasionally for nostalgia.

As for telltale, while they seem nice enough, I can't share the love of them. They unfortunately use very damning DRM methods such as hardware fingerprinting. If someone could prove to me the CD version of Bone does not include any such authentication or protection...then maybe I would sing a different tune. Until then.....CSI will be my judge of their work
Old 02-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

The only Sierra adventure games I own are Space Quest 6 (CD) and Leisure Suit Larry (don't remember the number, but it's on multiple floppy discs).

Never finished them and haven't played either in years. I'm more of a LucasArts fan (though I recently started BS1 and absolutely love it). I think I'll go play it now.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
They unfortunately use very damning DRM methods such as hardware fingerprinting.
More damning than copy protection contained inside the game's manual?

I don't understand why you're so worked up about hardware fingerprinting. Telltale has said multiple times on their forum that if you want to install the game on another computer, all you have to do is use the same activation code you got when you first bought the game. Same with the CD version, I'm sure. It does require online authorization when you first install, but so do a lot of games these days. (And as someone pointed out on another thread, you had to have an internet connection to order it, so going online for a second to register shouldn't be a problem. )
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I don't understand why you're so worked up about hardware fingerprinting. Telltale has said multiple times on their forum that if you want to install the game on another computer, all you have to do is use the same activation code you got when you first bought the game. Same with the CD version, I'm sure. It does require online authorization when you first install, but so do a lot of games these days. (And as someone pointed out on another thread, you had to have an internet connection to order it, so going online for a second to register shouldn't be a problem. )
I can't commit to a game that may not work in a few years time. Should telltale dive then authentication is no longer possible. This is the same boat as steam. I'm sorry, but thats just how I feel. I've seen companies and servers go and I think in long term when I buy games. After all, I can still play my old sierra games...even the one's that are almost 2 decades old. This new form of protection may not let the game last beyond the server's life and their promise "We will release a patch" isn't good enough...

I'm telling you, DRM will be the end of PC gaming for me. Its sad but true.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #10

Yeah, Sierra was great. I loved the way the designers would always include a little personal comment on the game in the manual. We didn't get Interaction in Europe, unfortunately (not in France, at least).

And too bad their respect for gamers didn't extend to doing some minimal QA.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Does Samorost 2 require online activation or whatever? And can you play it on more than one computer?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #12

Like you, I also was a sick superfan of the old sierra adventures.
I don't know if I'm allowed to write this here, but, those sierra adventures were our big examples when we created our adventure game Tears of Betrayal.
You should try it out and let us know what you think of it!
You can find a demo at http://www.tears-of-betrayal.com
Old 02-15-2006, 01:28 AM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I think the Telltale people are pretty nice. But I'm hoping they never go out of business so we won't be asking "whatever happened to them?"
Sorry but I just dont see Sierra being compared to Telltale.

And Sierra is teh God. I love Sierra so much, I love the SQ & QFG series more than Monkey Island or any other adventure game series out there. Its pretty personal.

And its the most amazing feeling to be able to talk to the people who made these games, I've spoken to many people thaat I've done research on.

Sierra is just one of those companies, and it was the end of the world when they changed management back in 1998 (?). And ever since I hated the people who drived that company to the ground, and I gutted when SQ7 was canned 3 TIMES!!

Ah well, the company is still alive and there is a tinsy bit of hope, everything is possible in this world.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Ah well, the company is still alive and there is a tinsy bit of hope, everything is possible in this world.
Actually, I'm afraid you have your information slightly wrong. Sierra, as the company you loved, does not exist any longer. They went out of business a long long time ago. The name still exists, but its certainly not the same company. Ken Williams was forced to close down the company for some reason (you can find this out on his website, I don't remember the exact reason anymore), and the name was sold to Interplay or Activision or EA or someone. Since then the name has been mostly used to release crap, but there are some great games occasionally, like Half Life 2. Now its just a brand though. Kind of like Atari is not the Atari of old that created the Atari 2600 and the classic consoles and games. The name alone was bought by some company to help give their games exposure. It's basically a marketing trick, but it works. I mean it had you fooled regarding Sierra, right?

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that Sierra, at least the Sierra you're thinking of, has not existed for a decade or so.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #15
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardician
Kind of like Atari is not the Atari of old that created the Atari 2600 and the classic consoles and games. The name alone was bought by some company to help give their games exposure.
That was Infogrames. I hear they're in some sort of trouble.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #16
Hitch-Hiker

I know the old Sierra is gone, its just hard to believe. At least their not as bad as LA, they can make games but dont. Just stupid.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 02-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Am I alone in not understanding the argument that LA sucks because it could "make games" (surely the remit of any developer) but chooses not to, whereas Sierra somehow doesn't suck because it doesn't exist in the same way as it used to. Quite aside from the fact that LA has a very different staff make-up nowadays, Sierra would be perfectly capable of finding a developer to handle something if they wanted it made.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Am I alone in not understanding the argument that LA sucks because it could "make games" (surely the remit of any developer) but chooses not to, whereas Sierra somehow doesn't suck because it doesn't exist in the same way as it used to. Quite aside from the fact that LA has a very different staff make-up nowadays, Sierra would be perfectly capable of finding a developer to handle something if they wanted it made.
Like they did with LSL.

_

Old 02-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If anything I'd use that as evidence that it is Sierra that sucks, rather than LucasArts. LucasArts aren't using their franchises in a way that tarnishes memories of the previous games; Sierra are.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #20
Hitch-Hiker

Its the new Sierra though, not the old one we know.

_