You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) vs its Predecessor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #1

Default Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) vs its Predecessor

I'm not sure if many of you have played the first game Quantic Dreams ever released, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, but for those of you who have, you'll notice a lot of the elements in Indigo Prophecy's game engine seem to have been ported straight off of Nomad Soul's and then revamped and upgraded. This is probably why Indigo looks somewhat dated today...I mean Nomad Soul is about five or six years old now. I'm going to sit and compare some aspects of these two games now if you don't mind (without spoiling a damn thing).

The core character models from Indigo look like they could have been walking around on the streets of Omikron. NPC behavior in the background (everyone seems to be walking around, doing something, living their own virtual lives) was also something present in Nomad Soul five years ago. I guess this is all because of the fact that Nomad Soul used the same motion capture technology as Indigo Prophecy? Also Nomad Soul's background art, level design, architecture and environments still decent today. Both games also attempt to "trick" the player into thinking that they're getting into a nonlinear story with limitless possibilities where each choice is crucial, but they end up being quite linear in the long run. I'm also going to go as far as pointing out that the intros to both Nomad Soul and Indigo Prophecy (with the main character speaking directly to you about something terrible happening to them) seem almost identical. So what's the verdict here? Is Indigo Prophecy a spiced up version of Nomad Soul's engine and technology?

Omikron is still my favorite adventure game to date... and I'm sticking to this statement even post-Indigo Prophecy. Indigo had some of the best cinematographic thriller feel to it that I have ever seen in a game, but even Nomad Soul had some of this as well...only it's spread out much longer and fits in with more of a game-like atmosphere than a movie. It's the only game I've ever played to date that has elements from 4 genres in one game: adventure (which dominates most of the game), FPS, fighting (hand to hand combat), and to a lesser extent, RPG. Only thing it didn't cover was RTS...and of course Simon Says.

I think Indigo Prophecy is a VERY user friendly game that even non-gamers can get into...whereas the Nomad Soul was a gamer's game. You had to have experienced and enjoyed games in multiple genres over the years in order to fully appreciate what Nomad Soul was offering. I still don't know why the hell it was neglected by the gaming community...maybe it was just ahead of it's time. The extent of the character control was far more technical than what we get in Indigo Prophecy. I know I would have enjoyed Indigo a lot more if had some REAL gaming elements but then again, I guess Indigo Prophecy was intended to be an interactive movie from the start. Hell, with the sanity meter and dialogue timer elements and what not that Indigo Prophecy used, at times I thought I was playing The Sims, dare I say it. A lot of times I felt like they just threw in some mini interactive sequences just for the sake of calling it a game, when you probably would have just been better off watching the whole thing.

By the way...those of you complaining about how short Indigo Prophecy is...I don't think any of you could play through Nomad Soul in less than four days without a walk through. That's another thing I really enjoyed...the enormous length of that game. And I'm not talking four days of on and off playing...I'm talking spending a good 40 hours on this baby. This may or may not be due to the fact that the environments in Omikron are friggin enormous compared to most games, you have shitloads of missions/quests to do and NPCs to see, and some of the fps levels and hand to hand battles can get rough. But you eat all of that up by taking breaks. Took me approximately 2 weeks of on and off playing to finally complete that game.

Oh and, back in 1999 or 2000 when The Nomad Soul came out...it was rated TEEN (13+) ...not even Mature... and your character is not only shown getting it on in that game, but the game is rife with delicious nudity. Where were the media and Hilary doing back then?

At any rate, I've been rambling on so long now that I don't even know what the point of this thread was anymore. I thought Indigo Prophecy was really entertaining, and Quantic Dreams has definitely accomplished their goal of creating another unique title. I pray it ends up with a better fate than Omikron had. If you guys never played that one, I highly recommend it. I'm thinking of reinstalling it again after thoroughly going through all of Indigo Prophecy's facets

Last edited by entranced; 09-29-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Staff Member

I love both, but I prefer IP over Omikron. Omikron wasn't as mature or as compelling, and it had more rough edges. They tried to pack to much in, and it wasn't always successful. Plus even more irritating movement controls than IP.

As for similarities; they may have used some of the same tech, but I think you're out on a limb a bit here. They're not exactly Doom/Quake or DOTT/SamnMax levels of similarity are they? Really quite, quite different games in terms of just about everything.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #3

There's similarity between Sam'n'Max and DOTT?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:15 AM   #4
OB

Quote:
This is probably why Indigo looks somewhat dated today
I keep hearing how blocky the graphics are in Fahrenheit, but I'm not seeing it. I just don't get it. I much prefer what it has to some rubbery, clayish, stoned looking normalmapped crap in Doom 3 or any of the other so-called cutting edge games(graphically).

Quote:
I pray it ends up with a better fate than Omikron had.
It's selling craploads in Europe. The 2nd Golden Age is here.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:14 AM   #5

I have both games and I have to say I enjoyed Omikron more because the story lasted longer and was more original and it had more things to do and explore.

Basically, in a nutshell.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:36 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Liked Omikron more, and im happy that they announced Omikron's sequel too, Kharma
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #7

Omikron was pretty flawed, IMO. A decent game, but could have been much better (which is why I'm excited about the sequel). I wouldn't say that Omikron is the predecessor to Fahrenheit, though. There are _some_ similarities, but they're really just two different games made by the same studio.