You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam and Max: Why is it funny?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 AM   #21
Dr Uberman

It wasn't that funny, DOTT shats all over it.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:49 AM   #22
Staff Member

I forgot... King Of The Creatures is the funniest song ever. period.
And what does the word "shats" mean? I think you have some tense issues... "shits" or "shat", please, not both.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
S&M is pretty high brow, so it can't be considered low brow, toilet-humor.
OK. But it's definatly slapstick. Too slapstick. By the way, what's this 'Disenfranchise' game. Title looks good but where's the rest of the site?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #24
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I didn't really find Sam and Max knee-slapper funny, more of a chuckling quietly funny. I'm definitely laughing out more now that I'm playing the first Broken Sword for the first time and I laughed at a lot at the Monkey Island games.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 AM   #25
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
I didn't really find Sam and Max knee-slapper funny, more of a chuckling quietly funny. I'm definitely laughing out more now that I'm playing the first Broken Sword for the first time and I laughed at a lot at the Monkey Island games.
Same here. I didn't find Sam and Max all that funny to be honest. Monkey Island was funnier. And I stil think that Broken Sword 1 is one of the funniest games I have ever played mainly because of George Stobbard's sarcastic comments and one liners. IMO, Sam and Max's humour is too slapstick which is why it didn't really work for me.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #26

Yeah... Discworld Noir is my fav comedy adventure. You tried any of the Discworlds?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
I haven't played any of the Monkeys yet. I have laughed outloud more at BS1 than any other game I've played.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #28
Leo

I loved Discworld Noir. It's the only Discworld game I played but it got me interested in the books. Like Broken Sword, I loved the one liners and I thought the voice acting for Lewton was excellent.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #29

I had the first Discworld also. The humor in that was slightly more slapstick and less sophisticated yet still was very witty. You could tell it a Pratchett story a mile off.

I've completed Discworld Noir over 15 times now (yep) and I long for another game like it. I hope Tony Tough 2 brings in the same witty remarks to that of Lewton.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #30
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I haven't played any of the Monkeys yet. I have laughed outloud more at BS1 than any other game I've played.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've only played Curse of and Escape from (I can't track down the first two), but I remembered laughing out a lot especially with Escape from Monkey Island.

I just got Discworld Noir -- I'm hoping I can install it correctly (after playing BS1). I love Prachett's books.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #31

- I don't think the cute little robot likes its new orders, Sam.

- I don't recall giving it a cute little choice.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #32
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Humour is rather subjective at the end of the day isn't it? Some are more tickled by game-play humour, like DoTT; while some like humour in dialogue, like Monkey Island. I'd personally felt that Sam & Max was the most humourous I'd encountered, for two reasons.

(1) There isn't a single character out there that is as eccentric as the hyper-kinetic bunny-thingy. The comments he made is lame, but just to associate that cute little face with his not-so-cute actions is just humourous.

(2) No other games boast as much humour in dialogue as Sam and Max. While a lot of games emphasis humour via gameplay, the dialogue just between Sam and Max themselves are just simply deightful.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
No other games boast as much humour in dialogue as Sam and Max. While a lot of games emphasis humour via gameplay, the dialogue just between Sam and Max themselves are just simply deightful.
there is more humour in a single room in the "DiscWorld" and "Broken Swords" than in "Sam and Max".

I guess I like sarcastic humour. I never got what was so funny about the bunny. He doesn't look cute...... he doesn't look funny either.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #34
Under pressure.

Discworld's humor was at times a little too forced. The reoccurring monkey thing was even downright annoying.

--Erwin
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #35
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
there is more humour in a single room in the "DiscWorld" and "Broken Swords" than in "Sam and Max".
Yep!

"This must be the door to the dining room. It's got teeth marks all over it."
Old 10-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #36
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Max: "Gratuitous acts of senseless violence are my forte!"

The comedy in Sam N' Max seems like its more about the delivery. Sam's deadpan style contrasting with Max's volatile outbursts; it's quirky. I don't know about 'toilet humor' though, it's more twisted than it is gross.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #37
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Wow apparently people all have different tastes. A shocking discovery!

I'm sure this thread is going to change quite a few opinions around here (especially about which game is funnier!), so it should definitely continue. Lots of progress will be made. Many interesting truths uncovered, to be sure.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #38
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax

I guess I like sarcastic humour. I never got what was so funny about the bunny. He doesn't look cute...... he doesn't look funny either.
I like the satrical humour in Discworld too. But IMO, somehow the humour in the game is dwarved by the books Pratchett wrote. Probably it's because of my own preconceived notions formed from the wildly successful Discworld series that ruined the humour in the game. Or maybe it's just not THAT funny...

Sam & Max on the other hand is refreshing. Toilet humour? Maybe. But you need some jokes to be straight-in-the-face sometimes. Just like this pan!
terramax
Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 AM   #39
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Wow apparently people all have different tastes. A shocking discovery!

I'm sure this thread is going to change quite a few opinions around here (especially about which game is funnier!), so it should definitely continue. Lots of progress will be made. Many interesting truths uncovered, to be sure.
Well, we'll definitely learn sarcastic humor has been played out to death.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #40
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHousequake
Well, we'll definitely learn sarcastic humor has been played out to death.
I laughed when I read this. Don't know what that says about my sense of humor...