You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What should I play next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Senior *female* member

Default What should I play next?

I have this daunting list of 50 or 60 unplayed adventures and for the first time I don't know what to play next. Help!

The Dig
3 Skulls of the Toltecs
Ark of Time
Conspiracy/KGB
Chewy: Esc. from F5
three Kyrandia games
Of Light and Darkness
several Legend games,
Nightlong
Reah
Secrets of the Luxor
Space Bar
Starship Titanic
I have no mouth etc.
Timelapse
Spoiler:
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth

Curse of MI
Mirage
and many others.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Dig
Curse of Monkey Island
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

I've only played the first two, mind you. Any of those three should be good, though.

Of course, I didn't like Stupid Invaders, so my opinion may not be valid.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM   #3

What to recommend to somebody who loved Obsidian and The Last Express? You've already played the best things around, really.

I really liked The Dig. Everything about it. But I know that many people didn't like this or that in it. I dunno.

Stay away from KGB. It's bad.

The Kyrandia games are nothing extraordinary, though a nice diversion if you have too much time on your hands. I liked the first, strongly disliked the second one, and thought the third one could have been something rather innovative but failed to be an enjoyable experience. Others usually like the second one best, though.

Nightlong is all right, but never made much of an impression on me.

Woodruff is rubbish. If you really want to play it, ask me first and I'll look up what the awful bugs that made it impossible to complete were, so that you can avoid them (I've written that down somewhere --- though maybe it's only a problem with the French version?).

CMI is great. Yes, it's not Ron Gilbert, blah blah blah, but I actually liked it much more than MI2.

The rest I haven't played.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Id also say CMI

Quote:
CMI is great. Yes, it's not Ron Gilbert, blah blah blah, but I actually liked it much more than MI2.

*Pop*
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo

*Pop*
That's cute. There should be a forum shortcut for it.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
What to recommend to somebody who loved Obsidian and The Last Express? You've already played the best things around, really.
Tsk, tsk.

Quote:
I really liked The Dig. Everything about it. But I know that many people didn't like this or that in it. I dunno.
That's the one I liked best in your list, Fienepien, so that's the one I would recommend, too.

Quote:
Stay away from KGB. It's bad.
Bad? How so? Hard, yes, that's a given, but the atmosphere...

Quote:
The Kyrandia games are nothing extraordinary, though a nice diversion if you have too much time on your hands. I liked the first, strongly disliked the second one, and thought the third one could have been something rather innovative but failed to be an enjoyable experience. Others usually like the second one best, though.
I'm one of the Hands of Fate lovers, but I don't think much of the others.
And frankly, not playing them in order doesn't really matter, so I'd suggest having a go at Kyrandia 2.

Quote:
I certainly don't like it more than MI2, but yes, a more than decent game.

So I'd say The Dig -> Kyrandia 2 -> KGB -> Curse of Monkey Island
Old 01-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'd say Kyrandia 1 or Curse of Monkey Island or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream or KGB.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Okidoki, the Dig it is.

I think it will be a good choice, I don't really feel like playing another humorous game after the over-the-top style of Stupid Invaders.

And after that I'll be yearning for a 1st-person game... preferably FMV.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Let us know how you get on with it, I found the Dig to be reeeealy boring, but I dont know if that could be because I was expecting a comedy like the rest of the LA games...
Old 01-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Okidoki, the Dig it is.

I think it will be a good choice, I don't really feel like playing another humorous game after the over-the-top style of Stupid Invaders.

And after that I'll be yearning for a 1st-person game... preferably FMV.
KGB isn't FMV, but that's still a very different experience from The Dig, and a rather interesting one, at that. If you save often.
And it's first person.

Also, it would be intersting, because KGB is a very speedy first person game, some kind of un-Myst, when The Dig has many similarities with Myst, including the peaceful ambiance.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #11
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

KGB isn't FMV, but the cd version that is called Conspiracy has Donald Sutherland speaking or something like that in the FMV(?) cutscenes.

I once owned the 3,5" version so I don't know much about the cd version.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Easily amused

Let me know what you think of it. I almost started the Dig yesterday, but plugged in Noir instead.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Let me know what you think of it. I almost started the Dig yesterday, but plugged in Noir instead.
Noir! A game with quite a few big hairy warts, but I adored the beautiful black-and-white pics. Fell in love with the very first screen in the office.

PS: And the story is good. Imo, imo, imo.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
Well, like I said, I'd think that The Dig is a good 3rd person inventory-based alternative for Myst lovers.

Let us know what you think of it, when you get around to playing it.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Well, like I said, I'd think that The Dig is a good 3rd person inventory-based alternative for Myst lovers.
Interesting. I love Myst, and I got hopelessly stuck in The Dig around ten seconds in. That pretty much killed all interest, but who knows?- maybe I would have liked it.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Interesting. I love Myst, and I got hopelessly stuck in The Dig around ten seconds in. That pretty much killed all interest, but who knows?- maybe I would have liked it.
The beginning isn't really compelling, if you're talking about the part were your floating in space in your suits.
I would give it another chance, just in case, even though there might be some inconsistancies in the characters' behaviour (a la Beneath a Steel Sky) that might put you off. The story is much better that BASS's one, though, in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
Adventure Game Researcher

Just a small voice for Kyrandia, I really liked all three, through the third one with mostly Malcom was not easy to take at times, the screens and the scenery are lovely and were very inovative at their time, the colors of the first one, and the screens are paintings and really nice...and the music is lovely too especially if you can set up a Roland synthesizer or mod, the original music was very very nice.......in full voices....

The Hand of Fate, the second one, has a rather strongly crafted female figure, sort of like an early April from LJ, and she is a little hard to take at times, but the imagination of the scenes, especially once you get up into the mountains is really lovely too. There is a very interesting article on the creation of the Kyranida series by its creator, there was a text verision of the first one that was used to build the back story, and they never had enough funding or support from Westwood, and a difficult producer who left after the seond one hampered the releases......but I feel after long thought and study that they remain as a set quite a classic in their own way...... there is a tough labyrinth in Kyrandia I, but there are treasures that reward you for perserverance.....remember to always keep at least two fire berries in your inventory or you will die very quickly....

the artilce on the making of the series is here on this site in the archives. Rick Gush, designer of the Kyrandia games interview by Evan Dickens - posted on May 20, 2002

Starship Titanic has got some nice screens, but is a bit of a long hunt the thimble sort of story.....had nice visuals for its times....the Dig is a classic and you may like it, I have no mouth is definitely another classic and you may enjoy it for that.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I enjoyed The Dig, except for the grainy graphics. It wouldn't have been a problem, except that in a few places you needed to see what you were doing and that made it kinda hard.

Lynsie
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I have this daunting list of 50 or 60 unplayed adventures and for the first time I don't know what to play next. Help!

The Dig
3 Skulls of the Toltecs
Ark of Time
Conspiracy/KGB
Chewy: Esc. from F5
three Kyrandia games
Of Light and Darkness
several Legend games,
Nightlong
Reah
Secrets of the Luxor
Space Bar
Starship Titanic
I have no mouth etc.
Timelapse
Spoiler:
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth

Curse of MI
Mirage
and many others.
*gasp*
Are all of those original games!
*faints*
Old 01-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #20
tsa
Playing character

Default Starship Titanic

Maybe you should ask yourself: what shall I play when I've played almost all the games on the list, and there's absolutely nothing else left to do. Starship Titanic is even then a bad choice. That was one of the worst adventure games I ever played. Keep it well hidden somewhere, but keep it. A bad adventure game is always better than no adventure game.