You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure time before walktrough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #1

Default time before walktrough

How long does of solving with no luck, does it take for you guys before you take a quick look at Walktrough?

For me I would says between 8-10. For more correct when I know I have tried every logic thing a couple of hundred times and find myself trying to talk to a door for the 7th time .
Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

It depends on how much fun I'm having with the game. If it starts to feel more like work than play, then I consult a walkthrough or hint guide (I like the Universal Hint System, because it gives hints first, then the solution if you need it) within about fifteen minutes of getting stuck. Especially if the character walks slowly and there is poor path-finding navigation and there is a lot of large rooms to backtrack through. Like Syberia, Moment of Silence, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Except I actually liked Moment of Silence despite those flaws. Same with Still Life. I loved the story, but some of those puzzles were either too difficult or too much work to spend too much of my time on.

Also, at this point, I have mountains of adventure games that I still have never played through, and I'm currently more interested in experiencing the story than I am with solving obscure puzzles or finding hidden pixels. Once I've whittled down the games to just a few, I'll probably take more time with them.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #3

It depends entierely on the game and on the puzzle.
For example, the lockpicking puzzle in Still Life felt tedious to me, so I used a walkthrough after an hour of useless bickering. But I almost never use walkthrough in Myst games, because I know that patience, observation, and logic are the key, and I love the way things start to make sense after a while. As opposed to the empty feeling you got after, say, combing a fish and an egg to get a stuffed hamster.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

I only use the uhs hint system. Of course it varies as lot how long before I peek at a hint. Sometimes I get restless near the end of a game and feel I just want to finish it.
I felt that Myst End of ages was a lot easier than the ones before. Have anyone else experiensed that? Didn´t need much help there.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Senior *female* member

Yeah, what they said, depends on how much I like the game and the puzzle. On the whole I have less patience in a linear adventure, where I can't go do something else for a while and come back later.

When my gut tells me that my brain is wired the wrong way for a particular puzzle, usually the mathematical ones like the bridge in Schizm, I go for the WT after only a few attempts to solve it. There were some pretty impossible puzzles in the Feeble Files. The paint puzzle and that awful startdate thingy. I liked the game, so I wasted a lot of time on them. And when I finally gave up, I found that even the explanation in the WT was beyond me.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
I felt that Myst End of ages was a lot easier than the ones before. Have anyone else experiensed that? Didn´t need much help there.
I played with a friend, and we got seriously stuck at one puzzle, partly because I had tried a drawing but hadn't done it properly.
Otherwise, it was a bit easier than the others. I wish we had never been able to complete the said puzzle though (did it just yesterday) , because that would have spared us the pitiful ending scene.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I used to never read walkthroughs (mainly because this was before I had good internet access). Yes, that meant that I sometimes spent weeks stuck, but I had more patience then and just lost myself in the world instead.

Nowadays how long would I play? Well, it depends on the overall quality of the game and how much I'm enjoying it. When I was playing a LucasArts game I always felt the solution was going to become evident. When I played The Moment of Silence or The Silver Earring I just assumed that the puzzle was entirely unprompted, and so looked up the answer right away. The number of times that I read the solution and thought "Why the hell would I want to try that without being given any reason to?" made me want to cry ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

If I get to a certain level of stuckness (like industrial-strength adhesive style)
then I check me a walkthru.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I tend to just use UHS Hints... mainly because 9/10s of the time if I fail to solve a puzzle it's simply because I didn't pixel hunt enough to find an item or location (and once I read a hint and know I missed something, finding the solution becomes obvious to me). The other 1/10 of the time staring at one or two hints is generally enough to get the brain cells flowing anyway.

There's no set time length for when I finally choose to look at a hint... just whenever I reach a point of "OK, I could swear I've looked at everything and talked to everyone and I just can't see what in the heck I'm missing!"

The only time I read a walkthrough while playing a game is when I've read all the hints and I'm still stumped as hell, which happens very, very rarely. I do sometimes read walkthroughs *after* I've finished a game, though, to see if there's some "easter eggs" or other little details I missed, or just because it's fun to read how other people view a game.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
When my gut tells me that my brain is wired the wrong way for a particular puzzle, usually the mathematical ones like the bridge in Schizm, I go for the WT after only a few attempts to solve it.
Eew, mathematical puzzles!

--Erwin
Old 01-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Fulci lives

I almost always use a walkthrough when i play an adventure, but only when i´m really, really stuck.
In my latest completed game, Fahrenheit, i only used a walkthrough for the action sequences, many of them we´re really f***ing annoying.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #12
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

In the old days I actually tried for a couple of days to find a solution to the problem. I remember being stuck for days with Rise of the Dragon, Monkey Island 2, Rex Nebular and Shivers. I never tried to consult a walkthru because I was really enjoying the games.

Nowadays, if I get stuck I usually give it max 15 minutes before I consult a walkthru. I don't have the time or the patience anymore