You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Sceen of the Day - Friday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 03:34 AM   #1
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck
Default Adventure Game Sceen of the Day - Friday

www.josephgoss.com
Old 09-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Is that Gold Rush?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #3

Looks like Gold Rush to me. It's definitely a Sierra game. And I think I remember that there was a total of 250 points to be scored.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Yep, that's Gold Rush. That white house is the Newspaper building, if I remember correctly. I never got out of the town, though.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I need to get that game someday.

Gold Rush is an excellent game, one of my favourite *old* Sierra games.
I've only played the pirated version of the game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Looks like Gold Rush to me. It's definitely a Sierra game. And I think I remember that there was a total of 250 points to be scored.
Well, if you took the Panama route to California the total score would be changed to 255. That's the only Sierra game that did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Gold Rush is an excellent game, one of my favourite *old* Sierra games.
I've only played the pirated version of the game.
There's something weird about the pirated copies of this game - it opens with a screen saying "and Sierra are proud to present...". There's obviously a company name missing, and it was probably cut out along with the copy protection screen (and that's a cool copy protection screen! if you fail, you get to walk yourself to the gallows, and before you die you can type in some last words!!). I do have the non-cracked version, but since I don't have the manual, I was never able to pass the copy protection and see the missing screen with the other company's name. Can anyone solve this age-old mystery and provide a screenshot or at least tell me what's the information in the missing screen?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 AM   #7

If I remember correctly, time actually affected the game. The cracked version of the game that I owned was faulty in the respect that time never passed, or something along those lines.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
Elegantly copy+pasted

You can get a txt file of the manual on The Underdogs. Will that help you get past the copy protection, Aurebesh?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #9

I have a copy of it on my old Apple IIgs, non-cracked. I do remember that gallows scene, and yes, you got to control it. I think when the game asked you the questions, it had a cool closeup of an old gold-miner, with a big beard or something. I can't remember that too well, it's been a while.

I actually got right to the end on that version. I've since beat the game, but only the pirated PC copy that floats about the internet. Maybe someday when I'm extremely bored, I'll bust out my old AppleIIgs and give you some screenshots.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
You can get a txt file of the manual on The Underdogs. Will that help you get past the copy protection, Aurebesh?
No, that's just the technical manual, I have that one. What I miss is the "history book" that came with the game. The copy protection answers are in that book.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #11

Here ya go, pictures from the infamous "Copy Protection" of Gold Rush!

About to be asked a question...

And after getting the question wrong. The only interactive part is being able to type your last words, which the character utters before the trapdoor opens.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 AM   #12

Those are nice. But what happens if you answer correctly to the copy protection? I never saw the screen that come up after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
There's something weird about the pirated copies of this game - it opens with a screen saying "and Sierra are proud to present...". There's obviously a company name missing, and it was probably cut out along with the copy protection screen
Old 09-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Those are nice. But what happens if you answer correctly to the copy protection? I never saw the screen that come up after that.
Ask and you shall receive:

Since the copy protection is based on real facts, some quick googling can usually provide the correct answer. Here's the real "Proud to Present" screen.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #14

I guess this mystery insists to remain unsolved! The link to the screenshot is broken. BerserkerTails, can you please repost? Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #15
SamNMax

I've been meaning to get that.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #16

Stupid Imageshack... Here's the repost.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #17

Ah, so it's the MacNeill Bros. I thought they just worked for Sierra, I didn't know they had a seperate company of sorts... BTW, I listened to the advice and googled for the copy protection answers, which are supposed to be in the history book I'm missing, and I passed! So I got to see this screen myself! Thanks for the great advice.
Anyway, one mystery is solved, another one replaces it! This is the screen you get (instead of the one posted above by BerserkerTails) if the game is cracked: (note - if you can't see it, try refreshing or click here)

As you can see, it's not only that the MacNeill logo is missing, but the entire scenery has changed, from a night scene with dark mountains to a sunny scene with grass and trees! How can that happen?!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #18

If the above screenshot cannot be seen, here it is from imageshack this time:

No one finds that weird?!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
If the above screenshot cannot be seen, here it is from imageshack this time:

No one finds that weird?!
The landscape in the background is from a scene during the stagecoach journey to the west. My guess is that the MacNeill bros background image somehow got replaced by this ingame landscape in the cracked version of the game.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #20

Ah, this scene is taken from the game itself? I thought it's just some unused opening screen that the crack accessed to bypass the copy protection... I finished the game a long time ago so I don't remember. It's still weird though. Do you have by any chance a savegame of this spot or at least a screenshot?

EDIT: I found the explanation! It's over at the SierraGamer forum, click here: http://www.sierrafan.com/bbs/BBSTopicPage.asp/t/4194/p/1.
It's one of the last messages.

Last edited by Aurebesh; 10-01-2005 at 05:46 PM.