You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia differences on PC and console versions, or it critically challenged?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane
Default Syberia differences on PC and console versions, or it critically challenged?

I'm reading the review for Syberia, which I hadn't gotten around to reading until recently. Sounds like the game to get. Plays like The Longest Journey, feels like french poetry, great character, good enviroments, and other things. So I read up on it on metacritic and it like an 82 or something for the PC. Sounds great. Look at the Xbox version. It's like a 62. I think, okay, there must have been some technical problems in the transition. Unfornately, this wasn't the case. The console critics apparently gave it low scores for it feeling too rushed...

I mean, I think it sounds good, but gives for the difference in the reviews? Sounded like they were rating the game itself both times, not the technical stuff. I'm just confused.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #2

I don't think Syberia is a game for the console players. It's a very slow game...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
gin soaked boy

Plays like The Longest Journey? Now that's a first...
Old 10-08-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
That certainly wasn't my impression from the demo of Syberia...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
I'm reading the review for Syberia, which I hadn't gotten around to reading until recently. Sounds like the game to get. Plays like The Longest Journey, feels like french poetry, great character, good enviroments, and other things. So I read up on it on metacritic and it like an 82 or something for the PC. Sounds great. Look at the Xbox version. It's like a 62. I think, okay, there must have been some technical problems in the transition. Unfornately, this wasn't the case. The console critics apparently gave it low scores for it feeling too rushed...

I mean, I think it sounds good, but gives for the difference in the reviews? Sounded like they were rating the game itself both times, not the technical stuff. I'm just confused.

No technical problems. The controls were adapted for a gamepad in the console version, but they worked well enough.

I think it's like Radiobuzz said - that the console reviewers thought it was too slow and possibly too short for the audience they were writing for.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
Banned User

I played it first for xbox, and I thought it was amazing. I loved it in fact. The only problem I see you running into is that unless you have a highdef tv that will let you play the game in 1080i, it's hard to see some of the stuff you need to pick up. I have a HDTV so I didn't have any problems, but I tried it on my parents tv, and it was hard to see items I needed to pick up. So unless you have a wicked tv, get the PC version.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Do you read the reviews on this site?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Well in my opinion games like Syberia are better for PC and are not suitable for console gaming. The reason is they are mouse driven and lot of exploring & pixel hunthing involved, perhaps on the other hand consoles are for RPG's and Action Games.

Thats why the X-Box version got a lower rating.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Do you read the reviews on this site?
Reviews? You mean there's reviews here somewhere?

Syberia has different (ie. easier) puzzles and there's much less interactivity (there's no "look" command).
Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
I think it's like Radiobuzz said - that the console reviewers thought it was too slow and possibly too short for the audience they were writing for.
And BTW, I only want to clarify that I really like both Syberia's. But even for me it was a little slow, so for the console players it's like staring at a rock.